• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest '07

Re: Sierra Fest 07'

Rob D said:
This sound like a great plan. And late enough to ensure all the trails should be open. I don't know if I'll be able to make it for the whole week, but even the last few days should prove to be a lot of fun. Just curious tho, if you fill up at Shaver will that be enough gas to carry you through Dusy/Ersham? Or is extra needed? Anyway, just my two cents, the dates work well for me.

No problems getting through Dusy on a tank of gas. In fact, most can fill up in Prather and make it back to Prather, or even Clovis. The way we're going to do this, though, gas could be an issue. We'll just need to bring those gas cans that we have. There is also gas in Dinkey Creek to top off. Also, we plan on running Dusy and Coyote so we can come back through Shaver to Dinkey so we can fill up. The gas issue won't be any single run, it's the multiple trails that we want to do.

Here is a tentative schedule. It would be good to get a little feedback on it, and there is some flexibility when we know how many rigs will be attending. Dates are Aug 5-12.

First run will be on Sunday, and it will be a day run. The thought is to have two trails available for each day. Starting on Sun will give people some travel time on Sat so no one needs to make a mad dash to the hills after work on Friday. We'll camp at base camp Sat and Sun nights, and have dinner in camp Sun evening after the run. Mon through Thursday will be camping on the trail with two groups, one group on Dusy and one group to Coyote Lake. The Dusy group will have one lay day at Ershim Lake (a very cool camping spot, BTW). The Coyote Lake group can have lunch at Strawberry Lake and then go on past Red Lake and camp at Coyote Lake, where they'll camp for three nights. Tues can be a run to Mirror Lake for lunch and then back to Coyote, and Wed those who want to can do a hike into the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness and see some of the Dinkey Lakes, which is a very scenic area. The scenery and camping at both Ershim Lake and Coyote Lake are spectacular. Both groups will get back to base camp on Thurs, going through Shaver Lake to get gas, ice or anything else that's needed.

Friday we'll do a day run on the Swamp Lake Trail and something else, maybe a run to Coyote Lake for those who did Dusy. Saturday we can all run Bald Mtn Trail, possibly in two groups meeting at the lookout at the top for lunch, and it should be easy to get everyone back at camp fairly early. Saturday evening we'll serve dinner and have a raffle. Sunday folks can head for home or do another short run.

You can come for the week, or just for the weekend. The trails offer something for everyone, and you can't beat the scenery or the company. Should be a very nice trip.

I will try to attend, as a former XJ owner. We might be nearby already, as my in-laws have a cabin up at Hume Lake, so this shouldn't be a long drive from there.

Goatman said:
We'll camp at base camp Sat and Sun nights, ... Saturday evening we'll serve dinner and have a raffle.

Where would the base camp/Saturday night dinner and raffle be located?

karstic said:
Where would the base camp/Saturday night dinner and raffle be located?

Near the Dinky Creek campground. It is off of McKinley Grove Rd in an undeveloped camping area. More info will be posted up after the 1st of the year.

Hope to see you there.

Bryan C. said:
Near the Dinky Creek campground. It is off of McKinley Grove Rd in an undeveloped camping area. More info will be posted up after the 1st of the year.

Hope to see you there.

This IS NOT the finalized details for base camp. We are looking at one other location for this trip. This will determined as soon as the snow melts and Goatman can come take a trip up here with me. We are considering a spot on the south side of Dinkey Creek Rd on Rock Creek Rd.

This spot IMO is more central and still relatively close to the showers at Dinkey. Also allowing RVs and motor homes easy access.

Should be around May this information will be released. Look for the official announcement for this event within the next week!

Matt

Scrappy said:
This IS NOT the finalized details for base camp. We are looking at one other location for this trip. This will determined as soon as the snow melts and Goatman can come take a trip up here with me. We are considering a spot on the south side of Dinkey Creek Rd on Rock Creek Rd.

This spot IMO is more central and still relatively close to the showers at Dinkey. Also allowing RVs and motor homes easy access.

Should be around May this information will be released. Look for the official announcement for this event within the next week!

Matt

Ah crap, I'm out of the loop...:gag:

:D

Full details will be provided in plenty of time for everyone to make plans. For now just get those vacation days reserved. :)

Im good for going to some easy/moderate runs but unless I win the lotto then I prob wouldn't be making the more extreme trails.. Once some dates get more firmed up then ill definatly be able to know one way or another..

Dates are firm, so reserve your vacation. Some specifics still need to be worked out and full details will be announced in due time.

Yeaup! These date WILL NOT be changing!!!! Mark your calander now and tell your boss that your gone that week!

87woodyXJ said:
Crap I cant make that.. I have school and cant take a whole week off..

bummer :bawl:

You can always show up for the last weekend, there will still be things to do in the area.

Jen and I should have our 92 ready (it is 100% stock for now) AND I have that week off work:cheers: imagine that, I saw this thread for the first time today and I put in for vacation 3 months ago:worship: .

This will be our first real off road trail ride:wow: :helpme:

Bryan C. said:
You can always show up for the last weekend, there will still be things to do in the area.

ya the weekend would be my only shot.. Im good for that so ill prob be catching up with yall for that weekend..

Rickady said:
Jen and I should have our 92 ready (it is 100% stock for now) AND I have that week off work:cheers: imagine that, I saw this thread for the first time today and I put in for vacation 3 months ago:worship: .

This will be our first real off road trail ride:wow: :helpme:

These are great trails to start out on..........you'll like it.

4xSanta said:
Sounds like a good time to spend a week in the mountains to me,will there be a safe place at base camp to leave my hauler and trailer while we are gone?

MOST DEFFINATLY!!!! Goatman and I have been hashing out GREAT camping locations for this run. We have a few great options, but need to see what kind of RSVP count we get before we "get er' done".

Dates are locked for 8/5 through 8/12?

Need to get a vacation request in. Thanks.
Tom

Back