• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch ladder - pics

That looks great and very clean. Looks like your gonna have some work on your hands now. Damn, I just cant seem to get away from all these projects LOL Now something else to add to my rig. Later and good luck Jeff CamoXJeep

Very nice. Good job on that!

Cool. Beats the snot out of trying to keep the toes on the sliders and move sh!t around on top. Good idea with the weight being transfered to the bumpes when you stand on it.
I like it. If it works, who cares!

thanks a lot for the compliments everyone!

lobsterdmb said:
I didn't think those bumpers came with a hitch... i guess i was wrong.

John

it was like a $40 add on or something. better clearance and cheaper than a hitch.

y2kxj said:
looks nice but isn't it a long way to that first step?

yeah, it is quite a step. i thought about a fold down section that would clip to the ladder when not in use, but i could just see that thing flopping everywhere all the time. i'm tall. i can reach it!

dothedew24_7 said:
sweeet. You gonna coat it with no slip stuff or anything along those lines?

thats a good idea. i may have to try and find something.

i certainly don't mind anyone copying ideas or design to make their own. but i would appreciate it if nobody copies it and starts selling it. i'm looking into a patent right now.

matthew.

Even though its not something I would or could to with my truck. I like the fresh idea it is really cool to see something new istead of the same old same old.

thats a very nice looking ladder...was just thinking about the bolts going through the top af the hatch...when youre taking that step from the ground onto or off of the ladder arent you pulling away from your jeep instead of the force going straight down?

SirFrack said:
thats a very nice looking ladder...was just thinking about the bolts going through the top af the hatch...when youre taking that step from the ground onto or off of the ladder arent you pulling away from your jeep instead of the force going straight down?

correct. thats really the only time the force isn't going down. its getting pulled back too. thats why i put the attachments directly on either side of the hinge. thats definitely the strongest point of the hatch. when all of my 260 lbs is leaning back on it you can't even see it deflect. i'm confident it will hold. time will tell.

sarvermr said:
i'm looking into a patent right now.
deffinitely look into that, then sell your design to a company that has time and people to make them, RR or Rustys, with a condition that you get like $5 for everyone produced. you'd be getting like 250 a month, just for that...

Some Land Rover Disco's have a rear ladder. Might be tough to patent I would think, but I'm no patent expert.

Looks very nice. I was thinking of something along those lines, but to make it removable. The top could hook around the rack and bottom could slide into the receiver hitch. It's there only when you need it and it wouldn't matter if your hatch is metal or glass.

Last edited:
XJZ said:
Some Land Rover Disco's have a rear ladder. Might be tough to patent I would think, but I'm no patent expert.

Looks very nice. I was thinking of something along those lines, but to make it removable. The top could hook around the rack and bottom could slide into the receiver hitch. It's there only when you need it and it wouldn't matter if your hatch is metal or glass.

Good thought, but I would still put some "legs" onto the bumper or out wider on the hitch, otherwise the rack has to handle any wobbling from the slop in the reciever.

Sarvermr- Can you put up a pic of your entire roofrack? It looks like we built almost exact replicas of each others racks, and I'd like to see the rest of your's.

On another note, I have drawn up something similar to your ladder, but mine is over the spare carrier, C4x4 bumper too. I have mine mounting to the swing arm, then braced and attached to the actual tire mount, but I have figured a good system to get it attched to the rack so that the swing arm can actually move.

Good work.

Fergie

thanks again for all the compliments everyone!

Fergie said:
Sarvermr- Can you put up a pic of your entire roofrack? It looks like we built almost exact replicas of each others racks, and I'd like to see the rest of your's.

On another note, I have drawn up something similar to your ladder, but mine is over the spare carrier, C4x4 bumper too. I have mine mounting to the swing arm, then braced and attached to the actual tire mount, but I have figured a good system to get it attched to the rack so that the swing arm can actually move.

Good work.

Fergie

yeah, they do look a lot alike. i noticed that after you built yours.

my first plan was to build a tire carrier and mount the ladder to the arm too, but it just started to look like the carrier was never going to happen so i built this. i just keep the tire up top for DD duties and then take it off when i wheel. i don't really have any ideas on how you could attach the ladder to the rack.

here are some pics:

242380_231_full.jpg

242380_331_full.jpg

242380_352_full.jpg

The swing arm is rated high enough, I think...but considering the design I see no reason to think otherwise.

Maybe some kind of bolt coming up through the flooring with a hole drilled through it for a cotter pin. Dont know though, gotta think about it more.

I just need to make sure the swing arm can work without much hassle from the ladder.

The main reason I want the ladder is that the rack is large enough for my wife and I to sleep on, and I dont want her to have to climb on and off the rack in weird ways if she needs to get down. As of now, the bumper and tire are our ladder, so hopefully that'll change.

Fergie

Back