• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker build

So, you said "4.0 rods" and "KB pistons".
The two don't mix - you need to go with the "4.2" rods or pistons with a custom wrist height - not off the shelf KBs. Mis-type?

4.0L rods are what you use for the kb944's they won't take the 4.2L rods. At least that's what KB told me when I built mine. And unless my machinist is lying to me that's what it is built with.

To the OP look at Lunati's Voodoo line. Get thier cam and lifter package. Cheaper than Comp and I feel just as good of quality. A gmeter style dyno said 200HP at the rear wheels and I would agree with that.

Most of all have fun with it. The Stroker is the best money I've ever spent on my XJ.

Parakeet

I'm going with the crane 231 cam and the crower camssaver lifters. I have no experience with Lunati, it's not about that though. Most of the builds for my type of goal use the crane 231 and I see no problem with it. That and all those damn camaro people running Lunatis when I had a mustang got me a bad taste for them!

Hey Guys,
New to the site, this is my first post actually. I'm looking into doing a low buck stroker motor. I'll hopefully be picking up a donor 258 tonight. Assuming my 4.0 looks good on the inside, I was hoping not to bore things out. I was thinking I could get by with just a hone and re-ring setup. I contacted RPM Machine about a re-ring kit and mentioned the potential stroker setup. They said that I would want to buy new pistons, as the pistons need to be pressed onto the 258 rods. Is this true, or can my current pistons be pressed onto the 258 rods? Thanks,
-Reed

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015987&highlight=stroker+build
Latest build issue

And XJcubed
I think that a stroker built with the 258 rods would be a 'long rod' stroker if I'm recalling correctly.
I'm building a short rod motor, with the stock 4.0 rods and aftermarket pistons. If you're having a machine shop hone your block and other prep items...why not have them bore it out a little and get some new pistons? I think that it's possible to run .030 over with all other stock parts (depending on year and accessories) and you'd have a nice peppy 4.6L motor?

I'm going with the crane 231 cam
You mean the Comp Cams 231?

I think that a stroker built with the 258 rods would be a 'long rod' stroker if I'm recalling correctly.
Using a 4.2L rod = short rod stroker
Using a 4.0L (or longer) rod = long rod stroker

Small update.
Acquired a '94 head from a u-pull it. Going to the machine shop Monday. I'm pretty sure Tyler is getting a set of 24# fms injectors off ebay shortly. Pistons are currently on backorder, hopefully get that fixed so the jeep is running the second week of December.
It'd be nice to have patience and time for this but that's not the case. Oh well. Next time!

Currently researching wideband o2 information for an 'as needed' tuning basis.

New update.
All the parts are currently in the machine shop and will be finished Tuesday. Tyler will build the motor and put it in shortly after. Should have it running next weekend.

I got a sweet deal I couldn't pass up on a HP D30 with an Aussie and an 8.8 with the LSD and discs. 4.10 gears. Be putting these in shortly after the new year.

It's a 62mm TB I think. I have to check. and I think that's the cam I'm running.
The head was ported by a machine shop that builds dirt track engines and it's a 7120.

It's a 62mm TB I think. I have to check. and I think that's the cam I'm running.
The head was ported by a machine shop that builds dirt track engines and it's a 7120.

Good stuff man. How much did the porting cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Block machining costs?

Last edited:
I'd have to check the build costs from the builder.

It's a great cam, though it has a noticable loss of power north of 4500 to redline
Just not made for that powerband. Off idle is nice and strong

Back