• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short list of IDFK isses with my 98 XJ

DigJeepsBrah

NAXJA Forum User
1.) Reverse lights only work sometimes, usually after applying the brakes once or twice while backing up they'll come on.

2.) I have a K&N cold air intake and 2.25" exhaust, free flow cat and a turbo muffler, fresh tune up, etc, etc. However. If I run the jeep. Park it for 10-30 minutes get back in it and go while it's still warm it will bog down for a second and not allow me to accelerate until I take my foot off the accelerator and give it a second. Then it never does it again. Very strange.

3.) Driver's window control works fine, however regardless of the windows being unlocked via the button on the drivers door it's 50/50 whether or not any of my passengers will actually be able to use their power windows. But I can always control them from the drivers door switches.

4.) Heater blows @ 4, and only 4. Nothing at 1, 2, or 3.

5.) if ball joints are bad or going bad, would they cause knocking in the front end? I replaced both my hubs recently and still notice some knocking in the front end, I'm not sure what to tackle next, shocks, tie rod ends, or ball joints?

6.) Other than dynamat for sound deadening material is there anything else on the market that's more economical that achieves the same effect? I'm not looking to increase the output of my bumpin subs.. I'm trying to quiet down my trail runs. There also seems to be a cricket(not literally) in my dash somewhere on trails. I don't know where it lives, but I want it dead. Any one else fixing random noises in their cabs?

Thanks in advance. Let your wealth of knowledge wash over me.

2.) I have a K&N cold air intake and 2.25" exhaust, free flow cat and a turbo muffler, fresh tune up, etc, etc. However. If I run the jeep. Park it for 10-30 minutes get back in it and go while it's still warm it will bog down for a second and not allow me to accelerate until I take my foot off the accelerator and give it a second. Then it never does it again. Very strange.

Very common issue on the later models. Has do to with heat soak in the intake affecting the fuel rail and injectors. Best solution is either to put in hood vents to release the heat or to install a shutdown timer that will run the fan for 5 minutes after you turn off the engine.

3.) Driver's window control works fine, however regardless of the windows being unlocked via the button on the drivers door it's 50/50 whether or not any of my passengers will actually be able to use their power windows. But I can always control them from the drivers door switches.

Yep, mine too. It's an issue with the lockout button on the driver's door controls. You can either bridge out the button with a bit of soldering or replace the control module.

Go here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080666&highlight=window+switch

4.) Heater blows @ 4, and only 4. Nothing at 1, 2, or 3.

Go here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008076&highlight=heater+fan+speed

5.) if ball joints are bad or going bad, would they cause knocking in the front end? I replaced both my hubs recently and still notice some knocking in the front end, I'm not sure what to tackle next, shocks, tie rod ends, or ball joints?

Knocking isn't generally a ball joint symptom unless they're REALLY bad. I'd look at the shock mounting bolts on the axle and at the top. If you have a lifted XJ with aftermarket control arms, worn bushings/flex joints will cause a knocking that you can usually feel in the driver and passenger floor board.

Thanks in advance. Let your wealth of knowledge wash over me.

Check all the bolts in the front end and tighten everything, especially the track bar...he-man those as tight as you can. Loose track bar brackets creek and pop like crazy, even if the bolts are just the slightest bit loose.

Check all the bolts in the front end and tighten everything, especially the track bar...he-man those as tight as you can. Loose track bar brackets creek and pop like crazy, even if the bolts are just the slightest bit loose.

x10.

You will never get rid of all the strange noises that only happen while 4 wheeling. Best thing to do is to just 4 wheel enough that you don't notice them anymore. Take it from an obsessive worrier. :)

x10.

You will never get rid of all the strange noises that only happen while 4 wheeling. Best thing to do is to just 4 wheel enough that you don't notice them anymore. Take it from an obsessive worrier. :)

Locktite and a couple spot welds cures that right up.

Got tired of having to tighten mine every couple weeks, so I busted out the welder and never had issues again.

front end noise I think I located.. The sway bar link mount from the axle, the little stud piece that actually holds the link to the bracket off the axle wasn't mounted up tight enough leaving about 3/32nds of play. I'm attempting everything to get the SOB off but no luck yet, got a buddy bringing me a set of vise grips cause I can't find mine. May need some washers to get it snug.

Tightened everything else up front cause my buddy and I are headed to Slaughterhouse to camp this weekend.

So we'll see.

Back