• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reply from Amsoil dealer. What about it?

I looked around for info before I ran it and could find anything that said not to run it. The desciption of it fits my climate prefectly at least for the winter months. Thats why I thinking of switching to a 40 for the summer.

Weasel said:
I looked around for info before I ran it and could find anything that said not to run it. The desciption of it fits my climate prefectly at least for the winter months. Thats why I thinking of switching to a 40 for the summer.

Well here's something that says do not run it.
DON'T EVER RUN A 5w20 IN A 4.0!!!!
Never, no matter what the temperature. You do not change the second number based on temperature, only the first. (I.E. 5w30 in the winter, 10w30 in the summer) You will have ALOT more wear with a 5w20.

Amsoil is arguebly the best, but I don't like to deal with their dealers. Mobil One is also very good, and readily available at any decent auto parts store, I got mine at Costco and it will eventually clean out your engine, you do not need a engine flush. If you do use an engine flush be very careful, otherwise it loosen so much crud at once, it WILL clog up your passages! See this link: http://www.getahelmet.com/tech/syntheticoil/
scroll to about halfway and look for a picture of the camshaft cover, it is sparkling clean, after 384 hours or 16 straight days with just the Mobil One oil only. You should read the entire article it is good info about synthetics.

I use Mobil One synths, and use Purolater filters... Mobil One 301 filters are very nice, slightly better cooling capacity and more oil capacity but too expensive @ $11 a pop. I changed mine to synthetic when I got mine used at approximately 36,000 miles from the dealer. I change my oil at 4-5k miles, I know I can go for longer on the oil but it is the filter I am concerned about...at this time the filter is dirty. So I change both at the same time, so no worries. :viking:

Last edited:
What is the thickness of a fully synthetic oil compared to 10w40?

I'm gonna need to change my oil in about a month or so and was thinking about switching to synthetic but it ets pretty cold here in the winter and I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth from winter to spring/summer.

Dean

DDCxj said:

Dean

wouldnt synthetic 10w40 and dino 10w40 be the same. synthetic is supposed to be better for cold weather startups.

DDCxj said:
I'm gonna need to change my oil in about a month or so and was thinking about switching to synthetic but it ets pretty cold here in the winter and I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth from winter to spring/summer.
Dean

Just switch to Mobil-1 10w30 and be done with it. Use a good filter, I prefer Mobil-1, K&N and I also use Mopar OEM filters. The 10W30 will provide both good summer and winter lube helping it to start much better in sub 0 weather. The first time I did a winter oil change I had left the case mobil out in the jeep overnite and figured it would take forever to pour in 6 quarts. Stuff poured right out no problem, poured better in fact than organic 10W30 at room temperature.
Check out walmart, they have these 5 quart containers of Mobil-1 on sale every now and then, thats when I stock up for all the vehicles for the year. Sams sells Mobil-1 for around $23 a six pack and BJ's has it for almost the same price. What I would like to find is a lower priced source for the mobil-1 filters... There was a company, RWE distribution, www.rwedist.com, out on Long Island that had mobil-1 filters listed for $5.99 but I never got around to seeing if they were legit or not, they even had Mobil-1 oil in 25 gallon drums at a pretty good price. The don't show up anymore so either they ran out of filters that fell off the back of trucks or got busted for something maybe...or they just went out of business.

ZmOz said:
Well here's something that says do not run it.
DON'T EVER RUN A 5w20 IN A 4.0!!!!
Never, no matter what the temperature. You do not change the second number based on temperature, only the first. (I.E. 5w30 in the winter, 10w30 in the summer) You will have ALOT more wear with a 5w20.

Well now I need to find the idiot that told me I can run it. 10W40 should be fine for the summer but it seems pretty thick for winter use. 10W30 you think would be alright for summer use? I do a ton of hot weather drivng during the summer.

