• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I or should I not

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

This was my second D44. The first was comparable. Almost bought a third today attached to an entire rig for $400. They're out there.

I bought a spare set of shafts that seem to be a waste now. Had them over a year and change, but never needed them.

What a lot of people forget is traction has everything to do with axle wear. If you run crap-ass tires with no traction, you have nothing to worry about.

We can (and have) go round and round 'bout which is better. Bottom line I have thrashed on my rigs harder than most anybody here. Never have I broken my 44.

This was my second D44. The first was comparable. Almost bought a third today attached to an entire rig for $400. They're out there.

I bought a spare set of shafts that seem to be a waste now. Had them over a year and change, but never needed them.

What a lot of people forget is traction has everything to do with axle wear. If you run crap-ass tires with no traction, you have nothing to worry about.

We can (and have) go round and round 'bout which is better. Bottom line I have thrashed on my rigs harder than most anybody here. Never have I broken my 44.
and i dont know how many times i posted this, but there is NOTHING wrong with a Dana44. its a Great axle.
I also stated if i could find a Dana44 for what you've paid for that one, then why do the extra work for a 8.8? they're both beef.

The problem i have is, People know they are rare, so they seem to be snatched up from local Junkyards as soon as they're off the forklift, and posted up for upwards of $500..

Is it worth $500 for such an upgrade? Of course!
But the 8.8 has been proven to be even stronger then the Dana44, and can be had for a whole lot less!

I never once wanted to debate what axle is Better, But bang for the buck why not go 8.8?

Constructively, thats all my point has really been:wave:

Well you never break it so you want to sell that one no reason to just have it lieing around

I ran a Dana 35 on my last rig with 31's.. I beat the hell out of it.. and love to ride the skinny pedal..

I didn't have any issues, but it was always a concern.. especially the C-clip.. breaking an axle and having your tire walk off.. is not cool..

I have a 44 I am putting in my current rig.. in the next month or so.. Then I will have a 29 SP 8.25 available.

There are 44's available for 300~350 all the time. I figured it was worth it. Bolt in... I can add disk brakes..

Like Mudd says, if you look they are still around.

If you stay with the 35, no worries, just carry some spare axles and Diff fluid. just in case.

Like I said, with 31's and 4.5" I beat on mine.. hard.. I was open/open..

I ran a Dana 35 on my last rig with 31's.. I beat the hell out of it.. and love to ride the skinny pedal..

I didn't have any issues, but it was always a concern.. especially the C-clip.. breaking an axle and having your tire walk off.. is not cool..

I have a 44 I am putting in my current rig.. in the next month or so.. Then I will have a 29 SP 8.25 available.

There are 44's available for 300~350 all the time. I figured it was worth it. Bolt in... I can add disk brakes..

Like Mudd says, if you look they are still around.

If you stay with the 35, no worries, just carry some spare axles and Diff fluid. just in case.

Like I said, with 31's and 4.5" I beat on mine.. hard.. I was open/open..

I broke mine trying to be good

I broke a shaft hitting a pothole driving down a forest service road, on 235's, about 20 mph. Been beating on a 29 spl 8.25 for the last 3 years or so, no problems on 33's and skinny pedal when I needed it. When that breaks, ill just throw another shaft in it, or upgrade to my Super 88. :)

WOW you put the little d35 that far out lol must not care for it to much. Yeah from what I have read and leared so far I don't like it myself, that's why I need to get out of it soon.
The only use for a D35 is holding down jackstands, or making sure a boat doesn't float away.

The 8.25 is a great axle, either version. Run it on tires up to 33" with no worries, 35's with a little care.

The D44 is a fantastic axle, the 33 and 35 spline upgrades are a nifty option.

For me, the 8.8 is the best way to go; the disc brakes cannot by overestimated. I would never wheel without them again. With the way mine's built I am not worried about running 37" tires, however, it is certainly not "30% stronger" than a D44. That's as dumb as something Cappa would say.

To the OP: Whatever you decide, do it once. It costs the same (more or less) to regear and buy a locker and buy alloy shafts for a 35, 44, 8.25 or 8.8. Don't get in the position where you have to build two different axles to meet your eventual goals.

-----Matt-----

Matt you should build a 35 spline Hi9 for your 37s

Rockwells or unimog portals, don't mess with the civilian stuff :)
Rockwells are a bit heavy eh? i hear they have a habbit of breaking XJ frame bolts, especially with a 3" or more Body lift...

I also hear Rockwells are only 30% stronger then a F8.8?:chef:

I broke mine trying to be good

I broke a shaft hitting a pothole driving down a forest service road, on 235's, about 20 mph. Been beating on a 29 spl 8.25 for the last 3 years or so, no problems on 33's and skinny pedal when I needed it. When that breaks, ill just throw another shaft in it, or upgrade to my Super 88. :)

Ya, I guess you never know. You see all those "professional" mechanics on CL that have like 20" of lift and 37" tires on a D35..

Pull and Save has 13 Cherokees between 84'-89'. I will take a look. How much work do they take to remove? Broken Collar bone so someone will have to do it for me if I found one. I want to go 32-33" tires with a 4.5" lift and I'm afraid now with light to moderate wheeling I will break it.

Back