• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RAD just bought another XJ

R.DesJardin

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just picked up another XJ, its an '89, I think she said, it is a RENIX I know that for sure. With an AW4 of course, pretty clean but the motor is probably toast. So now to contemplate what to do with/or for a motor???? I just have to make it keep up with you guys as good as my "other" 4x4 did. :roll:

LSx swap?

CTD

Aluminum block V8's, keep it light. I was kinda thinking L33 or a 1UZ. The 1UZ would bolt up to the trans with little mods and I am sure is lighter that the 4.0 I6. I have a AW bellhousing for one already. Then a 231 doubler to my D300 that needs a home.

Got it home finally. It runs good, previous owner said it overheats. It was an old lady who owned it. My first guess is air in the coolant system since it's a Renix, no sign of coolant in oil. Second I'll check the electric fan to see if it is operating properly. Anything else to look at?
I'll post pictures of the cream puff it is soon.
Plans are to build a solid wheeler with the stock motor and trans as long as the motor isn't toast. I'll buy the needed parts like frame plates and such and design and build my own stuff where I see a need for improving what's available or if I just feel I want my version. Thinking 4.5" lift and 33's maybe 35's. I'd like this one comfortable to road trip it for weekend fun. Gut it out to keep it light as I can before I weld steel all over it. So basic plans are lift, exo, bumpers and body reinforcement. Oh and I'm sure I'll add one of those bad ass shifters from that "Shifter Guy". Probably the Winters setup. :D

Here it is in all it's glory. Red is my favorite color.
IMGP1331.jpg

Nice looking xj! Looking forward to seeing how you build it!

I need to order up another shifter from you for my brothers rig, that shifter is awesome!

Back