• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Significant power upgrades: CA Edition

cheapcherokee93

<----boat-manche
As some of you saw in the Mod Tech section, i've been recently displeased with the power output of my mostly stock 4.0. thread can be seen here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1110999

Lately i've been exploring options for gaining a significant amount of power out of my jeep, whether that includes a stroker, forced induction, or a drivetrain swap. To make this even more difficult, I live in beautiful Southern California which means our glorious SMOG rules come in to play. Awesome right?

So i'm making this thread in order to go over all performance options in relation to CA (and maybe other states) smog rules. For me, this is not limited to having a system that can be removed once every 2 years to have the smog check done, because thats something i'm willing to do (within reason). Money also plays a factor here, ultimately i would like to find a balance between dollars spent, horsepower gained, time spent, and reliability in the long run.

I also think this thread doesnt have to only be about my set up, but any one else looking for some major HP while still complying with their states emissions rules. Its too bad not everyone can live in a state where you can bolt on a supercharger and not have to worry about passing a smog check. some of us can only dream :cry:

With that said, here is the set up I am dealing with and my thoughts and questions on all the different options out there. Feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.

1988 Jeep Comanche
Renix 4.slow
AW4
33s
4.10s (4.56 or 4.88 is on the list)
lots 'o weight
no A/C

Option #1: Forced Indution

Superchargers:

My thoughts here are making an "easily" removable supercharger set up that can be swapped out every 2 years for smog checks. I have no AC, so ideally the pump location would be used for the supercharger. The main benefit i see to a supercharger is the engine does not have to be removed to receive the power increase, which means less work (maybe).

Since the Renix system has no check engine light and no way to communicate with the ECU, CA smog checks dont include scanning the computer for renix jeeps. Theoretically I want to run MegaSquirt (somewhat hidden in the stock harness) for tuning both the N/A and supercharged set ups. Bolt on supercharger- upload boosted tune, take off supercharger- upload smog tune. MegaSquirt is reasonably priced and works well, and since the renix system has no CEL i should be able to get away with running it. The exact model i'm looking at is actually the MicroSquirt setup, since its super small, already assembled, has spark control capabilities and uses an external MAP sensor. Obviously this also requires the use of a wideband O2 sensor. Here are my perceived Pros and Cons of the different types of superchargers:

1-Centrifugal

Pros: Easier Packaging and tuning (swap out compressor wheels). Somewhat easy to find (there are a good amount of vortechs on craigslist)

Cons: custom mounting (but this is true of almost all superchargers for the XJ), not as much boost at low RPMs

2- Roots

Pros: Higher boost at low RPM, easy to find (M90, M62), NAXJA has experience with them

Cons: custom mounting, packaging issues

3- Screw

Pros: Excellent boost

Cons: Packaging, Availability, Cost

Turbos:

I won't get much into turbos because of their obvious problems with needing to remove it for smog.

Pros: highly adjustable through different turbo sizes and adjustable wastegate, simple, easily available, potentially inexpensive (say you could re-use a factory turbo from an older vehicle that came with one stock)

Cons: packaging packaging packaging, especially with the exhaust! i think it would be extremely difficult to have a turbo set up that could be removed with reasonable effort.

Option #2: Stroker

The stroker is probably the easiest set up as far as long term goes. Why? lets see, the engine bolts right in, re uses all the factory sensors and can pass CA smog so long as the factory air box is used and it passes the sniffer. There is no way for the smog tech to know its stroked out which makes this a very appealing option. There are some downfalls that i have noticed though.

These are things that i have witnessed based on either forum posts or through a close friend of mine who purchased a 4.6 stroker through a very reputable company and his experiences:

-more prone to over heating
-decreased reliability
-cost $$$$$$
-other random issues

I have not been very impressed with strokers, based on what I have read online and through personal experience with my friends jeep. However I have seen a few very reliable stroker set ups on here. What i really want to know is, what makes one stroker more reliable than another? Quality of parts used? Quality of machine work used? Both? Some magic combination of parts + prayer?

This statement from Cal is what has me curious:

A stroker is as reliable as you build it. Buy a budget stroker, get budget reliability.

