• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "WTFWIT"

Coming along nicely!! I sure SeanR will agree the cage is one of the biggest neccessities when wheeling. Especially after WFOH-Ten

Thanks Jeffery. Sean hooked me up with that cage, so I have a little something in store for it as a "final touch" in memory of it being in Sean's old rig...just have to wait and see though!!

Got a lot done last night. Decided since the e-brake was non functional w/ my rear disc conversion there was no need to have the handle in there anymore. I pulled the handle and fabbed an aluminum plate to fill the hole in the console and mounted in a couple of switches in it. One for my aux reverse lights and one for future items. I decided to make a few underbody "sandwich" plates out of a bit wider strap, so got that out of the way. The steering set up is drawn out and measurements are taken. Should work out great. I have to still drill and sleeve the knuckles, but finding the sleeve bushing stock may be a problem in my area due to availability :dunno: I am hoping to get the cage finalized tonight if I can get some help to show up. My hired hand on the farm quit a few days back b/c I would not give him a raise to what the other guy is making...there is a difference based on experience..and this guy was not real sharp! :doh: Might have Jeremy come out and help get things tied up....too bad JR is on vacation in Florida....bastage!!

Pics or didn't happen!

Sounds good so far! Maybe I missed it but what 'style' of steering are you going with? I think I have at last pushed the stock style past my wheeling style and need to upgrade so I'm going through the millions apon millions of post on this site and pbb trying to decide what will werk best for me(going assist with new axle soon just need to get the 3 points to werk together to turn the xj the right way. ;)

I need to get a new camera b/c I ruined mine at Rockfest taking pics of topless chicks in the rain! The cage is all welded in except for the front feet, I am going to run 4 grade 8 bolts in a plate and then suck it down to the floor and then run a weld around the base of the foot as well. As far as steering I am going with an inverted T set up with 3/4 QA1 rod ends with 5/8" misalighment spacers. DOM drag link and tie rod. I am connecting the drag link to the tie rod via a set of double shear tabs. I picked up an AGR improved ratio steering box. Steering is designed so that I can go hydro assist w/o much work. I went over the knuckle since before I had the under the knuckle 1 ton set up from JCR. I have a few crappy cell phone pics, might take some more this weekend once the interior is back in it w/ cage etc.

read the post above yours :rolleyes:..I broke my camera at Rockfest. I am going to try and score a new camera this weekend possibly.

I have the front "feet of the cage bolted in w/ (4) 1/2" grade 8 bolts each and it sandwiches through the new plated floor to a 1/4 plate that is then welded and reinforced to the unibody stiffeys and to the 2x5 rockers/rails. On the frame side it is gusseted as well. kind of ugly, but stout as hell! I ended up adding gussets on the dash cross over bar, the lateral bars from the main hoop and even to the rear spreader bar. Like I said, it may be overkill, but went ahead and did it while everything was accessable and I could weld on it without being a contorsionist! I am now thinking about tying in the roof sliders/rack into the internal cage. Not sure about that one yet........

I am wanting to get the steering moving along so I can at least drive it by the end of this week.

it has been a long day, but still moving forward with this project. I redesigned the underbody structure/reinforcements and re-gussetted some places. The cage has me thinking it really needs some triangulation, but will get more attention once I get out of the uderside of the rig. I did crest the $300 mark on grade 8 bolts etc yesterday....wifey asked "how much are you going to spend on nuts and bolts?" I told her (insert Dr Evil voice here) ONE MIIIIILLION DOLLARS!!

And Blake..no pics yet either..and you drive a YJ :D

Steering did not get any luvin today....

actually plan on having the rig off the jack stands this evening and back on its own wheels. I need to do some more measuring on the steering before I go and cut the DOM links. I think if I can get my butt out of the pool this afternoon I might finish up welding in the remaining bracing and be done with all the underbody work. Or I might just look at it and drink a few cold beers and call it a night too.... :dunno:

I ended up mowing the yard and floating around the pool for about and hour drinking a few cold brews...Jeep shall sit another day.....

I have the knuckles ready to go to that machine shop but no way in hell of being ready for Disney by this weekend. I did have dinner w/ a good friend this evening and he said he would come out and help me tie things up as much as possible this weekend. I am hoping to get central AC hooked up before too long in the shop...just been too hot and humid to want to work out there. I would love to make it to Disney w/ ya all though.

You too good to answer your phone ya big private club YJ driver? :D

damn, should have called. I had a pretty loose schedule yesterday. Hit me up next time :thumbup:

OK, I am finally done with all I am going to do on the underside of this thing. I have added to, taken away and redesigned things way too much for it to still not be out wheelin. Welder has been causing me fits, so I am going to break down and buy a new one in the near future. I finally started putting the interior back in it this evening. I got the head liner in it and had a hell of a time getting the upper rear seat belt bolts in. Vice grips were called in :D Here are a few pics of the current state of things. Steering is still not done, but want to make sure it is right before rushing to finish it.

DSCN0025.jpg

this is a shot of the lateral braces that tie from the rails to the stiffeys. Some grinding on those bugger welds was necessary. Should be plenty to keep the rails from moving inward due to the rusty floors..that have now been plated w/ tread plate.

this is just a shot of the cage installed and the headliner back in it.
DSCN0026.jpg

nothing too fancy, but should work fine for its desiginated purpose.

Jealous...

Back