• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Thread...

Because I'm a genius...

nah j/k, the two front ones can be easily accessed from the end of the tube, and the other two I will drill holes where the tip of the mig will slip in. All they need are some heavy tacks and everything should be copacetic.

The 1/8" tube may seem a little on the weak side, but each bracket has 8 bolts in it, so it should be fine as well.

More progress tomorrow...

I found mine wasn't flat in there but I think I went further back than you have, basically I had to have a step in it to get over a hump. I just copied the nutcert strip I took out.

Cheers
Steve

Yea I found that out too lol, but I'm not going back that far. Like I said I'm only using the first 4 holes. Those combined with the stock ones should give me plenty of strength. I brought home some more metal today so pics should be up in a few.

Got the passenger bracket almost finished, just have to tack the nuts inside the tube.

IMG_1509.jpg

value pack? I just went though 2 value packs last weekend.....tested out the launcher, works great

Justin

DanMan2k06 said:
Because I'm a genius...

nah j/k, the two front ones can be easily accessed from the end of the tube, and the other two I will drill holes where the tip of the mig will slip in. All they need are some heavy tacks and everything should be copacetic.

To make things a little easier for you, here is what I do on my tire carriers for my KJ bumpers. Take a piece of flat, say 1.75" x 1/8 or 3/16", drill the same holes in it to match those in the tube, weld the nuts to the flat. Drill a couple extra holes in the 2x4, slide the flat "nutplate" into the tube, put some bolts into the nut plate to bolt it in place in the 2x4, plug weld it into place with the extra holes, then your done. Be a lot easier than trying to stick the mig in some access holes.

Why didn't you just back out the upper shackle bolt, drill a hole to clear it in the tube and then tighten the bolt back up? Saves weaking the side with such a long slot.

^ because thats more of a PITA. I want this to be able to come off/put on fairly easily. Even with the slot in the tube it is still super strong.

GottaBe, I thought that up late last night. instead of jamming the tip in and worrying about crappy tacks, I'm just gonna get some 1/8 plate and drill the holes, weld on the nuts, and then plug it like you said. Kinda an abbreviated nutzert.

hehe valuepack... those things are mega old. I'd say around 6-7 years.

And mounted. I had to grind down the bulkhead a little bit to get a socket onto the first bolt. At the store 19mm grade 8 shounded perfect, but turned out to be too large. Nothing that couldn't be fixed...

IMG_0508-1.jpg

Last edited:
^ No thats not what I meant, those things look like garbage...

hehe yes those are the ones :) thanks!

Thanks to GottaBeJeep for the nut strip and plug weld idea. I'll give him credit for that one.

As for washers, I'm gonna get some matching grade8 lockwashers and put neverseeze on the bolts. After knowing what it's like to mess with stuck bolts, I never want these to freeze. The bolts are only on there fit purposes.

A few more updates:

Got the main bar tacked on last night, took a little effort to make it straight, seeing as both brackets were not perfectly square. No big deal.
IMG_0511-1.jpg

IMG_0510-1.jpg

And this morning I got both side pieces tacked in place. Notice the bends in the end pieces. I thought the single-tube straight look didn't flow too well with the gentle curve of the tailgate, so I made mine out of 3 pieces.
IMG_0512-1.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

Next up are the recovery points and hitch, and then the carrier.

Last edited:
Update... Again...

IMG_0514-1.jpg

Drawing out the hole for the reciever
IMG_0515-1.jpg

Cut
IMG_0516-1.jpg

Tacked up the plate, gussets, and reciever
IMG_0517-1.jpg

Test fit
IMG_0518-1.jpg

Fully welded
IMG_0519.jpg

Excellent penetration
IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0522-1.jpg

For the reciever bracing I used a 1/4 plate, 4"x12" in dimension. Then cut out some gussets out of 3/16" plate. Should be plenty strong for anything I'll be using it for

Well I got the swing-bearing/carrier/hinge whatever... figured out tonight. I'm using a 2" solid steel rod, drilled out with brass bearings, so that a 1" rod or bolt will slide right in. Then a 4"x4" plate was tacked on, which will be cut down to 2" to accept the lower bar. Heres a picture of it. I'm drawing up the reat right now so you guys can look over and critique the design. I'ts based off of warn's rear bumper, but a little different.

IMG_0525-1.jpg

Heres a drawing. The only thing not pictured are the gussets that would be on the "z" bracket. The picture was getting a little too cluttered.

BumperDesign1.jpg

Hehe... yea this build has been a lot smoother than the front bumper, even though it is about 10x as complex lol. It's all in the time invested...

Well after running some numbers it seems my drawing above may be a little on the weak side. The space I'm working with is about 2"x6" on top of the bumper, so I would only be able to have 2 bolts on the bracket instead of 4. Anyone have any opinions? suggestions?

Back