Some builders give you more bang for the buck than others.

Even if I knew the recipe for a reliable stroker, its probably out of my price range. There are also the extra parts needed to tune the stroker correctly, whether that be running the renix ECU with bigger injectors and an adjustable FPR, or running a stand alone like MegaSquirt. IMO cost adds up real quick here, by the time you build the stroker and buy all the accommodating parts to make it run correctly. I'm not saying getting a significant power upgrade should be cheap, but that this could be the most expensive option depending on how you build it. Obviously the main benefit of this route is the fact that its the easiest for smog checks.

Option #3: Engine Swap

I must say this option is probably EASILY the one that requires the most time to perform. To legally get an engine swap to pass CA emissions you must go through a smog referee and get it approved. The full requirements can be seen here: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

Basically all original smog equipment from the donor engine must be re used, and a functioning OBD port and Check Engine Light must be used. The engine must be functioning as if it were in the original vehicle, which means if it came with EGR, the EGR must be reused in the jeep, and so on.

The general benefits i've seen with engine swaps are:
-increased reliability
-more power (obviously!)
-more readily available performance parts (depending on engine choice obviously)

and the major downfalls that i have found are:
-harder to keep cool = fitting a bigger radiator or purchasing super expensive big money huge aluminum radiator.
-packing, everything has to be custom from motor mounts to exhaust
-a different engine also means a different transmission and t-case in most cases = even more time + money
-retrofitting newer/different engine electronics onto jeep body
-pleasing the smog referee

With that said, these are the engines i've considered:

Small Block Ford 5.0

these are cheap, simple, very reliable and stupid easy to get the fuel injection running in any vehicle. performance parts are cheap and everywhere, however factory power ratings are not very spectacular for a v8. The engine is also very compact which makes fitting in a jeep simple. Unfortunately this limits you to only Ford automatic transmissions and transfer cases, something i'm not too fond of. There are no aftermarket mounting solutions for this engine in the MJ, so everything must be fabricated. Cooling might not be so bad with the Jeep's radiator as this is a smaller V8.

Small Block Chrysler

I'm talking the "newer" 5.2 and 5.9 found in ZJs, Dakotas, Durangos, and Rams. Overall impressions are its a harder engine to come across, however donor vehicles are cheap where you could have an entire drivetrain to swap in. Sadly this engine does not have cheap aftermarket support or performance parts on craigslist everywhere. Factory power ratings are decent, but behind these engines are the generally unreliable 44 and 46RE transmissions. the later model engines dont have EGR, which makes fitting it easier. These engines are also not considered as reliable as the small block ford or LSx engines.

so potentially this could be a cheap engine swap using a cheap donor vehicle and using its whole drivetrain.

LSx

By far the most popular option today. The LSx series engines are readily available, can be upgraded with ease, and are somewhat cheap in CA though not as cheap as in the east coast it seems. Maybe i just dont know where to find the cheap stuff. These engines accept power upgrades very well and have a plethora of aftermarket and info. There are conversion motor mounts available which means less fab work. There is more info on this engine swap into a jeep than any other V8. The issues i see are packaging, mainly with the intake and pulleys clearing the hood. getting the factory EGR manifolds to clear the MJ unibody looks like a challenge, although what do i know. Getting factory gauges to work can also be trouble, but nothing aftermarket gauges cant fix. There have been some smog legal swaps in CA, so i know it can be done. Cooling also seems to be an issue once again, so a bigger radiator needs to be shoehorned in. This engine also requires the use of a GM automatic transmission, something else to be aware of.

I see it like this swap provides affordable, reliable power with lots of room to upgrade in the future. i'm also under the impression the automatics used behind the LSx (4L60?) are reliable and upgradeable, so thats good. Aftermarket motor mounts are a huge plus. Wiring looks like a huge chore. Lots and Lots of work to get this thing CA smog approved, but is it worth it?

