• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Programming for boost questions

What would I do to keep the blow off valve from staying open at idle? It's an eBay one. It was hooked to a vacuum port on the intake after the throttle body.

The BOV is supposed to be open at idle/closed throttle to reduce compressor surge. When you open the throttle boost pressure closes it.

It won't introduce non filtered air to the motor cause the blower is pumping filtered air out of the BOV. I have a procharger on a mustang with a MAF and my BOV is vented straight to the atmosphere. At idle 95% of the air the blower moves blows out the BOV. Nothing is going in it when all that air is flowing out of it.

What is the cost of the AEM setup complete for this application? I am wondering if there would be much of a market for a megasquirt setup for these...Me personally i would leave the stock ecu in place to run the gauges and run a MS setup to run the engine. If you use a distributer/hall sender the ecu is only $250 fully assembled, so it would be pretty cheap, even more so to build your own ecu.

The ms is capable of running as a piggy back setup as well, but I am having trouble figuring out why people piggy back when they can just run full control? I would think having new wiring for the fuel/ignition system would be more advantageous than plugging in a piggyback setup? I know AEM makes awesome products, so their system is probably very good for what you are looking at, I'm just looking for a cheaper way myself.

Good luck getting the gauges to work correctly with any significant sensor unplugged on a 97+.

As for why? I can think of a few reasons. Price is probably the most significant. No extra wiring, no new gauges, no new sensors, etc. There is also the learning curve of hooking up and setting up a program from scratch for the controller. There will also be significant down time while you work on and setup the controller. Then there is the legality of it. If you live in a state that hook to the OBD II port for emission checks you are screwed there.

The AEM FIC can be found for around $325. I'd also reccomend the patch harness if you go this route (under $100).

Have you ever setup a MS system? It's a little more involved than what some people think, especially for a OBD2 vehicles which have with can bus, and complex emissions control systems.

Don't get me wrong though. Stand Alones are the most capable form of engine management Period. They simply require A LOT of work, especially on an application that doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support.

IMO, it's nice having the factory ECU maintain control of the stock functions, and simply manipulate the few that are needed for forced induction through a piggy back.

I have over 2,000 miles on my Boosted 4.0 with the AEM and have nothing but good things to say about it. :)

Ill be sticking with the AEM for reasons stated above.

It would be nice to unplug the AEM comp and run N/A incase something in the SC setup or AEM comp went wrong. Not sure you can do that on a stand alone system.

I'd consider a MS or something along those lines if it was not an OBD2 vehicle.

Back