• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I or should I not

Where are you getting your perches and accessories from? The kit for everything from M.O.R.E. is $200 alone. Then to pay a shop to weld them will be more than $100. Then you still have the flange to buy. Then, if you want the e-brake to work add even more money.

You should do more homework before you give bad info.
and if you knew anything yourself, you would know not everything in life needs to come from a "Kit"

:rolleyes:

you can get perches for about $40 for the springs. and the shock brackets are about $40..

and you can make the E-brake work without any "purchases"

Spring perches $30
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com....html?osCsid=4500ba08f906e94323c12a103824c8e9

and hey look, i found a "Kit" that isnt $200
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/simple-spline-p-186.html

and to top it off, i dont know about your area, but i can have all that welded on for $60 at my 4wd shop..

Last edited:
It was an example, but thanks for the life lesson. My point is that doing the 8.8 swap has more costs than you were acknowledging in your earlier post.

It was an example, but thanks for the life lesson. My point is that doing the 8.8 swap has more costs than you were acknowledging in your earlier post.
and my point was your wrong!

XJ dana 44 will run you an average of $400

Pick up a 8.8 from your local scrap yard, for $100 +/-
have $200 worth of work done to it, and Voila!

I really am not trying to De-value a Dana 44, but it seems to be just a tad bit Overplayed. Its not the only End-all to Rear axles for the Moderate wheeler..

If you can find a Dana 44 for $150 at a scrap yard, then by all means, dont pass it up!!!!

But if your going to spend $400, look at your options!

Now I didn't expect my one little simple thought would get people gowing this much lol
So I decided I'm just going to go with the 8.25
1. It's easy to put in
2. It's a lot easier to find one.
3. Should be more then enough for me I'm only going to run 31" or 32"

The next thing I need to know is being I'm runing a stock rig with the d35 rear and d30 front so I'm geussing I'm going to need new front as well or will the 8.25 go with the d30?

Now I didn't expect my one little simple thought would get people gowing this much lol
So I decided I'm just going to go with the 8.25
1. It's easy to put in
2. It's a lot easier to find one.
3. Should be more then enough for me I'm only going to run 31" or 32"

The next thing I need to know is being I'm runing a stock rig with the d35 rear and d30 front so I'm geussing I'm going to need new front as well or will the 8.25 go with the d30?

every Cherokee came with a D30 front from the factory. As long as it has the same gear ratio as your current axles no other changes need to be made for the 8.25.

If we are just talking easy* swaps I ouldorder like this

1. 8.8 - 8.8" RG 31spline axles disc brakes stock * requires welding spring
perches and shock mounts
2. Dana 44 - 8.5" RG 30 spline axles drum brakes
3 8 1/4 - 8.25" RG 27 or 30 spline axles drum brakes

8.25 is only available in 27 and 29 spline from the factory. I'm sure you knew that already, just correcting for people that didn't.

8.25 is only available in 27 and 29 spline from the factory. I'm sure you knew that already, just correcting for people that didn't.

I meant to say 29 I was high off of pb blast and brake fluid when I posted than. Not to mention I had my 30 spline dana 44 shafts next to me.

This weeked at lkq self service (u-pull it) portland is half price thru monday I just got done pulling a dana 44 and a 30 front non disco out of a 87 with a tow package and payed 65.00 each. They are out there and if you find it on the right weekend you can score I think I need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Last edited:
This weeked at lkq self service (u-pull it) portland is half price thru monday I just got done pulling a dana 44 and a 30 front non disco out of a 87 with a tow package and payed 65.00 each. They are out there and if you find it on the right weekend you can score I think I need to go buy a lottery ticket.
Holly crap why couldn't that be next weekend?

well hey, im wrong.. but i read my Facts in this thread

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674123

witch had every possible link to back up my statements.

obviously as you can see. the link is a dead end now...

Im just going off what i have read, not "speculation" but proof from multiple companies that have tested them.

but hey, the link is dead, so im talking out my ass. the post was like 4 years old. it worked just fine last month..

To nw-xj-scat...you're off on a lot of your stats and figures.

-----Matt-----
If I'm wrong, then honestly i have no problem admitting it, but can you prove that any of my statements are off?

Like i said, i did my research, and I'm not done doing research as I'm still Running a Dana35. I'm open for Constructive criticism.

JU is for mall crawlers with bolt on bling.

JU is for mall crawlers with bolt on bling.

Well...he is running 31s with an open D35. Not to mention he needs Full Time 4WD for wet/dry pavement...those parking lots can get awfully challenging.

-Lyle

P.S. Go with the 29 spline 8.25 over the D35. Direct swap for a much stronger axle. Not much of a question if you ask me...

8.8>D44>29 spl 8.25> 27 spl 8.25>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>D35

Whatever you decide, you're going be way ahead of the game.

To nw-xj-scat...you're off on a lot of your stats and figures.

-----Matt-----
WOW you put the little d35 that far out lol must not care for it to much. Yeah from what I have read and leared so far I don't like it myself, that's why I need to get out of it soon.

WOW you put the little d35 that far out lol must not care for it to much. Yeah from what I have read and leared so far I don't like it myself, that's why I need to get out of it soon.

Its unfortunate that jeep made it the main rear axle for 10 years+ for all jeep models. xj/zj/yj/tj It's just not up to par for anything more then city driving.

Back