• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeping in an XJ

I got a little hammered the other night and just pulled the XJ down a creek , threw the seats down , aired up my queen size mattress and was good to go .

'Till I woke up the next morning wondering where the hell I was at ..... :shiver:

I tried to sleep in mine once. I'm 5'9". I was in a mummy bag and still woke up pretty damn cold. I've found setting up my little REI dome tent is quick and incredibly comfortable and warmer than the Jeep. I do alot of sand dune trips, and if I use the Jeep as a windblock the tent is fine.

last weekend I towed a fiends xj out to the MDR race and ended up sleeping in the front seat of my chevy all streched out and comfy he slept in the back seat of his xj and said it was comfy, granted he is 17 and still flexable enough to get in the back seat of a 2dr but he looked like a hamster all curled up.

all i've ever managed to get is a coupla uncomfortable hours of sleep at a time on road trips... drivers seat back as far as i could get it which wasn't far... tried stretching across front seats no good either (stick shift)... lesson learned, don't pack so much crap in the back seat...

BigG said:
I think that if I were to put 2dr front seats in with the tumble forward lever that I could get enough room to lie straight. then you could sleep 2 with the center console separating your heads. It's a hard sleep, but it works.

That's the first part of my plan. I've already put in YJ seat hinges that flip forward (probably the same as the 2dr xj hinges). The next step will be a sleeping platform that sits above the wheel wells and extends to the rear of the front seats.

I use a tent cot from cabellas have had it for 6 or 7 years and is easy to set up comfy warn also have a tarp that i attact to the lift gate , just park get the cot out and unfold it and sleep to easy Jim

if you bring a small tent to keep your stuff in, the air mattress in tthe back worked wonderful. (2 door fold forward front seats a must!) even cozy sleeping with the girl, but she was miserable from the 2nd degree sunburn.

Lodi Jim said:
If you are caged, you can string a hammock between the 'A' pillar and the 'C' pillar. You don't have to remove all the stuff in the back. Am 5'10" and running D and C cage.

I know a few people have done this now, does anyone have any pictures?

rokclimbertx said:
all i've ever managed to get is a coupla uncomfortable hours of sleep at a time on road trips... drivers seat back as far as i could get it which wasn't far... tried stretching across front seats no good either (stick shift)... lesson learned, don't pack so much crap in the back seat...

Just ran my kid to college a couple of weeks ago and this was how I slept in the XJ. I'm 6'3" so it ain't too comfortable, but it beats not sleepin' when you hit the wall. I think a roof-top tent would be the bomb, but I put so much stuff up there.

Well Ill let yall know how I feel about sleeping in the jeep. Im going to Barnwell this weekend and Im sleeping in my jeep. But im not packing a whole lot of stuff. Maybe coulple of stuff but thats it.

derrickdrew17 said:
Well Ill let yall know how I feel about sleeping in the jeep. Im going to Barnwell this weekend and Im sleeping in my jeep. But im not packing a whole lot of stuff. Maybe coulple of stuff but thats it.

Barnwell SC?

They have a big skydivin boogie there every year.

My GF and I just put an air matress in the back last weekend, worked great.

WaXJ_Skier said:
My GF and I just put an air matress in the back last weekend, worked great.
Whadaya both Remi sized?
You two just curl up in the console when things get cold?

Well its Barnwell Mountian.. in gilmer Texas its been in the 40's at night.

Roxtar said:
Whadaya both Remi sized?

no kidding. there's no way I could sleep with another person back there...
though I am 6' 4" and 240 lbs...
not so good for the back of the jeep.
I'm thinking of making a roofrack and some simple tent to toss on top of it. anyone ever make one?
got pics?

Roxtar said:
Whadaya both Remi sized?

I'm 5' 10" and she is 5' 7" we just slept diagonaly in the back.

I got a 98 2dr, its one hell of a fit back there. I took out the rear butt seat and folded the back down, thre the front 2 seats forward and loaded the back with about 6 blankets.
There was plenty of room for my and my lady... then again she is 5" tall. I'm 5'9" so I was on a angle. I twas 40* out side and it was cold inside, windows up under 2 blankets.

Next step is to get an air mattress and sleep with my head at the hatch and feet up on the back of the seats... should keep me warmer with my bloodflow controlled.

selarep said:
Next step is to get an air mattress and sleep with my head at the hatch and feet up on the back of the seats... should keep me warmer with my bloodflow controlled.

thats what we did the second night, works great until you have to take a piss in the middle of the night.

WaXJ_Skier said:
thats what we did the second night, works great until you have to take a piss in the middle of the night.

hah, yeah i know. she hated it, I dont think she ever popped a squat before... there's plenty of room for getting dirty though!

Back