• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

searched...specific smog/stroker question

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
I forgot who put this link up, I think it was Dr. Dyno.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

But I am shopping for parts for a stroker right now. I HAVE to passs smog. I would liket use one of these combinations for my 88. Does anyone know if one of these specific combos will pass CA smog. even if it is the low budget low horse end, I am fine with that....

Also, do I have to have an HO head? I only ask because I have a non HO laying around already

I've got a 4.6 Liter Golen longblock in '90 Comanche (non HO) in MA and passed emissions here with flying colors. I replaced the cat at the same time as the stroker went in. These were my #'s

HC 00.26
CO 2.06
NOx 00.30

Limits are 3.20, 80.00, and 3.50 respectively...

That's with a 9.2 compression ratio and a fairly aggressive cam.

In MA they don't do a visual inspection however. Things like cold air intakes and stuff aren't even looked at. All of my emissions stuff is hooked up and working.

There should be a sticky at the top of this forum where folks who have built strokers could post their engine specs/emissions info/state (from locations which do testing). It would have been invaluable to me when I started this project as I had no firm guarantee that I would pass in MA!

Matthew

jephs422 said:
I forgot who put this link up, I think it was Dr. Dyno.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

But I am shopping for parts for a stroker right now. I HAVE to passs smog. I would liket use one of these combinations for my 88. Does anyone know if one of these specific combos will pass CA smog. even if it is the low budget low horse end, I am fine with that....

Also, do I have to have an HO head? I only ask because I have a non HO laying around already

Yeah that's my link. I built my own stroker based on the 4.6L low buck option 1 recipe with two small changes (Crane 753905 cam, 677P +0.020" pistons), therefore displacement came to 4563cc and the CR is 9.25:1 so I can run it on cheap regular gas. Here's my write-up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

My emissions results from last month were CO 0.16% and HC 36ppm at idle so it also passed with flying colors. Built right, a stroker should be even cleaner than a 4.0.

Nice write up Dr. Dyno. I think I'll opt to go ahead and get an HO head. Is there anything that will not work or that I will have to change to make it work with my stock configuration. e.g., injectors, exhaust manifold, etc..

You'll need Ford 24lb injectors. A header, HO intake manifold, and bored HO TB would also be nice but are not mandatory on a Renix based stroker.

Power steering pump bracket also needs to change. HO is 91 and newer blocks. HO intakes do not have EGR valve like Renix. This could affect your emissions.

There are tons of writeups about making the switch to HO head/intake on renix vehicles. After searching and reading them for myself, and not finding any conclusive info about emissions testing, I elected to keep the renix head.

hth.

Matthew

tetsulo said:
Power steering pump bracket also needs to change. HO is 91 and newer blocks. HO intakes do not have EGR valve like Renix. This could affect your emissions.
Matthew

So....should I switch to the HO head? Now I'm thoroughly confused.

jephs422 said:
So....should I switch to the HO head? Now I'm thoroughly confused.

I was confused too -- ultimately I decided to stick with the stock head and intake -- it's well suited for low to mid RPM torque anyways. Another consideration that was high on my list was compatible external parts. If something external broke I could walk into a Napa or Autozone anywhere and order a part by saying '90 comanche'.

Matthew

well That's good news actually. Although I am looking for obvious horsepower gain, I am more concerned with keeping it simple and not worrying about having oddball parts on my truck. So basically, I can use one of the budget stroker recipes on the link above, and use a standard head, intake, etc, instead of using the HO stuff. Man, that makes things much easier. I didn't wanna worry about brackets and crap

Back