Oh and I do sort of tend to drive hard. I've been cehcking out Bobtheoilguy but there not alot of useful info. Where does one get those oil testing kits? I may try it out just to see what I get for results.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts, they all do it, Amsoil too....
OK, the AX-5 and AX-15 5 speed manuals REQUIRE a GL-3 lube, not a GL-2 or GL-5 but GL-3. The primary reason for the GL-3 spec is that there can be no sulpher in the lube, thats what destroys the sintered bearings/synchros in them. All the asins are this way. The GL-3 is the ONLY spec that has no sulphur in it. The specs for GL-2, GL-4 and GL-5 all REQUIRE a certain sulphur content to be what they are. How can these companies advertise a GL-2 thru GL-5 all purpose lube when those specs are the nemisis of GL-3 requiring devices... At least Mobil-1 is honest about it and says 'go by what your jeep service manual recommends, we do not recommend Mobi-1 lubes in the jeep manual transmissions'...

dogtired said:
Amsoil is arguebly the best, but I don't like to deal with their dealers.

Yeah, they way they sell that stuff really is a pain in the ass. Most of the dealers are idiots and sell it like car salesman. Fortuneately I can get it locally for a good price, and that's the only reason I use it. :)

Weasel said:
Well now I need to find the idiot that told me I can run it. 10W40 should be fine for the summer but it seems pretty thick for winter use. 10W30 you think would be alright for summer use? I do a ton of hot weather drivng during the summer.

Oh and I do sort of tend to drive hard. I've been cehcking out Bobtheoilguy but there not alot of useful info. Where does one get those oil testing kits? I may try it out just to see what I get for results.

10w30 would be fine for summer use, although 10w40 or even 15w40 would be better. 10w40 would be fine in winter too, but again, 10w30 wouldn't be nearly as bad as 5w20. :) The 4.0 does best with a thicker oil - the internal parts are basically unchanged since it was designed in the 60's. Also with higher mileage, thicker oil is better in any engine.

I see someone was running 0W40 and had pretty good results.

Well Redline doesn't have 0W40 so I'm not going to even bother. Gonna run 10W40 this summer. It seems 15W40 is more recommend for diesel engines?

For Winter use I'll stick to 5W30, since it can get rather cold here. What about 5W40, in keeping with the 40 weight?

Last edited:
You guys do understand what the numbers in the oil gradings mean, right?

In case you don't, here's a quickie crash course.

The first number is the cold viscosity. Dunno what temp this is rated at, but I think it's either 32* F or 0* F. The second number is the hot viscosity, and again I don't recall at what temperature it's measured, but just think of it as "operating temperature," and the first number as "cold start temperature."

All the multi-grade oils, petroleum-based and synthetic, are modified to achieve their multi-grade properties. When I was a lad, back shortly after the end of the Civil War, there was no such thing as multi-grade oils. We ran 20 weight in winter, and 30 or 40 weight in summer. When an engine got really old and loose, we'd run 50 weight in summer.

The viscosity ratings are based on a scale that applies to conventional, straight-weight oils. When you see a multi-grade oil that's rated 10W30, what that says is when cold the viscosity is the same as a straight weight 10 (cold), but when hot the viscosity is the same as a straight weight 30 (hot).

If you have an owner's manual and look at the table of recommended oil weights, there are a couple of multi-grades (typically 10W30 and 10W40, and for the new models 5W30) that can be used all year long for MOST climates in the continental U.S.

Keep in mind that even 50 weight when hot is a lot thinner than even 5 weight when cold. What you're looking to achieve is a balance between cold start circulation (you don't want an oil that's so thick it won't circulate) and hot pressure. For my climate (southern New England) the recommended grades when I bought my '88 new were 10W30 and 10W40. I always ran it on conventional 10W40 until about 175,000 miles, when the oil pressure on long trips began to be lower than I liked (it was still within spec, but lower than I liked). So I switched to 20W50, then I switched to synthetic.

The owner's manual for the 2000 XJ calls for 5W30 in this climate. The reason is to promote quicker circulation on cold starts. In theory, at operating temperature there should be no difference between a 5W30 and a 10W30.

Personally, I don't completely trust that theory. On the older vehicles I switched to Mobil-1 15W50 to get the better viscosity at operating temperatures. The plan was to run 10W30 in winter, but it seemed I was always off cycle and running the winter oil into summer, or the summer oil into winter. Then I discovered Castrol Syntec had a 5W50 synthetic. That I could run all year, and have both good cold start flow and good hot weather viscosity. That's what I run in the older ones now. The 2000 is about ready to switch over to synthetic, so I'll most likely just run the same oil in all of them.

