• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recovery winch

I find it ironic tho, because the WARN failed at 16k but the "engo" survived.. All Warns are junk and ANYTHING is better..
Because a $900 warn failed, that MUST mean that a $400 Smittybilt will survive even tho it wasn't in the "test"

I didnt buy my winch, to subject it to double its rated capacity.. I bought it to pull my jeep out safely, securely, and FAST.

I find it ironic tho, because the WARN failed at 16k but the "engo" survived.. All Warns are junk and ANYTHING is better..
Because a $900 warn failed, that MUST mean that a $400 Smittybilt will survive even tho it wasn't in the "test"

I didnt buy my winch, to subject it to double its rated capacity.. I bought it to pull my jeep out safely, securely, and FAST.

I am hoping to clarify. Is that statement serious or were you being facetious?

Haven't had to walk home yet. Blew up a th400 on the trail once, but we found 1 on Craigslist and swapped it on the trail. Just think if I had a warn I could have winched it the 100 miles home.

Holy angry thread.

I have a Warn M8000. Got it for ~$530 shipped to my door. Hasn't failed me yet.

My buddy has a smittybuilt XRC8. Hasn't failed him yet either, though it's much slower.

I honestly don't like that Four Wheeler test. You can't test things ONCE and assume you have the best results. You'd have to test the same winch models multiple times in those scenarios to get an accurate test.

I agree whole heartedly about the testing. My point has always been the op asked about a cheap winch. Saying everyone has to buy a warn is like saying if you don't buy an atlas II, you better wear your walking shoes when you go wheeling. Not everyone wants, needs, or can afford the best of the best. I agree that warn makes the best winches available, never argued they didn't. I also think that pro-rock Dana 60's are far less likely to break than the Dana 30 that I wheel on. There are cheaper alternatives to everything. I've also seen broken warn's, broken Dana 60 shafts, and a broken AtlasII. Wheel what you can afford, be prepared for just about any part to fail, and don't ever think that your rig is bullet proof. Is my xrc8 more likely to fail? Of course! Thats why it cost less than $300. Will I be walking home (let alone die) if it fails? No. I would suggest knowing how to get your vehicle unstuck without your winch no matter what you paid for it. I also wouldn't suggest wheeling alone, that is when you will end up walking home.

I agree whole heartedly about the testing. My point has always been the op asked about a cheap winch. Saying everyone has to buy a warn is like saying if you don't buy an atlas II, you better wear your walking shoes when you go wheeling. Not everyone wants, needs, or can afford the best of the best. I agree that warn makes the best winches available, never argued they didn't. I also think that pro-rock Dana 60's are far less likely to break than the Dana 30 that I wheel on. There are cheaper alternatives to everything. I've also seen broken warn's, broken Dana 60 shafts, and a broken AtlasII. Wheel what you can afford, be prepared for just about any part to fail, and don't ever think that your rig is bullet proof. Is my xrc8 more likely to fail? Of course! Thats why it cost less than $300. Will I be walking home (let alone die) if it fails? No. I would suggest knowing how to get your vehicle unstuck without your winch no matter what you paid for it. I also wouldn't suggest wheeling alone, that is when you will end up walking home.
That's where we are getting mixed up.
I like wheeling alone, I Go Prepared, and I want to have confidence in everything i buy.. your right, I dont need an atlas, I dont need a prorock 60, but i DO need to know the product i buy is made to WORK. not just be a Pretty accessory. my NP231 and dana axles are NOT Chinese 4wheelparts blackfriday specials.. but i can assure you the gears inside them, were made HERE in America!

:cheers:

I personally had a th400, regarded by most to be 1 of the strongest auto trans available, fail. Your warn winch could fail, as could a number of parts that you could not get your rig home by yourself without. It is not possible to have a spare for every possible failure. I wheel alone on trails that I know I can walk out of easily for help, but sometimes shit happens, and you wouldn't catch me in the middle of the Dusy-Erishm trail mid-week this time of year facing a minimum 18 mile hike to the nearest road by myself. Point is the op didn't ask for a cheap American made winch, so I assume he doesn't care that your uncles, brothers, cousins, or buddies all work for warn.

If you don't buy American, you are supporting terrorism.

I know that my money is funding the USA, and not japans army ( that will try and take us over one day... Soon)

m8000 can still be had for <600 and the Vr8000 can be had for $400

What i love about the arguement of "the warn couldnt handle 16k"
Who subjects a winch to that weight? the only way to hold your jeep in place with that kind of pulling is to secure it to something, strap to a tree etc.. You're likely going to KILL your frame plates where the bumper mounts at 16k pounds before cooking the winch!

The main factor when shopping for a winch is LINE SPEED
just LOOK at the specs.. the XRC10 can pull 10k.. AT 1.8FT/MIN My m8000 is not even RATED for 10k and i can assure you it will STILL pull double that speed at 10k.. if not tripple!

when your trying to winch 25ft out of a situation.. the difference between 5 mins and 25mins is a DEAD battery.. any winch will kill ANY battery with constant duty.. i know i want MY winch to hurry up and get the job done.. so my battery can start "healing" :scared:

The Warn drained the battery faster than Engo, Superwinch, and T-Max and didn't get as far as them either.

When I point to the Warn failing at 16k, it's because you specifically said it failed pulling more than any of the others could handle. You were wrong. Admit it. It failed at the same point as the TMax (which continued working), and only 100 lbs more than the Superwinch. What it means to me is that should worse come to worst, the T-Max, Superwinch and Engo have a better likelihood, based on this test, to survive.

