• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running doorless

The doors have a "pretty-quick" disconnect behind the kick panel. Power door locks & ALL windows will not work with the drivers door disconnected. Some states have laws about doors, but I havent had any trouble in Ohio or Indiana so far.

I have had no trouble fitting my doors back on and twist my unibody a lot. (I have had trouble shutting my hatch a lot though.) I did however, have trouble the first time I made the quick-discos for the doors with getting the correct shims & alignment. I also found it to be easier to use a longer bottom pin than the top one.

If you have a four door, do the standard hinge hack so that they lift off, and you can arange them (one behind the front seats sideways with the back seat in the up possision, and one in the back hatch with the upper lip of the door resting on the back seat) so that you can take them off on a quesitonable morning, and if it rains or you decide you want to lock it, simply take them out and pop them back into place. I realise you cant take passengers in the back but honistly how often do all of your friends pile in your heep? Im making a set of half doors right now that will take up alot less space if i take them off, but for a simple solution for great AC on your ride into work and some pretty great looks, its a good way to go.

jfiscus said:
Power door locks & ALL windows will not work with the drivers door disconnected.
- Is there any way to hook up some wires to the harness where it disconnects and then a switch so that you can have them work? Cause I was thinking about putting a switch underneath the lip of the front pannel below the steering wheel to lock/unlock, and windows. Or is it one of those deals that if the whole harness isn't connected nothing works?

jfiscus said:
I did however, have trouble the first time I made the quick-discos for the doors with getting the correct shims & alignment. I also found it to be easier to use a longer bottom pin than the top one.

Any pics on how this is done? sounds pretty interesting and pretty sweet

Do a search here for pics/info on this mod.

There is no way anyone has found to make the door locks/windows work without the front doors on. I would suggest getting another door wiring harness from a junkyard and mounting the switches on your dash, then plugging it in to the rest of the harness when you unplug your real door harness. That should work...

Just curious...why would you need the power door locks and windows to work when you have the front doors off??

husky250rider said:
so u can lock the back hatch duh
But you can use the key to lock the back hatch. :)

I had a cycle cop pull up next to me on a major street..

he stared at my rig and just shook hi s head

I guess he was so amazed at my stupidity for removing the "protection of my doors"
he didnt notice I had no rear view mirrors

I suggest getting at least one mirror for the passanger side
just for looks or functionality (if ya can get it not to shake) :)

i thought a driver side was required. lot easier to turn your head and see the passenger side than it is the driver side.

Most states if not all require a driver side mirror. Some have used TJ mirrors or you can fab some type of bracket that you can slide the mirror into, tighten bolt then undo when you put your regular doors back on. I am gonna try and find some old doors and do the half door thingy and mount my switches inside so I dont have to mess with regular door or use another harness. Depends on what the donor doors have.

xjohnnyc said:
Just curious...why would you need the power door locks and windows to work when you have the front doors off??
There are still 2 windows in the back doors that I'm not going to take off, and it would be better to have control over them.
husky250rider got the other half right, open the back hatch.

xjohnnyc said:
But you can use the key to lock the back hatch. :)
Yes, this is true, but if I have my car running, and my friend goes to open my hatch, I don't want to have to shut my car off just to open it up. Plus, I go out to my car numerous times when its in the driveway, and I don't want to get out there, realize I forgot the key, then go back and get it. Yes it sounds like I'm lazy, but it would just be so much easier.

jfiscus, thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good idea, I was planing on driving up to a salvage yard tomorrow for a new fender and tail lights, I'll pick these up while im up there. I agree this sounds like it will work.

jayuu said:
not to hijack, but would it be wise to take off the hatch too for better air flow? maybe throw one of those truck racing nets across the bottom?

if better air flow is what you're looking for...why not drive a 4 wheeler without a helmet. i think it will give you about the same hair-do. =D without the doors on the highway it is not a whole lot different than having all 4 windows down. the air just kind of circulates..i've had reciepts fly out of the center console and they just kind of float around in the air like they are in a vortex..so the air is not rushing at you or building pressure or anything..having the hatch off would first off be PITA to take on and off, and it would also ruin all possibility of driving without goggles because dirt from your floor, seats, dash would by flying at you and any hopes of keeping papers, cd's, pets, non-seatbelt wearing passengers..etc, inside the jeep would be lost.

if you take the doors off and you get in med/high speed head/tail on collision the doors do offer an anti taco folding assit you might say. Without them the door areas kinda collapse as will the roof ontop of you. Just don't crash with 'em off and have fun.
Jack

CamoXJeep said:
Most states if not all require a driver side mirror...

Ohio only requires "a mirror" providing a clear view to the rear. The one stuck to your windshield is good enough.

Each state is different, though, and can/should be researched...

Robert

begster said:
jfiscus, thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good idea, I was planing on driving up to a salvage yard tomorrow for a new fender and tail lights, I'll pick these up while im up there. I agree this sounds like it will work.

Let me know how this goes, I never heard of anyone figuring out how to solve this until I just thought it up while posting a reply.

I leave my front doors off as much as possible all summer. I have kids/car seats in the rear and dont want them to get wet when it rains, so I have to leave those rear windows up all the time and it can still get hot on the trail in the summer.

side note:

an old guy at work told me last summer "oh boy dave, i don't know. i'd hate to see you get t-boned at high speed. I care about you, and I don't want to see anything bad happen to your driver's seat." that old s.o.b.!

I run doorless during the summer and still havent figured out a good way to keep the interior lights from coming on besides pulling the fuse. and also if my headlights are in i get that annoying buzzing...solution....??

Brett

Back