I knew that stuff but it's been awhile thanks for the refresher. 5W40 would also be a pretty good all year oil based on strictly the number ratings.

Weasel said:
I knew that stuff but it's been awhile thanks for the refresher. 5W40 would also be a pretty good all year oil based on strictly the number ratings.

Yes, but only in a synthetic, organic oils don't do that well stretching the spread from 5w-40 or 50, generally a spread of 30w is about all organics can handle unless they have been supplemented. The molecule chains on organics are not as strong an an synthetic.

Thanks to everyone. I'm overwhelmed.

Eagle, that last was VERY helpful. I've been curious about your 5W50 because almost no one else (except Hawaiian, I believe) ever refers to 5W50 & seldom to Castrol Syntec. So (1) you use 5W 50 because it has the widest range of protection & (2) you use Castrol because it's the only synth that offers 5W 50. Right? If so I'm all for it. I don't want to worry about my oil change intervals matching up w/seasonal weather changes or trips from Maine to Florida or Texas.

A couple more questions:

(1) Do you use Castrol in diff/T-case too? How often do those need changing? I remind you that I just had them changed but will switch them to synthetic at my next oil change (coming up in 1300 miles) if there's good reason. I see that several people use Amsoil just in diff. & swear by it.

(2) I read on some Mobil 1 website that after switching to synthetic I should change the first batch at 2500 miles, the next at 3500 miles, then go to the 5000 mi. interval. Someone else recommends that I change just the filter 1000 miles after putting in the first batch. (And add a quart, I think he said?) Does this sound about right?

(3) Do you agree w/Dogtired that engine cleaners can be risky in some situations--clean out too much too fast? Is the Castrol as good an engine cleaner as Mobil 1? (That camshaft cover picture was pretty persuasive.)

(4) What kind of filters do you use w/the Castrol? I see my neighborhood auto parts store--nice people I'd like to deal with--carries Wix filters, which several on this thread have mentioned as very good but sometimes hard to find. Can anyone recommend a specific Wix filter or do they just do one type?

I'm still sorely tempted by Amsoil; it has a great reputation & I like to support the non-mass market companies when they have great products. But I also like to keep things as simple as possible.

From what I have found Castrol is not a true syth. Only Amsoil, Redline Mobil One and Royal Purple are.

And Rich, I'll be running Redline so it should handle the spread fine.

As I recall, Castrol was sued over that very thing but won the suit--was found to be within the specs of a true synthetic. If anyone can explain the controversy in two-bit words I'd like to understand it. It certainly seems to perform in the various tests right up there w/Mobil 1.

Well I've been readin up on Bobtheoilguy.com and alot of those guys seem to think it's not, and they seem pretty on top of things.

If I want to get good syth. just look at the price, there has to be a reason the ones I listed are twice the others in cost. but my heads pounding and I'm outta here for the night.

Castrol's (and now Mobil's, and every other major oil company's) synthetic oil is synthesized from a petroleum base. Originally, Mobil-1 was manufactured (synthesized) from essentially "raw materials" rather than starting from a petroleum base. They sued Castrol because they claimed Castrol wasn't a "true" synthetic. The Society of Automotive Engineers didn't agree, and the court didn't agree. Immediately after losing the suit, Mobil changed their formulation and lowered their price.

Whether Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple are "true" synthetics (according to their own definition) or not, I know from friends and relatives in the industry that Volkswagen's synthetic oil is Castrol, and BMW's is (or was) Valvoline. BMW seems to trust it -- their recommended oil change interval is once per year or 15,000 miles. I figure if BMW allows their owners to go 15,000 miles on the stuff, I'm probably pretty safe going 5,000. I dobt very much that the "other three" are so much better that they're worth twice the price. They are essentially what Mobil-1 used to be, and Mobil-1 wasn't THAT much more expensive than Castrol Syntec.

As to the diffs, my '88 went almost 200,000 miles on conventional lube. Jeep started recommending synthetic for heavy duty towing somewhere in the mid-90s. I had my aging Trac-Lok replaced, so at that time I switched to synthetic because I was going to be putting in new juice anyway, but I certainly wouldn't dump a fresh batch of conventional gear lube just to change to sythetic.

Back