• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing spacers

just get 1.5 inch spacers and remove your factory .5 inch rubber pad, then you get a 1 inch lift.
no cutting
terrible idea, the pad is there for a reason. It's so you don't get even more scratchy creaking jeep noises.

For what it's worth I like the chisel idea - so long as you get the weight off the coil first.

Even if your going to use tractor trailor load straps, which would be very difficult to work in there, they are extreamly dangerous. Have you checked local part stores to get compressor bolts, mine was long bolts and hooked jaws, not very safe or user friendly but im here telling you about it. Oh and for whats its worth those little straps from wal-mart, one broke while towing my CBR1000rr with the front suspension barley compressed... Good Luck!

I just removed my spacers from the front of my heep with RC 4.5" springs. Basically what I did was to jack it up on one side until the tire came off the ground just touch to unload the spring as much as possible. Then I took a wood chisel and cut in into two pieces. Wasn't the easiest but, wasn't really all that hard either.

Good luck with your :repair:

Ohh, it took me a few reads but I get you now...

I may try that. Are these things not really worth anything to sell? I am broke as hell and would love any money I can get.

Why don't you just unbolt the tackbar, then the shocks, then the control arms until you can get the axle low enough for the springs to come out?

I did it with 5.5" lift, but I had an OTA trackbar mount and control arm drop brackets. I had to unscrew the brake lines from the body also, but it's really not all that hard.

Do it safe and do it right even though it might take a little longer.

I don't mind everything except the control arms, seems like a big pita. How did your brake fluid not empty itself?

Also, any input on which leaf I should be removing?

Looks like I may have taken out the overload leaf (about 14" in length not accounting for curve) when maybe I was supposed to take the one above that out?

Remove the one above the overload leaf.

Just got done putting the overloads back in and removing the one that was right above it, and bolting everything back together. The rear doesn't sit any lower now. Actually, by simple yard stick measuring...it sits .5" higher now :huh:

Started at 23.5" above the ground from the flat underside of the rocker panel, front and rear, now the rear is 24" from the ground.

Is this something that will settle out as I drive? I really don't want to take out the front coil spacers if the rear is going to stay at the same height...that will give me a really stupid looking stance.

Just got done putting the overloads back in and removing the one that was right above it, and bolting everything back together. The rear doesn't sit any lower now. Actually, by simple yard stick measuring...it sits .5" higher now :huh:

Started at 23.5" above the ground from the flat underside of the rocker panel, front and rear, now the rear is 24" from the ground.

Is this something that will settle out as I drive? I really don't want to take out the front coil spacers if the rear is going to stay at the same height...that will give me a really stupid looking stance.

Put a little weight in it and drive it around some. It should settle out. Anytime you unload everything and then put it back together it will need some movement to get things settled again.

I don't mind everything except the control arms, seems like a big pita. How did your brake fluid not empty itself?

The control arms aren't thtat big of deal and you may not even need loosen them, just the trackbar probably.

For the brakes I just unbolted the bracket where the hardline meets the soft line from the body and bent the hard line straight to avoid stretching them. Works great and can even works for relocating them lower.

Put a little weight in it and drive it around some. It should settle out. Anytime you unload everything and then put it back together it will need some movement to get things settled again.

Ah okay, so I guess I'll wait on the front spacers till things settle out. I always keep my spare tire in the trunk, I think I can add my unmounted winch :)sure:) and the tire from the boat trailer there too...or do you think the spare is enough?

The control arms aren't thtat big of deal and you may not even need loosen them, just the trackbar probably.

For the brakes I just unbolted the bracket where the hardline meets the soft line from the body and bent the hard line straight to avoid stretching them. Works great and can even works for relocating them lower.

Okay, then I will not be afraid to do it if need be.

How can I properly adjust the trac bar to the new height I'll be running at in the front?

Thanks for the tip on the brakes, I'll see how far I can go with the extended lines and then possibly do that if I need to.

In other news, I tried to just flex enough to get them out...but all I wound up with was a sweet pictar lol. It was enough tension off of the spring that I could twist it a tiny bit with lots of strength, and I maybe could have done it with a pry bar but I just didn't trust the whole setup. I'll try doing it more proper with dropping the axle.

IMG_20101114_144738.jpg

Holy crap that's a big pic.

As for adjusting your trackbar, just disconnect it and stand in front of the rig, have somebody inside turn the wheel till the rig is centered over the axle, turn it off and lock the wheel in place, and adjust the trackbar to fit.

