• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project wannabe Jeepspeed

e4aa216157016352e4c3c34c8c60dbf3.jpg

All done! Just like every other WJ knuckle swap you read about the results are awesome, huge improvement in braking and steering response. I haven't hit the desert yet but I'm excited to see the reduction in bump steer. I ran into 2 small issues on assembly:

1. The corner of the 5/8 bolt head was contacting the coil spring with the JKS OTK bracket so I had to grind the corner down.

2. My brake lines were contacting the lower shock mounts at the calipers. I had to drill and tap the stopper nubs on the spindles so I could put an adjuster bolt in them. Now my steering radius is reduced until I get a different style of brake line.

547de714d69630f700ea88c21d0a94eb.jpg

Why did you run the tierod under the knuckle? What are the grade of the blue anodized bolts?

I tried to run it above the knuckle but I had clearance issues, the tie rod would contact the cool buckets at half lock. The tubing is 1.5" OD and I have modified stock coil buckets but it still wasn't enough clearance. The blue bolts are Grade 8 5/8" bolts and I used crimp lock nuts.

Good Looking Jeep Bro! Ive seen that jeep and your buddies runner on instagram a few times. So I'm getting ready to do the back half of my xj and was wondering, Did you make the rear lower shock mounts or did you buy them? if so where? Ive been trying to figure out how to set it up and that looks clean. Also, how does it do at high speeds. Thinking of double bypasses on mine but don't know how that shock set up handles...

Good Looking Jeep Bro! Ive seen that jeep and your buddies runner on instagram a few times. So I'm getting ready to do the back half of my xj and was wondering, Did you make the rear lower shock mounts or did you buy them? if so where? Ive been trying to figure out how to set it up and that looks clean. Also, how does it do at high speeds. Thinking of double bypasses on mine but don't know how that shock set up handles...

Thanks man! I made the lower mounts out of the FT spring plates. Rustys actually sells a DIY spring plate shock mount kit, search it. As for the shocks, I went with 2.0 fox shocks because I bought them 50% off, I'm actually thinking about selling them and switching to 2 tube bypasses. I've revalved them a couple of times and it's better than they were out of the box but you have easier tunability with the bypasses.

Thanks man! I made the lower mounts out of the FT spring plates. Rustys actually sells a DIY spring plate shock mount kit, search it. As for the shocks, I went with 2.0 fox shocks because I bought them 50% off, I'm actually thinking about selling them and switching to 2 tube bypasses. I've revalved them a couple of times and it's better than they were out of the box but you have easier tunability with the bypasses.

I was curious though, well first, would you make another set?:yap: another set of the whole rear end? haha so with the shocks mounted like that, how is the axle wrap? as I currently DD my xj and I have heard that the axle wrap can become an issue when mounting the shock like that

I was curious though, well first, would you make another set?:yap: another set of the whole rear end? haha so with the shocks mounted like that, how is the axle wrap? as I currently DD my xj and I have heard that the axle wrap can become an issue when mounting the shock like that

Hahah. You may be able to buy this whole setup if I decide to go cantilever! Actually I have no issues with axle wrap whatsoever.

Back