• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad news

Wwildman

NAXJA Forum User
Well after having fun with my XJ it is leaving tomorrow . I am now going back toVW's

:(

youll be back. oh yes, you will be back

Well, we will miss you. Maybe you will find the itch to own another XJ someday and come back to see us.

Good luck with your new hobby.

I'll never own another VW. I used to own a 93 Passat VR6 wagon. It self destructed. First the plastic thermostat housing cracked. Replaced it. Then the PLASTIC heater core burst and pissed the coolant out inside the car. Bypassed it (ever try driving without a defroster during a humid rainy cold fall?) Then the PLASTIC water pipe started leaking, ignored it. Then the PLASTIC timing chain tensioner failed and the valves bent. This wasn't long after I replaced the rear shocks, which required removing the ENTIRE interior behind the front seats, including the back seats, to get to the top nuts! (if I ever had to do it again I'd just cut out the damn plastic out). Also not long after I shelled out a grand to get a new clutch put in. They just aren't built to last.

It was pretty fun to drive...

Last edited:
I'll never own another VW. I used to own a 93 Passat VR6 wagon. It self destructed. First the plastic thermostat housing cracked. Replaced it. Then the PLASTIC heater core burst and pissed the coolant out inside the car. Bypassed it (ever try driving without a defroster during a humid rainy cold fall?) Then the PLASTIC water pipe started leaking, ignored it. Then the PLASTIC timing chain tensioner failed and the valves bent. This wasn't long after I replaced the rear shocks, which required removing the ENTIRE interior behind the front seats, including the back seats, to get to the top nuts! (if I ever had to do it again I'd just cut out the damn plastic out). Also not long after I shelled out a grand to get a new clutch put in. They just aren't built to last.

I've had similar problems with build materials on a buddies 02 Audi, although he is trying to put 400awhp down the drivetrain, which amplifies the issues. Many times I have walked away cursing why it should be a 4.0 :)

I have ADD when it comes to cars . this time I am going water cooled but I always have a heart for air cooled v-dubs . I will still be around here

g luck with vw man, i have a 01 passat timming belt pullys went on me , 2 years ago... yesterday i got the tensionors for the heads to finish the project... wildman, wanna buy my vw? new timming belt and rebuilt heads!:eeks1:

I have ADD when it comes to cars . this time I am going water cooled but I always have a heart for air cooled v-dubs . I will still be around here

Ok, I was thinkin' a microbus with flowers and piece signs:peace: Or maybe a air cooled "Mystery Machine". :roflmao:

I like the old bugs, after them, VW sucks, I have worked on way too many of those things. I put Audi in the same regard.

Good luck on your "much more expensive" vehicular adventures.

I seen Wwildman the other day driving his new VW.

JK JK have fun with the new hobby.
VW.jpg

I forgot to mention the constant overheating. Since the 93 had a solid front grille, all the air intake for the radiator came from an air dam below the bumper. Of course it was like an inch of the ground and had been smashed off, probably years before I got the car. Without it I think the gap created a negative pressure from venturi. $300 at the stealer. Of course it kept getting smashed but I managed to keep it on there with duct tape and bailing wire.

Also the pressure bottle leaked. I replaced it. The new one started leaking a few months later. Also the liquid gold VW antifreeze.

I on hear the new ones replacing headlamp bulbs is a dealer-only procedure.

Anything from VAG is fun to drive but a maintenance nightmare.

i have 2 78 buses as of today. air cooled and super groovy

VW's are not Jeeps, but much like Jeeps they need regular service, VR6 engines are one of the better engines ever, the plastic water flanges and "crack" pipe(water crossover pipe) usually fail after 75-80K, billet Al pieces are available in the aftermarket.

I have never seen a VR timing chain fail before 90-100K (IIRC rec service interval is 75K).

I eat because people ignore VW's service interval schedule. Don't feel like a $500 timing belt replacement @ 60K? Ok, I'll eat much better on your $2200 head job @ 80k.

VW is still the people's car, the peoples just need more money...

Cnickgo, tell your friend to look at Stasis or 034 Motorsports for drivetrain components. The 01E trans (5 and especially 6speeds) have their limitations and flaws. 400hp from a 4.0L wouldn't be very nice to a D30/D35 either... The early/first quattro trans (016) is pretty stout and worked behind the 500hp factory cars with little to no modification. IIRC 034 is using one behind their 1100hp 2.5L 20v 5cyl, but has most likely been worked over.

My 1984 Audi 4000s quattro, a 4 door passenger car, is factory equipped with switch activated spools, I don't believe Jeep (or any other manufacturer) had that option until long after the XJ was dead. Granted you could buy 4 XJ's for the price of a 4000, and 7 or 8 for the price of a turbo wide bodied Urquattro.

A well equipped type 81/85 4000/Urquattro will go further, faster, and with more stability/control on 99% of the worlds roads than any Jeep ever made.

Try watching this (Sir Walter Rohrl on Pikes Peak in '87) , and tell me that can be done in a Jeep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DkQnTkV0hA9E&sa=X&ei=PxULTOCiNsKblgeI55npBQ&ved=0CFMQ8AEoADAI&usg=AFQjCNEUgVM_S1g8c3Dlq5is7T4tAOJ7fQ,

Wwildman, are you an air or water guy?

FWIW I have owned 15 type 81/85/B2 cars, I still own 4, a 63 Beetle and a turbo diesel Passat. I am considering a VW L6 twinturbo diesel swap for the MJ when my 4.0L dies.

wow gambit.. lay off the 12 pack of AMP!

Mark

howd you know it cost 2200 for my heads to be redone....

Cnickgo, tell your friend to look at Stasis or 034 Motorsports for drivetrain components. The 01E trans (5 and especially 6speeds) have their limitations and flaws. 400hp from a 4.0L wouldn't be very nice to a D30/D35 either... The early/first quattro trans (016) is pretty stout and worked behind the 500hp factory cars with little to no modification. IIRC 034 is using one behind their 1100hp 2.5L 20v 5cyl, but has most likely been worked over.

My 1984 Audi 4000s quattro, a 4 door passenger car, is factory equipped with switch activated spools, I don't believe Jeep (or any other manufacturer) had that option until long after the XJ was dead. Granted you could buy 4 XJ's for the price of a 4000, and 7 or 8 for the price of a turbo wide bodied Urquattro.

The sad part is he knows what he should do, he just considers it easier to blow up trannies and replace them. His driving style needs to change as well.

I'm EXTREMELY jealous of your 4000s quattro. I learned manual on an '84 4000s, unfortunately my parents got rid of it because they didn't want to foot the repair costs before I had laid claim to it. It is a dream of mine to own one.

watched the video and i have to say that if i was given the same amount of money that they used to fix up that car for that race i could buy an xj and build it to more than engouh to drive up that mountain road.... i mean i could have walked into a jeep dealership bought a new XJ and spent some dime on some mud terrian tires and driven up that hill climb..... granted i wouldnt have won the time trial but you didnt say anything about that did you ;)

weve got a v-dub and jeeps ;) the bug is hers, its in storage right now as we dont have a place to keep it right now, and she drives the jeep more
P4010012.jpg

P4010010.jpg

Back