• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mini-stroker torque converter issue (232 crank)

I do remember that a TC moves about 1/2" in travel.
That’s my understanding as well… but for some reason, there’s a gap between the pads and the flex plate. The snout has to be the point of contact.

I picked up a transmission jack earlier so I’ll be able to take a closer look… honestly, I can’t think of another explanation.

Did you leave out the shim plate from between the block and bell housing?
Nope. It’s installed.

Picked up a transmission jack yesterday, so I’ll be dropping it tomorrow and taking some measurements. I’m 99.99999% sure I got the TC fully seated in the transmission, and fear the snout is indeed the issue… I’ll check it and the crank counterbore and report my findings.

Suspicions confirmed:

https://imgur.com/a/DtveaHV

Definite scarring on the snout… called O’Reilly and had them pull the 2 TC’s they had in their local warehouse, and I’m glad I did. One was scarred and painted like this one, and the other had a nicely-machined clean snout measuring exactly 46mm. Fingers crossed.

And to elaborate more… the 232 crank (72+ with the “C-ring”, almost assuredly the flex plate/flywheel centering ring as suggested by 75SV1) was just fine. It was just that POS remanufactured torque converter that was the problem. Unfortunately I bought it 3+ years ago and can’t figure out who I bought it from, so it turned into a core.

If you have to buy a new torque converter (I only did because mine had 240k+ on it, so why not)… don’t buy one with any scarring or paint on the snout. It’ll ruin your damn day, or week, or month. Damn glad I had them pull multiple units from the warehouse, as I’d likely be screwed again if I hadn’t.

Back