With short arms and 4.5" lift I was able to jack the Jeep up enough to droop the axle with the tire off and pull my coils. Had to do it one side at a time.

This is the spring compressor I have used: http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-Spring-Compressor-W80555/dp/B000NHWP8U

It has u-bolts that attach to the coils. Never had a problem with it slipping off. Probably one of the safest to use.

If you don't want to use a compressor then disconnect the shocks, brake calipers, track bar and loosen the control arm bolts. That should give you enough play to get the coil out. If it gives you trouble try jacking up the opposite side from you are working on. Also, the front drive shaft could bottom out and stop the axle from dropping.

And don't use a ratchet strap.

Ratchet straps work just fine. Done it many times, although it is more work than removing a few bolts and dropping the axle. Its a spring not a bomb.

I think the really easy way would be a sawzall. Lift it, let the axle hang as far as it will, then cut the spacers and hammer them out.

:sure: I've demolished ratchet straps just trying to tighten them to hold my spare down, nevermind keeping a 150-180lb/in spring compressed by 3-4 inches...

People have had steel spring and strut compressors fail on them, why the hell would you even want to try some mickey mouse setup with ratchet straps?

With short arms and 4.5" lift I was able to jack the Jeep up enough to droop the axle with the tire off and pull my coils. Had to do it one side at a time.

X2, same setup

Did you guys have to unbolt "everything"?

Also, how did you jack? Just from the "frame" on the side you are working on or what? I might try from the very back of the drop down bracket if it will still let the arm drop enough.

Just to clear things up, I wasn't talking about the cheap ratchet straps you get from Walmart or something, I have two of the trucker style ones with straps as big as my tow strap and a ratchet big enough to put your whole hand through when ratcheting.

Thanks for all the help guys. Once my leafs settle down I will attempt removing the spacers up front.
Any idea how long it usually takes for leafs to settle? I've got my spare tire, winch, and jack back there as weight.

Also, how did you jack? Just from the "frame" on the side you are working on or what? I might try from the very back of the drop down bracket if it will still let the arm drop enough.

Just to clear things up, I wasn't talking about the cheap ratchet straps you get from Walmart or something, I have two of the trucker style ones with straps as big as my tow strap and a ratchet big enough to put your whole hand through when ratcheting.

Thanks for all the help guys. Once my leafs settle down I will attempt removing the spacers up front.
Any idea how long it usually takes for leafs to settle? I've got my spare tire, winch, and jack back there as weight.

I don't care if they're the best ratchet straps on the planet. Its still a bad idea. And that should mean something coming from me :jester:

As for how I did it... remove both the wheels so you have more room to work with. Put the jeep on jackstands right behind the LCA mounts. Remove the tires and let the axle drop. Put the jack under one side of the axle, right next to the knuckle, and jack up the axle until the suspension is compressed as far as it will go and the entire jeep starts moving up too. Then go to the other side and the coil should be loose enough to move up and down... move it up as far as you can, pull the bottom out, and pull it down off the tower. I had to have a buddy stand on the knuckle on the side I was working on to help bring that end down enough to get the coil off. Then switch sides and repeat.
And again, this is with short arms and a 4.5" lift that sat closer to 5", no ratchet straps or coil compressors necessary.

Ratchet straps work just fine. Done it many times, although it is more work than removing a few bolts and dropping the axle. Its a spring not a bomb.
Let me know what you think when a strap snaps and the spring ends in your face. You don't treat a compressed spring that holds 1000lbs like it is a piece of dead weight (cargo, ratchet strap).

All I unbolted was the shocks. I left the trackbar, control arms, etc solidly attached. Jack the Jeep up, put it on jackstands. Put the jack under the axle. Break loose the lugnuts, unbolt the shocks at the axle end, jack the axle enough to remove the tires. Now move the jack to one side of the axle, and jack it up. You may have to put some pressure on the side you're working on - have a buddy stand on it like mcantar said. Pull the bottom of the coil out, remove the spacers, replace the coil. It'll go in easier now. Repeat on the other side.

I think the really easy way would be a sawzall. Lift it, let the axle hang as far as it will, then cut the spacers and hammer them out.
Done it once using a ratchet strap on an RE 4.5" coil. Strap let go, spring shot through the roof of the work area. Never gonna do that again. We got lucky on that one.

Back