• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saddle Up - Input and Design Thread

Re: Saddle Up - Finalizing Centerline W/ ODF

So I wonder if this recent activity on the old trail means Jahmaal is planning on doing something to our new trail here soon. It would be cool if Icemans deal came through and ODF had the mini up there at the same time.... TWO Excavators working on Saddle Up at the same time?!?!?! That would be so cool!

So I wonder if this recent activity on the old trail means Jahmaal is planning on doing something to our new trail here soon. It would be cool if Icemans deal came through and ODF had the mini up there at the same time.... TWO Excavators working on Saddle Up at the same time?!?!?! That would be so cool!

X2

sort of off topic, BUT heres ideas/questions:

I realize the following- A) Not every trail is intended to be difficult and cater to the more dedicated wheelers such as blacks/double black rated trails

B) diverse trail network is ideal, and in the process of creation.

C) sustainability is important

That being said I have talked to a bunch of my friends i wheel with (mostly dedicated rigs runnin 37's or larger that like the technical stuff) and we all pretty much came to the conclusion that TSF is nothing but hill climbs and always has issues with sustainability.

Obvious problems arise with hill climbs and high traffic, so why not build more trails that mirror crushers??

Questions- a) who owns the land above and around crushers? Im asking because ive hiked that area and found a ton of random natural rocks, stumps, holes, and berms etc.
b) what constitutes a trail being black diamond?

c) is funding the main hold up to building more new trails at TSF or are we limited to a certain amount? Theres a lot of land up there, more trails means less traffic on the main ones.

D) is Jahmaal the guy to present these questions to?

E) whens the next Saddle up Work party? id like to come out and help/meet you guys if my schedule allows

I think a lot of people would love more than anything to wheel trails that mirror the entrance to lower crushers. Its virgin dirt with natural obstacles weaving through the trees, and its sustainable because of the rock content and Flatter land. Sort of like Quack Attack at Hoodoo, that trail is awesome because its diverse in elevation and isnt a gravel road wherever there isnt a hard hillclimb -like much of TSF is.
Ive heard Airplane hill is going under the knife soon to repair the main hill climb, when the trail probably wouldnt have been torn up so badly if the gate would have been closed during times of heavy rain after dry spells (we had no rain for a long time and then it dumped creating a lot of gooey mud and erosion.) brain storming.. Great news on the new Saddle Up trail though! The old one was a little.. boring. ill stop here for now haha

PS where did your post go with the video of you walking the centerline??

Last edited:

sort of off topic, BUT heres ideas/questions:

I realize the following- A) Not every trail is intended to be difficult and cater to the more dedicated wheelers such as blacks/double black rated trails

B) diverse trail network is ideal, and in the process of creation.

C) sustainability is important

You're correct on all counts. The TSF trail system is one of the most expansive and diverse in the region, with that comes ALL kinds of terrain, that vary not only in difficulty, but also terrain type. We are limited to what is available in the area... this is why you wont see sand dunes in the TSF... lol,
Sustainability is another topic altogether. Each trail has its own level of sustainability, and weather and terrain plays a big part of how this is done, and of course how the trail "evolves" over the years thru use and seasonal wear.

That being said I have talked to a bunch of my friends i wheel with (mostly dedicated rigs runnin 37's or larger that like the technical stuff) and we all pretty much came to the conclusion that TSF is nothing but hill climbs and always has issues with sustainability.

Obvious problems arise with hill climbs and high traffic, so why not build more trails that mirror crushers??
Crushers is a very unique area to the TSF, granted the mountain is just that... a mountain, so it has a lot of rock of varying type. Crushers is of course man made (from what I've been told - i could be misinformed) ...as you can imagine, a lot of work would go into the building of such a rock field... if a second one were to be made. It's not for everyone, and crushers is big enough that you can play all over that area and expect to have varying degree of technicality on an extreme level. The Rock Garden, and that area off of Fire Break 5 are also similar, so the demand for a second crusher's is minimal (not to discount you & your friends.)

Questions- a) who owns the land above and around crushers? Im asking because ive hiked that area and found a ton of random natural rocks, stumps, holes, and berms etc.
Don't quote me on this, but we had a conversation with Jahmaal about this, and I cant remember if he said it was BLM or it may be a private owner, honestly I cant remember. But we did talk about the possibility of a land trade deal, where the TSF would acquire some of that area in trade for an equal size/value of land from the TSF.... this would of course have to coincide with a rock harvest or tree farming operation in order for it to even be considered, and would take a long time to iron out all the legalities of such a transaction...

b) what constitutes a trail being black diamond?
Several factors... including but not limited to slope, camber, width, and terrain, basically the obvious stuff. More technical factors include what tire size, amount of armor, and whether or not traction devices such as one or two lockers are required to SAFELY navigate the trail.

c) is funding the main hold up to building more new trails at TSF or are we limited to a certain amount? Theres a lot of land up there, more trails means less traffic on the main ones.
Pretty much all the trails up there are made from either dead/no longer used/dead spur roads, or are incorporated into ongoing timber sales, or rock harvesting projects. When a lumber company comes in and clear cuts an area, they are usually required to replant said area within a certain period of time, at which point the public (us) a.k.a. offroad enthusiasts thru a stewardship/partnership with the ODF then plan, route and build a trail in cooperation with a reforestation project. The trail is routed, and the replanting of trees happens in that area with the exception of the where the trail is routed. Money isn't the only factor. Granted the ODF doesn't have deep pockets.... especially for us. But what we/they do have is a guy like Jahmaal Rebb who understands the plight of the lowly wheeler, and has the means to present and push thru projects like the Saddle Up trail rebuild project. Granted there were circumstances which really helped move this forward thru all the necessary channels, like the fracture in the hillside, and the fill in of the old trail.

