• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC & Fishing late aug./early sept????

Rock2pus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Carol and I took the first day at Nacfest off to just bumble around town and investigate some info I got last year. Turns out, there is a county park with a huge fishing lake about 8 minutes from TwinGrove Campground...We were thinking about going up in late August or early September for a weekend, to do some wheeeling and some fishing...turns out the lake is stocked with 20-24" trout, and has great hiking trails, kayak rentals, and a really cool waterfall.
Anyone interested?
Rich
P.S. We are also headed back there for Groundhog day for sure this year..They have a big breakfast/ event there, and we thought it would be fun to see it in winter and maybe do some snow 'wheeling too...same deal...anyone think they could join up?

That sounds like fun. I will be fishing in Canada the whole last week of August, but if you go in Sept, I will try to make it for at least a day.

Rich, you had me at fishing. New jeep should be ready to roll by then. I need a weekend like that. Let me know.

Early September it is, we'll work out the details as we go..You will like the lake we found, Bob...one hell of a park, just minutes from the campground.
Rich
P.S. if youre getting out local in the near future to drop some lines in, let me know.

If my job doesn't suck and my jeep doesn't suck i'll be all over this like a cheap suit.

Sounds like a cool idea, if I'm free whenever it happens I'd be interested. Do you know what the lake/park is called? Maybe I'll go check it out...

How do out of state fishing permits it's work in PA?

How do out of state fishing permits it's work in PA?

I believe you can purchase on on-line and print it out. PA fish and boat commission website, or something like that.

I think you can buy a three or seven day pass.

You can also stop at any Wal-mart, Dicks, etc and buy one.

They aren't too expensive.

FYI the park is sweet arrow lake...it is a big lake, with a few miles of hiking trails around it, plus a big community pavilion, among other things.. its a whole 7 minute drive from twingrove campground. We were blown away by how nice it is..
Looks like a good time is brewing! I checked the gazetteer for pa, it also mentions largemouth bass and crappies in that particular lake....let's keep this going!
Rich

Rich, are you planning to stay at Twin Grove? If so, we should try and pick a weekend so people can make reservations. They are still pretty busy in early Fall.

My preference would be for Sept. 22/23, but 8/9 or 29/30 would also work.

I'm planning to bring one or both of my kids .... its times like this I wish I built an XJ instead of an MJ.

Should/could we bring a boat/canoe, or is it just shore fishing?

Rich, are you planning to stay at Twin Grove? If so, we should try and pick a weekend so people can make reservations. They are still pretty busy in early Fall.

My preference would be for Sept. 22/23, but 8/9 or 29/30 would also work.

I'm planning to bring one or both of my kids .... its times like this I wish I built an XJ instead of an MJ.

Should/could we bring a boat/canoe, or is it just shore fishing?

I was going to ask the same thing about the boats. it would give my dad and I a reason to spruce up our canoe.

and yea lets nail down a date!!

Boats are allowed, theres at least one ramp that I know of for sure. We may be getting Kayaks soon so perhaps we'll use em, or not..there is plenty of shore to fish from, this is a big lake.
Cool to see so many people jumping in on this one! I'm going to check w/Carol about her work schedule, and we will set a date in the next couple days, I guess? Maybe everyone could post up their preferred weekend and we'll take it from there?
Rich

Boats are allowed, theres at least one ramp that I know of for sure. We may be getting Kayaks soon so perhaps we'll use em, or not..there is plenty of shore to fish from, this is a big lake.
Cool to see so many people jumping in on this one! I'm going to check w/Carol about her work schedule, and we will set a date in the next couple days, I guess? Maybe everyone could post up their preferred weekend and we'll take it from there?
Rich
Off topic a little but if you & Carol get Kayaks, Old Town is the only way to go, IMO.
Shop them out or wait for specials and they are very competitive cost with the other, less quality brands.
Also, if possible stay away from the tandem ones. Having your own is much nicer on the water.

Yea I know Old Towns are made in Maine, and Perception is another local one ( pennsylvania)...we would be getting solos.

Just food for thought - we haven't set a date yet, though we probably should soon - but we are planning on doing the Rocktoberfest event again this year. I wouldn't want 'em to end up too close together. :)

I've got 2 10.5 ft Kayaks. But NO freshwater fishin stuff. I actually have no experience with fresh water fishing, but hell what a good time to start. I can request the weekend, September is better for me too (just not Labor Day, its blacked out at work)

So I know your really into fishing Rich, got a quick list for a lady to buy beforehand?

Late August, the 25th and 26th is actually the best for me.

Back