• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon August 09

We drove through to the other end of the trail and ran it "backwards", since we were camping at Sugar Pine Point State Park and had to drop off tow rigs. We drove around the lake a couple of hours three days later to get back to camp. I will not be towing if I make this trip, so it won't matter as far as staging/tow rigs goes. I sure as Hell wasn't driving my CJ a thousand miles each way.

Since I will be towing my Jeep, will have my kids/family with me, and I can "work" most of the way down there my intent is to spend several days on the drive down and back up, "working" along the way.

Michael

So any more discussion on this Michael? I would really like to get down to the Rubicon this summer, maybe stop at the dunes in Oregon for a day on the way down.

-Alex

So how many of you are willing to start committing to dates?
Here are my current thoughts:
1. August 22nd-23rd Fordyce, August 24th-26th Rubicon, August 27th-28th, Barrett Lake.
2. August 31st-2nd Rubicon, Sept 3rd-4th Barrett Lake, Sept 5th-6th Fordyce.
Michael

DUE to TTC being moved I am leaning towards August 15th to the 23rd.
15-16th on Fordyce, 17-19th on Rubicon, 20-21st on Barrett Lake.

I can still move it around a little but this keeps us off the Rubicon while the Jeep Jamboree is there and gets me back in time to make some changes/repairs before TTC.

Anyone else still interested?
Michael

If you're towing, the rubicon is kinda annoying (unless you have plates and a semi-streatable rig)

If you're running trails in that order, I'd:

go to Cisco Grove Campground off I-80 at Cisco Grove exit, leave tow rigs there. (make sure to pay for the space - it prevents people from vandalizing your tow rigs)
street the rigs 1 exit down to Eagle Lakes Road.

I'd jump on fordyce and wheel up a ways, then camp. Then head up and run winch hill 3 (the one with the v-notch) and then turn around, and run out at the comitte crossing, and take the fire roads back to the tow rigs.

From there, Id tow / drive into south lake tahoe (go up thru truckee and around the lake for a nice dusk drive) and get a hotel and a shower in south lake.

the next morning, Id go into the 'con from the tahoe side (down cadalac and up big sluice) and camp at buck island lake.
I'd spend a day enjoying the lake, and the absence of people (because its a week day).
Id head out through loon lake side, and either drive the rigs back to south lake, or have someone give me a ride to my tow rig, then do the hotel and shower thing again.
In the morning, I'd head to Barret Lake (Off I-50 between South Lake Tahoe and Ice House Road).
Head into barret, camp at the lake.
Stay the next day (friday)?
Head out on saturday, and get a hotel / shower somewhere, and spend sunday driving home...

A few notes on the Rubicon Trail and Barret Lake trails -
Both of these trails are 'pack it in, pack it out' trails - meaning garbage, poop, beer cans, shotgun shells, and leaked oil all needs to be taken out with you.

Both of these trails lie in ElDorado National Forest - and are subject to a 100? foot rule - meaning that you can never be more than 50 feet from the centerline of the defined trail - this makes the 'between the trees' little sluice bypass ilegal, as well as camping at the shoreline of most any lake.

While you can camp at Spider Lake, there is a no-vehicle policy, meaning that you would have to leave the vehicle down the hill where the 'no vehicles beyond this point' sign is - out of sight. I've never been comfortable with that.

both Tahoe National Forest (TNF) and ElDorado National Forest have imposed different fire restrictions in the past, and as a responsible wheeler, I'd encourage you to be knowledgeable about these before heading out.

Propane based campfires are sometimes legal, and a good way to go.

In 2007, TNF closed the entire forest to vehicle trafic - including fordyce, citing some fire danger... 2008 saw the closure due to wet conditions for a long time... I dont know what 2009 will hold...

Check http://www.fordycetrail.org/ and http://www.friendsofeldorado.com/ for more info on the trails and the groups that fight to keep them open.

DUE to TTC being moved I am leaning towards August 15th to the 23rd.
15-16th on Fordyce, 17-19th on Rubicon, 20-21st on Barrett Lake.

I can still move it around a little but this keeps us off the Rubicon while the Jeep Jamboree is there and gets me back in time to make some changes/repairs before TTC.

Anyone else still interested?
Michael

When is the TTC now?

-Alex

Opie,

Thank you VERY much for the insight!!
I will read up on the websites and keep all of that info in mind.

Michael

Im out. If a bear can poop in the woods and I cant, I dont feel like hauling a bucket full of poopy around for a few days.

:D :D

I'm not jokeing...

I'd also STRONGLY caution people on those trails to STAY on the TRAIL...

People have been cited for being too far from the trail - even while camping - you used to be able to drive off trail and camp by Buck Island Lake, this isnt the case in most of the old camp spots anymore...

and because the Rubicon is considered a county road (and they do partol it) you can get a DUI on the Rubicon...

So you cant even walk off the trail?

I already knew about the pooper deal.

Vehicles cant leave the trail. People can walk anywhere.

there are some cool places to visit on the Rubicon - the lake that feeds Buck Island is a short hike, and depending where you camp, the spillway for buck island dam is something cool to check out.

Off the barret lake trail there is a hiking path to some airplane wreckage that is kinda cool to check out.

:thumbup:

There goes half of the crew... :laugh:

-Lyle

you just cant drink WHILE driving...

I've been known to pull off, have a beer, and continue on...

the 'keep it on the down low' usually works well :thumbup:

Save the partying hard till the campsite, and just stay 'refreshed' during the day, and you wont have a problem. :cheers:

Count me in, My grand parents have a house in west shore, safe place to stage, and keep trailors/ tow rigs, and very possible place to stay/shower before and after then run, i need to get ahold of them to see when there renters start coming up

Anyone still interested?

I plan on being on the Rubicon August 20-21st.
I plan on being on Fordyce August 22-23rd.

Let me know.
Michael

Back