D) is Jahmaal the guy to present these questions to?
In short... yes.

E) whens the next Saddle up Work party? id like to come out and help/meet you guys if my schedule allows
We're waiting on equipment at this point. We have two available (hopefully) ....one that belongs to the ODF, who when time and means permit, will be operated by Jahmaal, and the other is thru a private donation/volunteer. (icemans) Once we get the green light on either or both of them then we can schedule a work party. Honestly the big work party will be next spring, as once the initial cut in is done, the trail will most likely be closed for the inter to allow for erosion observation and natural compaction. Thanks for your willingness to help, I think thats awesome, and will be much appreciated when the time comes. There may be a meet-n-greet planned soon, so if there's no work party going on we'd love to get together and put a face to a name!

I think a lot of people would love more than anything to wheel trails that mirror the entrance to lower crushers. Its virgin dirt with natural obstacles weaving through the trees, and its sustainable because of the rock content and Flatter land. Sort of like Quack Attack at Hoodoo, that trail is awesome because its diverse in elevation and isnt a gravel road wherever there isnt a hard hillclimb -like much of TSF is.
Ive heard Airplane hill is going under the knife soon to repair the main hill climb, when the trail probably wouldnt have been torn up so badly if the gate would have been closed during times of heavy rain after dry spells (we had no rain for a long time and then it dumped creating a lot of gooey mud and erosion.) brain storming.. Great news on the new Saddle Up trail though! The old one was a little.. boring. ill stop here for now haha
Yea there is some awesome terrain up there, and personally I love wheeling on that kind of stuff too.
.....Airplane is a whole nother discussion. :)

PS where did your post go with the video of you walking the center line??

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089467

Thanks for all the info man, appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my babble haha.

The entire Crushers area is definitely a natural area, couple guys stumbled across it riding dirtbikes a long time ago, if you walk around the area its all naturally laden with rocks and boulders. Apparently Leonard of Leonards Offroad had a big part in a lot of the trails discovery and opening back in the day as well.

As far as I have personally seen over the years many of the trails ranging from Jordan Creek to Browns Camp started out as unsplit virgin trails meandering through the woods and over time there have been numerous logging operations that have sliced and diced the trails up adding more gravel rds in between them and turning the trails into sections of short trail instead of 1 long trail. The amount of traffic in the TSF increased dramatically somewhere around 2004/5 and ever since the trails for all users have seen less actual dirt and more gravel to prevent erosion, us trail riders have our own opinions on this.

If you look at a map from the 90s and early 200-2004 the trails are incredibly different. I guess the past is the past though and likely it will never be that good again, but hopefully we can all work together to make the future trails unique and enjoyable.
I see now more of the struggle to build trails, TSF is a hotspot for timber sales it seems and having to work out the kinks with them and the ODF im sure just adds a big curve ball.

A) Not every trail is intended to be difficult and cater to the more dedicated wheelers such as blacks/double black rated trails

The new saddle up IS intended to be entirely single and double black diamond.

who owns the land above and around crushers?

That land is privately owned by stenison who also owns most all of the land directly south of saddle up. This along with NW99xj's response on concerning the land trade is correct

Okay guys so I got the okay to use the equipment. I just need to know a time and date of when we want to do this. I will need more than a week notice so they don't plan anything for it that weekend. I also will need to fill the track hoe up with diesel before i take it back. Is there money in Naxja that we can use? Or do we need to find a donation. I will take care of the equipment and transportation to and from TSF for the equipment. I am free during the week and weekends except a couple days. I would like to get this done before they get to much snow as i wont be able to get the machine up there in the snow. Let me know what works for everyone.

Okay guys so I got the okay to use the equipment. I just need to know a time and date of when we want to do this. I will need more than a week notice so they don't plan anything for it that weekend. I also will need to fill the track hoe up with diesel before i take it back. Is there money in Naxja that we can use? Or do we need to find a donation. I will take care of the equipment and transportation to and from TSF for the equipment. I am free during the week and weekends except a couple days. I would like to get this done before they get to much snow as i wont be able to get the machine up there in the snow. Let me know what works for everyone.

Ill donate the first $20 for fuel.

Who else?

I'm in for $20.....
And unfortunately I'm only available Sundays for the next 6 weeks... any chance we can commit to a Sunday?

What day or days was anyone thinking about this?

I'm not sure on when how about 2 weekends from now?

So not this weekend but next....?
So maybe the 11th then?
Lets shoot for that!

The 11th works for me. I will pick up the machine Saturday night and be up there in the am. We wont need much for fuel its just for the equipment. It shouldn't take more then 7gals of fuel in one day. Let me know if that works and what time i need to be there.

The 11th works for me. I will pick up the machine Saturday night and be up there in the am. We wont need much for fuel its just for the equipment. It shouldn't take more then 7gals of fuel in one day. Let me know if that works and what time i need to be there.

Ya that works for me. Plan on meeting at saddle up at 1030?

PERFECT!

aww man, when i left for work this morning we hadent startd talking about it yet, i come home and dicsion is made.:smsoap:

i would have chose the 11th too, makes since. i just wish there was i little more time elapsed betwene the planning fase, and dicsion.

im IN atm. ill be packing a $20.
i know that many of you may not know him, or if you do may not like him very well, but i will be bringing Manuel along for the ride aswell
:cheers:
Bronze.

Back