Notice, my statement specifically avoided comparing Smittybilt against Warn. I said based on the test, I'd recommend Engo or T-Max, since they performed the best overall in the test. I recommend the Smittybilt based on my experience using it heavily and not seeing any failure.

Show me your stats that lead you to believe that the Warn would be double or even triple the line speed of the Smittybilt. I gave my source with facts that I based my opinion on. Where's yours?

Also, I never said the Smittybilt is better than the Warn, however, it is cheaper, and has worked flawlessly for me. But, as I said before, it is slow.
I know that my money is funding the USA, and not japans army ( that will try and take us over one day... Soon)
Bahahaha! :roflmao:

This is a dead horse. Question was about a cheap winch. The responses were you'll die if you buy a cheap winch. How? Then it was I bought 1 of the most expensive winches on the planet. Who cares? Might be the best winch, not cheap. It only went down hill from there. Buy American or you support the Taliban. These are the same kind of people who wrote the stupid magazine article. Your overpriced winch gets beat in the only 2 categories that matter to most of us, price and performance. Instead of making having a warn logo worth the same amount of points as performance testing which would have seemed fishy to even the single digit IQ readers, they picked something they liked best about the warn and made the remote worth as many points as performance. We all now the magazine editors rigs have warn winches, do you think they pay for them after making up bs categories so the people who skim the magazine in the grocery store spend there money on the more expensive winch that didn't win?

This is a dead horse. Question was about a cheap winch. The responses were you'll die if you buy a cheap winch. How? Then it was I bought 1 of the most expensive winches on the planet. Who cares? Might be the best winch, not cheap. It only went down hill from there. Buy American or you support the Taliban. These are the same kind of people who wrote the stupid magazine article. Your overpriced winch gets beat in the only 2 categories that matter to most of us, price and performance. Instead of making having a warn logo worth the same amount of points as performance testing which would have seemed fishy to even the single digit IQ readers, they picked something they liked best about the warn and made the remote worth as many points as performance. We all now the magazine editors rigs have warn winches, do you think they pay for them after making up bs categories so the people who skim the magazine in the grocery store spend there money on the more expensive winch that didn't win?

Right, because magazine editors make good money, when was the last time you seen a NICE rig ($50k+) with Chinese junk all over it?

:confused1

:patriot:

Keep proving my point. Do you honestly think that the quality of your winches remote is worth as much as its performance? We all know buy now that your a die hard warn fan. Warn winches might be the best on the planet. But you can't honestly feel that the article in reference wasn't rigged for warn to win?

you forgot to mention the cheap reliable easy to rebuild if it does ever break suggestion of buying a used Warn 8274..

in the end it's what will give YOU peace of mind that matters.

If that's save the $ and possibly last just as long as if you'd spent alot of dough.
knowing you may (or may not) end up having to replace every few years like my old man.

or buying just because it's usa and you can hold your head a little higher when you wave your flag (who actually waves their flag by hand anyway).. SO be it !

or finding something you feel you can rely on in the long haul (i.m.o. That's peace of mind)..
that's how I feel about my warn. Not because it says warn or was made in a special place by special people..
but because I have seen it's internals and it's so dang simple you could almost rebuild it w a hammer..and it's made of solid peices..

when I got the dang thing it had almost no oil in it and water inside it and worked great at almost 30 years old.

Last edited:
I also think the same magazine could run the same tests 10 times and get different results that's just life. Anything can and will break.

but with proper use and maitenance (ie not purposly overloading to "test" whos better at being abused) any quality winch should last a long time. That's where quality shows. Durability to blatent abuse is a little different..

on a side note I understand patriotism but don't let it make you look ignorant and unyeilding. I am a patriot as well ..
I am in lawncare landscapes irrigation and water features and am proud to have all american workers (makes it hard to compete ) but the commercial and high end neighborhoods appreciate that.. And we use almost all american made equipment and run american made trucks..
I even had American Made American paid in the back window of my truck in big letters for a long time.. And when I buy I start local and then move to american and then move to global. And sometimes the foreign goods are needed to fill what my needs are

Last edited:
I love my USA built warn!

e56220c7.jpg

I had a XD9000i, I used the hell out of it. Then sold it to buy the warn above. My buddy who bought it just about ripped his hand off the first time he used it, do to the line speed!

In my eyes, warn is the way to go.
Some of my friends have smittybuilts (10k) they work but they are slow and those guys are not the first one to offer a line ( do to insecurities?) it seems that when someone is stuck a warn guy is the first to say "I'll get my jeep".

I have seen in person, a smittybuilt on it's first and last use. My buddy was in a ditch in the snow and he was not even out by the time the smitty killed it's self.
I don't mean just quit working, it ripped it's self apart.

He was pulled out with my warn, I wish I still had pic it was crazy!

b79d3ca8.jpg

Warn for the win!

This rig wheels triple black diamond trails
Not the mall with all the JK's

a5fa7c02.jpg

Listen to this guy he"s usually right about everything

sent from my mind because I'm so Awesome!

If you don't buy American, you are supporting terrorism.

Said the guy typing on a computer that was manufactured in China, parked on top of his IKEA computer desk. How many of your household products are from the US? How many of your 'Mopar' parts say "hecho in Mexico" on them? Yeah it's nice to buy american when applicable, but get a grip man.

Back