• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof mounted light rack opinion

I took the lights off the roof of mine. I kept ripping them off on low hanging limbs anyways. If you can put smaller square lights UNDER that bar would be better. Or at least as low as you can get them.

I've seen Liberty Renegade light bars mounted on the roof. Looks pretty good. I'm not so sure about function though. The glare roof lights can cause on the hood can be annoying.

Here's a comanche with the liberty bar:
images

Last edited:
I'm not really worried about the glare, I'm looking for something extremely bright that can light up the entire trail. Usually when I go out I'm mudding not climbing so my family is on honda atcs in front of me and their headlight don't always work very well. I want the lights up high for the angle the light will be projected at.

N2L Ill look into that liberty roof rack I've seen them on the liberties, but I always wondered just how bright they really were and if they were long range beams.

Bigalpha I think the hellas would work great but I think they might be a little over budget, I'm trying to get the whole deal hooked up for under 400.

Lowrange2 I really like that idea about mounting square lights under the bar. I have two square lights on my front bumper now that were mounted from the factory. I was thinking about mounting two round lights in the middle of that bar and two square one on the outside.

Anyway keep the opinions coming I like hearing what everyone thinks it gives me ideas.

Thanks,
Ian

What you want to look for is a pencil beam light. I have a set of KC daylighters that will one day get put on the jeep. Is that a gutter mount light bar?

I really like the daylighters, do you have the 100w or 130w and do you think that makes very much of a difference? I already knew the whole thing about the pencil beam and euro beam and since my lights on the front bumper are fogs they light up a good amount of the area right in front of the car. I need to upgrade my harness for the headlights so my mid range lights are brighter then I would put maybe 4 of those long range KCs on the roof.

What do you think?

I really like the daylighters, do you have the 100w or 130w and do you think that makes very much of a difference? I already knew the whole thing about the pencil beam and euro beam and since my lights on the front bumper are fogs they light up a good amount of the area right in front of the car. I need to upgrade my harness for the headlights so my mid range lights are brighter then I would put maybe 4 of those long range KCs on the roof.

What do you think?

130w IIRC. They were on my Ford Ranger's Warn brush guard when I rearended an explorer. Lights still worked so I kept them. I'd like to mount them on the front bumper but need some type of stinger or hoop to protect them. Which is why I have yet to put them on. I had 4 of the kc's on teh roof rack and found that when mounted way foward they made ahuge reflection on the hood. I think moved them back and it made a huge difference. Those were the 100W floods though.

Here is my 84 back in the day with the heavy ass roof rack I made:

DSCF0032.jpg

It looks nice I'm not a huge fan of racks. I just don't really like the way they look. That's why I have been looking for a good light bar. I think the Carr rotabar will work well since I can rotate the lights down for when I have to park in the garage on campus since I barely fit in there as it sits now

I like the KJ lights on the xj.. is there a write up?

Stick them on your bumper.

My four lights had a huge spread left to right. I had them pointed right above where the headlights pointed. They lit up a huge area. Totally worth it.

707703_37_full.jpg

Thats a sweet and clean MJ!

Bigalpha do you think the long range square KCs would work ok on the bumper bc I have two fogs in the middle of the bumper now that are pointed kinda down and if I had the long range pointed slightly up would that accomplish what I'm going for?

Bigalpha do you think the long range square KCs would work ok on the bumper bc I have two fogs in the middle of the bumper now that are pointed kinda down and if I had the long range pointed slightly up would that accomplish what I'm going for?

Could be. I know that in my area I would point them outwards so it lit up more of the shoulder (deer). It depends on the actual beam pattern.

N2L Ill look into that liberty roof rack I've seen them on the liberties, but I always wondered just how bright they really were and if they were long range beams.

Thanks,
Ian

if you pursue this, and are looking for NIB, check eBay over a dealer. There are some decent knockoffs, but MAKE SURE YOU GET A 360 VIEW! Some have no back plastic to them. I looked pretty extensively at this option, and there are good quality copies out there for a good price.

N2L, do you have a thread on that MJ with the Liberty lights?

Man I wish. I've found a lot of discussion surrounding this MJ on comancheclub.com and various jeep sites, but no build thread. Jeepgeek linked another photo I have saved. Its really well done.

I run the Carr bar with Daylighters and love it. Very secure. I've got my Thule MOAB mounted behind it minus the fairing. It's a good setup in my opinion

Back