• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Olive Drab

ladywolf said:
It would be a metric assload of work. 3 different colors, random pattern, squared off, etc. . .

You couldn't realistically do it with paint.

But you could get one of those full-body wraps made up, and just stick all those little squares on at once.

In fact, I know they sell rolls of the woodland-style that hunters use, mossy-oak and whatnot. Somebody may already be doing the acu, or might before long.

Robert

Edit: Sorry about the threadjack, looking forward to that update!

Last edited:
oh i dont plan on doing ANYTHING acu patterned. I wear enough of it, and got enough accent stuff from the army.

i'm still prolly gonna go w/ the blue idea

Robert 771 said:
Ha! I can imagine... you just got my gears turning, how it could be done...

Robert

oh i'm sure it can be done..........but i'm envisioning cardboard, or a lot of masking tape, and an exacto knife..............not sure i'd wanna go thru that amount of effort

Anyone ever notice just how little area on an XJ is suitable for a DA sander? Ended up sanding most of it by hand today, 8 hours of it. Apparently i'm anal and a damn perfectionist.. ;)

Since i didnt want to be there all night we opted to start spraying tomorrow am.

Was having a little issue with water in the airline, so Stroker added a seperator at the compressor and we picked up a crystal type filter for just below the gun. Hopefully this does the job.

More later..

XJsandmask030.jpg

XJsandmask031.jpg

a piece of heavy fishing line takes those emblems off nice and easy, use it like dental floss to get behind them. 3m makes an emblem adhesive that makes em real easy to put back on as well. they have a strong double sided tape or an actual adhesive, both work very well.

looking good! good prep means good paint, all your hard work will be worth it!

:D

Cant wait to see the finished product.. I love the OD paint on XJs. I would like to do mine.. But my paint isn't falling off yet..

Today was the culmination of alot of work by myself and friends. I was tempted a few times to cut corners just to get the thing done, i'm glad i didnt. Although it didnt come out perfect i'm VERY pleased with the results considering i did it myself, learned alot and had good friends around to share it with.

Thanks MDXJ (Keith) for handling the bulk of the bodywork for me. Much appreciated bro.

Stroker (Ben) for the garage space and his invaluable help during the paint process. He's one of guys i have been able to count on since before NAXJA's 1st Chapter (NAC) was created.

EasyXJer (Dan) for coming over and helping us mask the Jeep off, was great to see you again bro.

Thanks also to the guys @ NAXJA and Jeepin for the input during this project.

Still more to do, but it's all down hill from here.

Heres a few pics.... finally.

XJpainting025.jpg

XJpainting032.jpg

XJpainting037.jpg

XJpainting041.jpg

XJpainting044.jpg

I'll update this thread as i finish painting the wheels (so tired of black rockcrawlers) bumpers, rack and other parts reinstall.

Last edited:
I like it. The AJP WW2 OD, in a semi-gloss, looks very good on your XJ. I would leave the wheels black though.

looks really good. x2 on the black wheels.

btw. I'm diggin the MJ in the back

it looks pretty damn good dude, good job!!!!

OverlandXJ, what grit paper did you use to sand before painting? I'm going to have to hand sand too. I plan on doing a woodland pattern (BDU pattern before the desert and digital patterns came out) with a rattle can. Rust-o-leum. I was going to paint everything OD first then paint my big brown patches and then the black "veins" last. I was thinking about laying out the black veins with 1/4" pinstriping tape. Do you think I have the correct color order? Someone told me I should paint the black veins first, then the brown and green last.

Your Jeep looks great. I like the black wheels too.
Take care, Hoss

That really looks good!! Congrats!

Hoss in IL said:
OverlandXJ, what grit paper did you use to sand before painting? I'm going to have to hand sand too. I plan on doing a woodland pattern (BDU pattern before the desert and digital patterns came out) with a rattle can. Rust-o-leum. I was going to paint everything OD first then paint my big brown patches and then the black "veins" last. I was thinking about laying out the black veins with 1/4" pinstriping tape. Do you think I have the correct color order? Someone told me I should paint the black veins first, then the brown and green last.

Your Jeep looks great. I like the black wheels too.
Take care, Hoss
what ever color you will have exposed most should be the base then work your way to the lesser ones, or at least that is how I was taught

Paint one and mount it up... stand back... and ponder...
Nice job... :thumbup:

I've been mulling the desert drab over... tan & black...

Curt

Keep the black wheels, just go matte or flat.

Back