• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace 4.0 engine

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
Today I pick up the engine and transmission for my latest project XJ. The engine is “supposedly” out of a 98 with only 38,000 miles. I am asking for help and suggestions. While it is out of the Jeep what should I check and what would you do to it? It has sat for the best part of a year.

I will replace water pump and hoses… of course new plugs and wires
Will check and replace if necessary rear seal
Headers?

What else should I save my pennies for ;)

glad your up and around rodger...Header, brown dog motor mounts(complete set) did it come with exhaust:passgas:? some things u wont b able to check till we get it running....im sure im forgeting something...lol

Roger,

I do not think those will work. The 4.0 is long and the weight would be to far out for those stands to handle. I have mine that Jay and I built that you can borrow. We are not going to need it soon, just have to get it up to you.

I've got a 4.0l hanging off a #32916 (from the link above.) It's been wrapped up over at my folks for the last several years. I don't think I'd hang it from #32915.

Rich, if the #32916 would work I'll but that. Howver, tell Jay if he'd like to deliver his/yours for me to use than I'd pay him with the 1/4 panel guards and TJ flares ;) :)

I just need something pretty quick.

OK, I'm looking at headers...

What is the difference between "off road use" only and regular headers?

Is it that the off road only do not connect to stock exhaust?
I do not have any exhaust yet so I will need one built anyway.

Rich, if the #32916 would work I'll but that. Howver, tell Jay if he'd like to deliver his/yours for me to use than I'd pay him with the 1/4 panel guards and TJ flares ;) :)

I just need something pretty quick.

Roger,
That works for me. Let me get with Rich so I can get it into my Jeep. PM me your address and directions like we discussed on the phone. I should be able to get it to you in a day or two.

Jay

Roger,

I do not think those will work. The 4.0 is long and the weight would be to far out for those stands to handle. I have mine that Jay and I built that you can borrow. We are not going to need it soon, just have to get it up to you.
D'oh, I got a 3 wheeler from Autozone a couple of weeks ago, did I make a mistake?

Will, I am going to discuss a STROKER and headers and such with Rich and jay this weekend. I am not very knowledgeable in that area but would really like to.

Its pretty easy honestly from what I have read.. Will talk to you this weekend though...

Yes, should I replace it while out?

Also I really do not want to tie up my buddy's engine stand for this. I see ones at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=engine+stand

would either of these work for my 4.0L ????

We had a 460 BBF on that 4 wheeled stand at my friend's house and it was a PITA to turn over (two man job) but it never seemed like we were in danger of the engine falling off. I could do a quick torque calc but common sense is telling me you'll be ok.

I've got a 4.0l hanging off a #32916 (from the link above.) It's been wrapped up over at my folks for the last several years. I don't think I'd hang it from #32915.

Same here. I had it on there for 3 years spinning it around messing with it every once and awhile no problem. I didn't notice the stand sagging or anything.

And if you want to learn about strokers, just go search in the street and performance forum and there is a very large abundance of information. Read read read and read some more.

But if there is one that can be borrowed for free that's money that can be spent else where to though. We will be bringing it up this weekend and getting my stuff from you and stuff from Swamprat too I do believe.

Jay and Rich... I assume you are going to his place first? I will be home all weekend just need a call to be sure I'm around and not running an errand when you come.

I'll have some beverages on ice too ;)

Back