• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on entire vehicle painting

These are all interesting ideas...keep them coming guys!

5-90 said:
No - I meant a clothes dryer - electric clothes dryers are invariably 220VAC, and that would have taken care of wiring in a circuit (220VAC/40-50A, IIRC. Plenty to run a compressor or most fab gear - one at a time, at least.)

Air dryers (for the lines) aren't typically electric, and are simply mounted inline (before or after the tank - if after, make sure you have a "pop valve" to drain water from the storage tank...)

Ok, I see. Sorry. When a painter talks about a "dryer" its always an air dryer. I see your point about the pre existing electrical, always makes things easier.

XJLaredo said:
Ok, I see. Sorry. When a painter talks about a "dryer" its always an air dryer. I see your point about the pre existing electrical, always makes things easier.

No worries. Yeah - it's a lot easier to get a "line dryer" than a "dryer line" installed!

i just thought of this as well: A couple of years ago my boss painted his Iroc, and he highly recommends the Meguires power polish for paint to use in it a few days later. got a rotory and went at it. He said that he couldn't hardly make it swirl the paint.

With the Dupont acrylics, the paints come in different varieties. The biggest difference is how much of the clear floats to the top and how shiny it looks when your done. Most times it seems the more expensive the blend, the shinier it turns out.
I wouldn't count on buffing an acrylic much. Maybe after it has curred for a good long time.
I have color sanded acrylics and clear coated over them with some outstanding results. A buddy wasn't happy with his buggy (red). After a few months (of curring) we color sanded it and clear coated it, it really turned out well.
I stay away from metallic paints and other exotic finishes. Mostly because I count on messing up the paint job on my Jeeps with brush scratches and stone chips.
I've had some good results with Dupont boat paint, seems to have some sort of adhesion enhancers mixed in, it sticks really well. And likely has some rust inhibitor in there also. The finish may not be as shiny as a typical automotive finish, but the stuff is durable. And IMO good enough. I've picked up the paint, the hardener and the thinner at a boat supply place for about half the price I'd pay at many automotive paint supply places (same with Truck paint at a truck supply place). Dupont has so many paints and makes so many paints for somebody else's label, it's hard to sort out all the offerings. You may want to search the Dupont site some. though it is slanted towards the professional, there is a lot of info in there if you can manage to navigate the links. I've linked around the password before, no priority info in there anyway, I think they password it to cut down on traffic some..

Back