Many many options here, lots to think about. I would love to hear input on any of the options, why one would be better than the other, why one sucks, why im crazy for trying to do this amidst CA smog nazis, or maybe something i havent thought of yet? Hopefully this thread can be a tool for others as well.

thanks,

Matt

Option #1 you can take right off the list in California. As far as I know there is not one single BAR-approved forced induction setup for the Jeep 4.0. Isn't even much on the market - period.

Option #2... I'm in the same boat. I think the best bang for the buck is going to be buying a usable JY motor, tear it all down yourself, have the short block built, then reassemble the easy stuff.

Option #3 can be done in CA but your referee has an enormous amount of power over how the swap is going to go. By the letter of the law, they can require you to change your gas tank & canister along with all the rest. You'll also need to run two cats & 4 o2 sensors. I think the potential is there to get it done & enjoy LS power in a Jeep - or to do a lot, A LOT, of work and then have a major PITA getting it past the smog guys on top of it.

Much as I want to put a 5.3 in my rig, I think the stroker is the only way to go in CA. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I’m not familiar with the CA smog rules but could you keep the turbo installed and just wire the wastegate open when it comes time to having it tested? Might be enough to pass a sniff test without fully unbolting everything.

I’m not familiar with the CA smog rules but could you keep the turbo installed and just wire the wastegate open when it comes time to having it tested? Might be enough to pass a sniff test without fully unbolting everything.

Nope - you need a California Air Resources Board certificate number either cast or stickered onto each and every POS you bolt to the motor.

The thing with a stroker is you either need to pay good money to get a good one or you need to research the hell out of it and make sure you do the assembly correctly.

The former costs money, the latter can be done relatively cheaply if you have a technical mind and are up to the challenge.

For a swap, as much as I like the Ford 5.0 I think I would lean towards the LS just because of the commonality of the swap and the fact that it is more modern. Not a fan of Chrysler so I'll just leave my opinion on that out of it. I wouldn't bother with any Chevy engine beside the Gen III or newer.

User "FringeXVO" (IIRC) installed a turbo Toyota straight six into an XJ and it was reportedly well done. The engine was available with the Toyota version of the AW4 so it makes it a bit of a no brainer if you want to go that direction. IIRC the Toyota 1UZ and 2UZ V8 engines can be adapted as well. They are SOHC so I don't know if they would be too wide. I know somene here started the 1UZ swap and then disappeared... Don't recall if they got around to mounting the engine in the bay.

Another guy adapted the Isuzu V6 (IIRC) to a AW4 for his Isuzu truck also.

To be worth bothering with it needs to be a turbo engine or a V8 IMO. From my experience a naturally aspirated V8 is a lot less likely to heat soak than a turbo anything.

Another guy did a AMC 360/401 V8 swap. I like this swap but it's more a novelty than something I'd want to daily drive or use as a work horse. That's not to say it couldn't be used that way, just better choices imo.

Consider diesel? Kits exist and the Mercedes 5 cylinder looks like it could be a good fit. Adapters to GM transmissions exist. Go to the 4btswaps web page. They have sections on the Mercedes and the Isuzu diesel (4bd?) that is the right size as well. Isuzu diesel -> GM transmissions exist also.

From what I remember, in Cali if you do a swap of an engine that is newer than your truck and you take it to be refereed then it is possible?

Last edited:
Just another point... maybe I'm getting old and lazy but I really like the idea of something as close to stock as possible.

No custom parts to remember about and/or fab when you break something, easy to get parts no matter where you are broken down, simple...

Stroker is obvious in this case, everything external to the engine is the same as stock for all intents and purposes. The Chevy V8 swap is a close second in that they are everywhere also - as long as you remember what is what and things like engine mounts are easy to change out if you break one.

What year is your rig? The Banks turbo kit is legal on 99+ XJ's.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-97.pdf

You'd have to cut holes in your hood to make it fit, but it would be smog legal.

Is there a different kit for the XJ or is the order meant for hacking the TJ kit into the XJ?

I didn't find a different kit on their web site.

The turbo kit has a certain amount of appeal... I promised myself that all my auto projects going forward would only be weekend scale things... this is weekend scale...

Last edited:
Cal, his OP says 1988 Renix.

