• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Readiness Monitors? what does this mean?

Ben_Dyer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i scanned my 1998 cherokee with the 4.0L, AW-4, 4x4 the other day and a screen came up with the following message....

3 of 7 Readiness Monitors are completed.
***readiness monitors***
Misfire---Complete
Fuel system---Complete
Comp. Componets---Complete
Catalyst---Incomplete
Evap. System---Incomplete
O2 Sensor---Incomplete
O2 sensor heater---Incomplete

I did have two codes but both were related to my input speed sensor (P0700 & P0715).

What does this mean?

I have been driving this thing for almost two months now. i have found no answers to what this means only that it is a learning curve of sorts. and according to most of the links i have followed you just have to drive it......welll ive been doing that and its not changing. lets refine the question then....

will having the monitors not complete hurt or damage any thing?

Won't hurt a thing. As the article mentions, some monitors may be very picky about deciding when to clear. As long as there aren't any codes associated with the uncleared monitors, you're good.

why would the monitors fale any way?

so basicly since my O2 failed recently then the Catalyst could not be competed which in turn has failed the rest following suit.

gosh dang its crazy how i get to talking and reading about something it just starts to make sence.

It's typically only an issue where state inspections fail you if too many monitors are "not ready". Many states permit 2.

If you reset the ECU, all monitors show "Not Ready". It takes a few drive cycles to complete the test. Sometimes, certain vehicles require very precise driving cycles to clear. Sometimes the monitor never completes.

thanks a bunch guys its all making a ton of sence now. and that is the good thing about living out here Lots of fresh air to keep us from having to test every year. its getting close to the run in MOab and i dont want any problems popping up that could have been checked and avoided. plus ive never heard of readiness monitors before.

and these were showing not ready before we reset the codes but sence i had the failed o2 sensor that code was probably still keeping the monitors from resetting and passing

If you have an FSM it should give the precise steps required to clear each monitor. On the Ford stuff at work the scan tool will give exact parameters required to clear each and basically show you how to drive the vehicle until they all complete. Some of the requirements aren't exactly what you'd do while driving normally, either- but that varies with manufacturers.

I should change my statement a little bit. Monitor completion can be an indication of a problem that the pcm hasn't flagged with a code yet. For example, my 97 xj. As the linked article mentions, a downstream O2 should throw a code if the pcm sees it mirroring the voltage fluctuation of the upstream sensor. This indicates the catalyst brick is not catalyzing and storing oxygen as it should. I know for a fact the brick in my catalyst is fubar'd and the downstream sensor is also messed up, pegged at 1 volt. Yet I have no check engine light. Not sure if it's showing the cat monitor as complete. No driveability issues, though.

Last edited:
Back