• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proracedriver616's "jeeplife" story

Re: where have all the good cherokees fs gone

What were you trying to climb at ram to do that??
Must have broken before and just let go then. I can't think of anything at ram that difficult. Unless the locker has a problem like the Detroit did in truggy where the locker unloading kept destroying crap.

It was just on a small rock pile near the front. It wasn't the locker, the axleshaft broke and since it broke longways instead of just a clean break it caused the bearing cap/3rd member to fail. That's why I didn't buy a Detroit, they suck, break shit, have almost no warranty, and Detroit won't sell you parts to repair them. The Yukon has a 2 year + $3000 in collateral damage warranty.

9" axles suck and semi float axles suck, it was dumb of me to even try and build these axles. If I had tons they wouldn't have broke in the first place and if it did break, I could have pulled the shafts and driven home in fwd.

Ya but most of the time ( I'd say 80%+) 1/2 ton shit works just fine. Just a bad break that's all. You'll have it killin it again in no time.

where have all the good cherokees fs gone

I'm going to guess you like to jump your Jeep.

Pass. side:

13636716433_cefc90cc5d_h.jpg

Drivers side:

13571039204_fcfc642065_b.jpg

I did have stock shafts...
I'm linking this carnage to a bud that has big tars in his stock 9-inch. I don't know what the magic number is for horsepower, but a lot of straightliners will upgrade housing, differential, and shafts. Weight savings and strength are primary considerations.

When you put your housings up for sale, I'll be sure to cross post the ad.

It was just on a small rock pile near the front. It wasn't the locker, the axleshaft broke and since it broke longways instead of just a clean break it caused the bearing cap/3rd member to fail. That's why I didn't buy a Detroit, they suck, break shit, have almost no warranty, and Detroit won't sell you parts to repair them. The Yukon has a 2 year + $3000 in collateral damage warranty.

9" axles suck and semi float axles suck, it was dumb of me to even try and build these axles. If I had tons they wouldn't have broke in the first place and if it did break, I could have pulled the shafts and driven home in fwd.

I've yet to break a detroit I did shatter into 4 pieces a stock d60 inner neckdown long side it broke long ways and wedged in the tube I showed that shaft to Josh . the detroit did not flinch , but then again the last 6 inches or so that is a true 1.50 into the carrier did not twist a bit . You might say Detroits suck in small axles , but not 14 bolts, 60's , and 70s they are pure beef in that size carrier .

I've yet to break a detroit I did shatter into 4 pieces a stock d60 inner neckdown long side it broke long ways and wedged in the tube I showed that shaft to Josh . the detroit did not flinch , but then again the last 6 inches or so that is a true 1.50 into the carrier did not twist a bit . You might say Detroits suck in small axles , but not 14 bolts, 60's , and 70s they are pure beef in that size carrier , but saying that I sure wish these axles were built when ARB was available for the 14 bolt B/C it would make sterring much more responsive in tight turns .

where have all the good cherokees fs gone

I may have a blue 93 xj for sale. Needs a couple things but is a decent truck with a new paint job. Pm me for details

There have been two or three of those random "I have bla bla bla for sale" posts over the last couple years haha. People read the title and assumed I was still looking for a jeep.

I spent the afternoon at crawlertech today and made a little headway on getting my jeep going again. I pulled the 14 bolt axle dubbed "tin man" from the pallet rack and started tearing it down. That axle has been on the verge of being built by numerous people at crawlertech sinch josh got it...and i spray painted it "chrome" as a joke when jon aursland was gonna build it for his yj, and it got the nickname tin man lol.

I got all the brackets and tabs cut off, sanded the tubes smooth, welded the tubes to the center section, and started bolting on the disc brakes.

13919034112_1bb2aba24c_b.jpg

13919040092_0b4c0716a9_b.jpg

13919036662_aeb7820c18_b.jpg

All thats left to do is clean the center section a little more, weld the perches on, and run the brake lines on the axle, then itll be ready to bolt in! Gears and a locker will go in after i sell the 9" to help cover some of the cost.

Oh, and heres a comparison of my 9" shaft next to a 14 bolt shaft
13942176785_ecae616f5e.jpg
[/url]

You do fine work man.

The Tj is a full build that josh is doing, it's got a zz3 crate motor sitting in in and will be getting an atlas, 14 bolts front and rear, kings all around, crawlertech 4 link kits front and rear, full armor, and a cage.

I will be doing a 13 bolt crane cover but they are out of stock right now...waiting on the next batch to arrive from the foundry then they need to get machined, so the axle will most likely go in an ill do the shave later.

Between my new job and moving out of my apartment in lakewood and into a home in littleton i have had zero free time to work on getting my 14 bolt done and under my jeep. But i am quickly losing interest in my jeep lol!

If someone wants a screaming deal on my jeep thats about 90% done you should pm me! Im going to continue to work on my jeep when i find free time if no one is interested in it.
Or i might part it out.......

Back