What year is your rig? The Banks turbo kit is legal on 99+ XJ's.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-97.pdf

You'd have to cut holes in your hood to make it fit, but it would be smog legal.

To go with this, you could get a donor 99 engine, the turbo kit and have the ref cert it as a "99" OBD vehicle.
Sean aka Souske, did a powertrain swap (minus forced induction) into his heep. So, you could message him with some questions you have about it.

If you really are considering an LSx, swap. I am sure you could find a complete (wrecked, rear-ended, etc) donor vehicle for a few grand or less.
The obvious, the cheaper you get the donor the more you have to spend to buy more parts for the swap. Haha.

For this swap, IMO, the minimum added purchases are:
Novak Conversions:
Rad, engine mount kit, and headers.
Other:
Modified harness/PCM, either purchased or have donor harness/PCM modified. I believe there is a vendor (or member) on pirate that does this. The main thing is
getting rid of VATS.

Last edited:
double post.

Last edited:
Things have really change since I last lived in California. Back then you had to use an engine that was the same year or newer than the host vehicle and, if the engine was newer then the vehicle had to comply with the donor year emissions requirements.

Did I read this right? If you swap it today the vehicle must meet the standards of today?

Even for California this is nuts...

As much as I like forced induction, you folk in Cali are behind the eight ball as it would never pass the visual potion of the inspection. This is where a stroker is the better solution. Nothing external to give it away. An engine that is built from quality components and is assembled by a competent person will run just as long as an otherwise stock engine will. Usually though either the PCM has to be reprogrammed or a F/IC of sorts has to be installed to deal with the larger injectors while the engine is in open loop operation. Fortunately, the device can be buried, out of sight, under the dash and the wiring modification can be hidden as well. This satisfies the visual inspection. If they can not find it...

The kicker here is the word quality. Quality is not cheap. You get what you pay for and I would agree with the cheap stroker, lousy life expectancy statement.

As far as cooling goes, yes a stroker will make more demands on the system. It has to being larger than stock... And yes, once again a quality radiator comes to the rescue along with it's attendant price tag.

There is the old statement...

No Replacement for Displacement. And forced induction creates a "variable displacement" engine. My expression for what really happens. The turbo/super charger forces more air into the smaller space simulating a larger displacement engine. Hence "variable displacement" as the boost level climbs.

If you do go with a removable supercharger, then the F/IC you install will need to have two maps in it, one for boosted operation and one for normally aspirated operation. Either that or reprogram it when the compressor is removed. The normally aspirated maps could just throttle the larger injectors back to stock, and set the timing corrections to zero. An easy program to make for sure.

All this being said, my partner and I are about to supercharge a stroked engine with an M90 compressor sitting in place of the A/C compressor which has been removed on this mostly trail rig. Once it is in, the project will be posted here.

Should make for some interesting power production...

Things have really change since I last lived in California. Back then you had to use an engine that was the same year or newer than the host vehicle and, if the engine was newer then the vehicle had to comply with the donor year emissions requirements.

Thats still the case.

Moving along, then,
Who builds and ships a quality stroker?
Bishop, I've heard of. Convenient enough for So-Cal but a bit of a drive for most of us.
Cleg any good?
Titan I know to avoid like plague..

Back in '01, I installed a Golen Stroker into the '97 I had. Worked fine, not cheap. I had fitted it with the aluminium head with the large valves to help it breathe.

Bishop-Buehl will ship. Not their usual thing, but if you ask nicely ;)

Hesco seems to build a good product, but they are proud of it.

I wouldn't touch a Titan or 505 motor.

No experience with Golan or ATK.

From what I've read here and there Golan seems to be the solid, bread and butter company of remans, strokers, etc.

Put a 1.9 VW TDI in it. lose weight, world-wide parts availability, Bump it up to 160HP and 265ft-lbs, bypass smog altogether, and close to, if not more than twice the MPG you get now.

These guys sell kits if you have $$$: http://www.cotybuilt.com/#

Or, start a build thread here, get some fabrication help, and figure out how to do it on the cheap. Please document it well, as I'm sure sure if it's do-able, many will follow. (I know I would).

Cheers,
Mike

Back