• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Olive Drab

Hm. Is there a listing of vendors on the site? I may have to try to find someone out this way... I could probably use that stuff to touch up ammo cans that get knackered about as well - I've been looking for a good match!

I was going to rattle-can it tho - no spray gear. Fortunately, I do fairly well with rattle-cans, and I did do paint prep at a body shop for a while (between jobs - about six months while I looked for something a bit more engaging...)

I've dealt with Hazmat fees tho - that's why I try to buy powder at gun shows, rather than shipping out kegs...

Heres the Texas distributor for Gillespie Coatings.

http://rapcoparts.com/

GCI's paints are a full milspec paint that is harder than others such as Aervo, Rustoleum etc. For ammo cans i'm not sure i'd require GCI when Rustoleum would probably do.

Then again, you could always call George (215-269-5014) at AJP and order up a can of aerosol to see how you like it. Many customers do just that. George is a good dude and will take the time to hear ya out.

I dont know if Rapco sends out gallons of GCI and has them done in Aerosol like AJP does.

Megawatt said:
This is the best one I could find. I don't have many pictures of it yet.
Cimg4075.jpg

-Jeremy

I like the way you have the Gerry tilted back. Does the can hit the body when swung open 180*? If you think of it, could you give me the distance from outside edge of taillight to gerry centerline?

Oh, and thats a trailready bumper right? Mistook it for an ARB at first glance.

John B said:
Heres the Texas distributor for Gillespie Coatings.

http://rapcoparts.com/

GCI's paints are a full milspec paint that is harder than others such as Aervo, Rustoleum etc. For ammo cans i'm not sure i'd require GCI when Rustoleum would probably do.

Then again, you could always call George (215-269-5014) at AJP and order up a can of aerosol to see how you like it. Many customers do just that. George is a good dude and will take the time to hear ya out.

I dont know if Rapco sends out gallons of GCI and has them done in Aerosol like AJP does.

Could you do a whole jeep with aersol cans? Or would it not look good.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:

-Alex

I've done some major projects with aerosol cans - which is why I'm not afraid to do it again. It can come out well...

Watchwords? Consistency of technique. Try to get cans from the same batch. Preparation, preparation, preparation!

It's a lot easier to get a good job from spray-bombs if you don't try to do coats all at once as well. It's actually pretty easy to lay a coat on too thick (out of paranoia) using spray cans, so watch out! But, if you're careful, you can get a good job done.

Oh - and flat colours are far easier...

Ba-Riedo said:

-Alex

Certainly you could, lots of guys have. Trick is multiple coats and avoid runs.

Heres a YJ fender i did for a bud with Mopar touchup aerosol. Came out good if i do say so myself. Some wet sanding and it would have been better.

Jeep006.jpg

John B said:

Heres a YJ fender i did for a bud with Mopar touchup aerosol. Came out good if i do say so myself. Some wet sanding and it would have been better.

Looks good - and, like you said, a little wet sanding to smooth it out would have helped. A little cleaning between coats (light with wet 320) and a finish sand (probably wet 400 grit) would have come out nice. But, with the light colour and the gloss lustre, it came out well.

John B said:

Huh I didnt know that they sold touch up paint in aersol cans. I should look into that. Thanks!

-Alex

John B said:
I like the way you have the Gerry tilted back. Does the can hit the body when swung open 180*? If you think of it, could you give me the distance from outside edge of taillight to gerry centerline?

Oh, and thats a trailready bumper right? Mistook it for an ARB at first glance.

The rack the can sits in does make contact with the quarter guard when swung all the way open. I've been meaning to put a rubber snubber on there to prevent damage. The distance from the centerline of the can to the outside edge of the quarter panel is 10.5". And to answer your bumper questions, I built them.

-Jeremy

Very nice work!

I have quite a few of the YJ tailgate rubber snubbers (between tire and tailgate), PM your addy and i'll send ya one that would work well... just run a self tapper through the center to swingaway.

John B said:
I have quite a few of the YJ tailgate rubber snubbers (between tire and tailgate), PM your addy and i'll send ya one that would work well... just run a self tapper through the center to swingaway.

Thanks, but I've got a couple kicking around here too. It's easy to overlook the simple detail jobs sometimes. I should just take 5 minutes and get it done!

I've been thinking about going with a desert tan on mine, being in the desert and all. Might help it stay cooler inside. Its a little ways off yet as I've got to take care of other stuff first (getting into a house, finishing the rest of the Jeep...). I really like the OD tho...

The weather isnt helping me here. Rain the last few weekends and i work second shift which doesnt help.

The last few weekends i did the rearmain/oilpan gasket to find out i had a bad valve cover gasket which is now done.

This weekend i strip my front axle internals for another housing i had beefed up a bit. Hopefully i'll install the R&P next weekend, then swap the axle under my rig.

This weekend will also hopefully see the cruise control swap completed into my rig, i'm just swapping colums vs installing the stalk into my column.

Harbor Freight has a cheap gravity feed HVLP gun i'm going to pick up and spray with. I figure April will be better suited temps to spray.

Seems like there is never enough time.

OD-XJ said:
This is the best one I could find. I don't have many pictures of it yet.
Cimg4075.jpg

-Jeremy
I like the way you did your cage/roof rack. That's kinda what I've been looking at doing when my XJ finally progresses to the cage stage. :D

I cut a set of aluminum 1/4 guards to cover some damage on the pass side rear 1/4 vs doing all the bodywork that would have been required. This should protect the upper 1/4's in the future.

I have an appt to shoot it in 3 weeks.... finally.

Now to get my front axle swapped in.

14guards002.jpg

14guards001.jpg

I really like that color green. Looking forward to seeing how your rig looks painted.

Back