• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rally XJ - Team Hazard Rally

They actually felt great! I think I might need to go a step stiffer on the valving, but overall they worked out very well.

I think what I need to focus on now is some weight reduction, both chassis and rotating mass.

Congrats on the great performance guys, looks like you had a blast. Since you're looking for weight reduction and you blew a window out, I'd suggest with starting by replacing the rear side glass with a lexan or polycarbonate, whichever is RA legal.

Another idea... ZJ rear disc conversion, better braking balance and will be lighter than drum brakes.

I can't think of many other areas to lighten an XJ that you probably already haven't done.

If you come across any good shots from NEFR send them over. And come race with us at Olympus!

After seeing how easy it was to pop that rear window in, I think replacing the glass is definitely in order. There is no interior, so I don't think there is any weight to be saved there. I could save 100 lbs with a hemi swap :)

As for driveline rotating mass, I was thinking about an aluminum driveshaft, lightweight flywheel, and better gearing. We'll see what's in the budget.

Do you still have the window crank assemblies installed? If you went to a plastic door window, and used straps and/or snaps to hold them open/closed, you could dump the inner door mechanisms and loose about 50lb out of the doors.

Everything about the doors are stock. I'm hesitant to remove the windows because I've heard people complain about switching to plastic windows (just the convenience factor of it). I was actually considering getting power windows, because we have to run with them up, but between stages we roll them down since it's so hot. It is impossible to roll the window up while strapped in, and sometimes it becomes a last second scramble to get the window up before it's our time to go.

The door windows, are those straight pieces of glass? Any curve to them?

I think XJ glass is flat in the doors.

When you do your rear windows in lexan, have a few breather holes put in them toward the rear (if its legal) and then work on getting a simple roof scoop. That'll help the car breathe inside.

Everything about the doors are stock. I'm hesitant to remove the windows because I've heard people complain about switching to plastic windows (just the convenience factor of it). I was actually considering getting power windows, because we have to run with them up, but between stages we roll them down since it's so hot.
Yeah, If you're going to have glass(or plastic) it has to be open-able.
It is impossible to roll the window up while strapped in, and sometimes it becomes a last second scramble to get the window up before it's our time to go.
I can't even turn the window cranks in my MJ with the doors shut(side bar in the way) I wanted to dump the crank mechanism and replace the glass with lexan to remove weight. Haven't figured out a good mechanism for raising/lowering the window yet.I was thinking about a nylon strap attached to the bottom of the window which I could simply pull the glass up with, then secure the strap to hold the window up.

The door glass has a very minor curve top to bottom, and is straight front to back. The curve is minor enough that 3/16 flat Plexy or Lexan would conform to the curve.

So seeing as I lost the exhaust from the header back, I need to replace it with something.

Technically, the rules say I need a cat. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

I was looking for a cheap header, and heard mention of the APN header - is this a decent product?

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Pa...TF8&colid=1EWK9ECKI99V0&coliid=I1OCF50SVB6STK

Anyone have any preference on mufflers? And yes, I do need one - the thing was so loud without exhaust that I could barely hear my codriver, even with the intercom.

The apn is great, it's pretty much the go to header for jeeps. Mufflers are pretty much whatever you like. I like my fm50.. Not much louder than stock and it's beefier than the cheap "aluminized" ones.

The plates I'm looking for look like this:

41-%2BFqFCHPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back