• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeping in an XJ

GSequoia said:
By that logic I can sleep in the passenger seat of a 1984 Chevrolet Camaro. :shhh:

Or the backseat of an 73 Trans Am:lecture:

I am a pretty big guy, and stand around 6'4. I actually found that sleeping in the back of my XJ was the best camping experience ive ever had :p I stuck a twin sized air matress in the back, which actually hangs out over the edge a little bit, then left the rear hatch up, and took some ground tarp material and some clips and created an enclosure from the hatch. The break down and set up is pretty damn quick and it was nice and comfy and no worries about rain etc. Planning to build an extension with a step that will plug into my rear reciever and sewing a custom tarp for the hatch.

Ist time I slept in the Cherokee it was bad times. I arrived late and didn't feel like dumping the tire, tools and seat and I had two dogs with me.
It was winter and I had along the electric heater, but the campsite was overloaded and could only get it to work on the 500W setting, then one of the dogs parked their arse infront of it and that was it for heat. I slept, but it wasn't real comfortable.

2nd time, well, I guess there wasn't one ;)

If I have time enough to empty the Jeep, I have time enough to throw my 2 man REI tent up and stake it down. Takes 5 minutes to set it up and even less to take it down.

I have seen folks go as far as to put up cardboard "curtains" in the windows, remove the rear seat bottom and otherwise empty the Jeep. It appears there is enough room to do the matress mombo as I have seen more than one Cherokee rocking at night and sheepish grins from the couple in the morning when asked if they heard any sounds like someone screaming "Oh Yes!" in the morning.

Im 5 foot 6 and fit near perfect with the seat folded down. sleeping back there with the wife was way to cozy.

My best suggestion is to get one of those foam camping pads to help with softening the floor. still very little time to setup and take down but a huge improvment in comfort.

I have slept in the back of mine twice now, last time being Saturday night (2 nights ago) . I pit an air mattress in there and leave the hatch up . It wasn't raining , so no worries about that , but it's not bad , really . I don't mind , but haven't had to share with the wife ... yet .

I almost completely forgot this, ha. The last time I was going to sleep, (more like pass out) in the back of my jeep was out in CO. It was late fall, sorta cold and this chick felt bad for me so she took me back to her place. Now she's my wife... And there you go.

Jay VT said:
Or the backseat of an 73 Trans Am:lecture:

Wow, very nice, do you still have that car? That is probably one of my favorite cars especially a Buckeneer Red SD 455 one!!!! :guitar:

Slept a few hours in the front seat after a 19 hour Fordyce run in 04' I think it was with the Sierra Crew. Good times. I had way too much crap in the Jeep to even think about sleeping in the back. I can attest to there being a good amount of room in the back of a 2 dr with the bottom cushion removed and the front seats moved all the way up and folded down.

Last edited:
Having one of the few XJ's that does not drip oil, I just sleep under it with a nice foam pad. You only get up once quikly.

I'm 6' tall and I sleep just fine in the back seat. Yes, alcohol helps out a bit.

I removed the back seat completely & installed a flat floor that buts up against the front seats. It adds a couple more inches & increases the amount of crap you can stuff in the back. JIM.

I've slept in the back of a 2 door S-10 Blazer enough times I have never tried sleeping in the XJ. I have storage boxes bolted to the floor in the rear, so it would cramp up the room quickly. It's not that hard to set up a tent quickly, even in the rain, but if it came down to it, I'd probably just recline the driver's seat as far back as it could go and sleep there.

If you are caged, you can string a hammock between the 'A' pillar and the 'C' pillar. You don't have to remove all the stuff in the back. Am 5'10" and running D and C cage.

internal hammock... pretty ingenious.

I've had to sleep in my XJ before after my alternator died, I tried both front seats and the bench seat. spent the most time in the front passenger seat.

I know there's enough room in the back for two, but with a spare tire, tools and gear, it's tight even for one person. some great ideas in this thread, though :)

so far the xj is the most uncomfortable place ive ever slept, partly due to having junk in the back and the wonderful non-reclining seats

Lodi Jim said:
If you are caged, you can string a hammock between the 'A' pillar and the 'C' pillar. You don't have to remove all the stuff in the back. Am 5'10" and running D and C cage.

Just be careful whats under you and dont rollover in your sleep.

Ive slept on the back seat with my legs hanging out the door on a drive to Colorado last year. On the way back from Reno I slept in the back with my dog, Not to bad. Im 6'1".

wow, totenkopf for an avitar. let yer hate out brotha!
lol

im plannign a road trip for a week, taking out the back seat bottom, queen size air bed in the back, girlfriend, sleeping bags, and bringing a tent to throw all the gear in at night.

Back