• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix help.

well, finally got the coolant sensor in.
no change.
tried the tps swap again.
i did learn if you get a new or used TPS and it wont give you the voltage range, slightly bend the arm and then try it.
so i checked all the wires for the knock sensor, temp sensor, and o2 sensor.some are scorched, but no cuts. i put new plastic loom on them and re routed along the stainless steel hard line and down past the back side of the engine mount. i am ruling out those wires and sensors as my problem.
the wires were routed around the end of the manifolds with no loom on them.

i have a CPS sensor to try. i ll try that sunday and report back.
running out of ideas here.
got to get rid of the high idle.

If you solved it by covering the port, you where the issue is.
Some IAC's require adjustments prior to install (usually they will have a small card stating so). Swap the Latch Relay for another relay you know is good. Try starting again, twice.
If that has no effect start tracing the IAC wiring back.
Enjoy the pizza, and good luck.

latch relay? where is this?

ok, found a thread Cruiser dropped in on and suggested more cleaning, did that.
i cleaned the wire terminations on the small relay by the battery. and pulled each black square relay and hit the blades with a wire brush and a shot of wd40 (it is all i have) where they mount.
the nut on the rear of the head, i cant get to it so i am going to just make a new ground cable in the morning. and mount it where i can access it if i need to.
anyone think the CPS can be left or what? i have a used spare, and no idea if bad or not. it was working in my MJ and swapped out and noticed no change in it so i kept the CPS as a spare.

also, tps numbers are 4.91 input V and 4.15 output V.

On the square connector transmission side with the harness connected to the TPS?

You can always try swapping out the jeep LOL.

" wires for the knock sensor, temp sensor, and o2 sensor.some are scorched,"

Now you need to get serious about using a volt-ohm meter to run wire tests one wire at a time. Do you have the Renix Multiport Injection factory manual? It saved me years on BS. Did you know that the TPS location is adjustable to change the idle voltage?

well, finally got the coolant sensor in.
no change.
tried the tps swap again.
i did learn if you get a new or used TPS and it wont give you the voltage range, slightly bend the arm and then try it.
so i checked all the wires for the knock sensor, temp sensor, and o2 sensor.some are scorched, but no cuts. i put new plastic loom on them and re routed along the stainless steel hard line and down past the back side of the engine mount. i am ruling out those wires and sensors as my problem.
the wires were routed around the end of the manifolds with no loom on them.

i have a CPS sensor to try. i ll try that sunday and report back.
running out of ideas here.
got to get rid of the high idle.

The CPS can not cause a high idle period!!!

ok, found a thread Cruiser dropped in on and suggested more cleaning, did that.
i cleaned the wire terminations on the small relay by the battery. and pulled each black square relay and hit the blades with a wire brush and a shot of wd40 (it is all i have) where they mount.
the nut on the rear of the head, i cant get to it so i am going to just make a new ground cable in the morning. and mount it where i can access it if i need to.
anyone think the CPS can be left or what? i have a used spare, and no idea if bad or not. it was working in my MJ and swapped out and noticed no change in it so i kept the CPS as a spare.

You can always try swapping out the jeep LOL.

" wires for the knock sensor, temp sensor, and o2 sensor.some are scorched,"

Now you need to get serious about using a volt-ohm meter to run wire tests one wire at a time. Do you have the Renix Multiport Injection factory manual? It saved me years on BS. Did you know that the TPS location is adjustable to change the idle voltage?
how to change idle voltage? mine never changes

how to change idle voltage? mine never changes

LOL, the holes in the TPS for mounting screws are slotted. You can rotate the TPS CW and CCW to adjust the output voltage just before you tighten the mounting screws. May take a few tries to get it perfect as the screw tightening seems to move it a little too. I prefer to do mine engine running, as the battery voltage goes up with the engine running (about 14.5 V versus about 12.75 engine off) and boosts the ECU to TPS input voltage to the TPS a little and the back voltage on the ground system affects the output voltage too.

on mine, no change no matter where you position it. damn jeep.
jeep is working and running good except this damn high idle. i had a lot of back firing o
ut the intake. can this blow out any of the gasket? i hear no leak except all the noise from the IAC hole. when i block it off with a rag, it brings idle down and i cant hear any hissing or vac noises. spray doesnt reveal any either.

Last edited:
on mine, no change no matter where you position it. damn jeep.
jeep is working and running good except this damn high idle. i had a lot of back firing o
ut the intake. can this blow out any of the gasket? i hear no leak except all the noise from the IAC hole. when i block it off with a rag, it brings idle down and i cant hear any hissing or vac noises. spray doesnt reveal any either.

The TPS output should change output voltage as you rotate the assy under the screws. Is the TPS defective, is mounted properly????

Also sounds like the IAC may not be working, the IAC, or wiring or connector may have issues. But the TPS output voltage must be right before blaming the IAC system.

Get that TPS ground wire down to under 1 ohm before doing anything else. 7 ohms is way too high for Renix grounds.

Check out my old thread here, "The RenX Files" that I wrote in the oem forum years ago. Lots of hard core Renix detail in that thread that is no where else in print or on the internet. Especially about TPS issues, grounds, and so on.

and today i lose 1st and 2nd gear. lmao really

What is the ohms reading power off from the ground wire in the harness side of the square TPS side to the negative post of the battery?

Have you read the RenX files thread yet?

There is also a critical ground at the transmission somewhere for the electric shift solenoids

You stated the voltage never varies, are you sure when you put the TPS on that the tang is on the correct side. Once a long time ago, I replaced the TPS and put it all together and I had problems. I can't remember exactly what they were. The lever on the TPS needs to be preloaded when it is installed. I got the lever on the side so as the throttle was opened, it never rotated the TPS.

Back