• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-runner type suspension stuff

FordGuy said:
I just finished building my Semi Jeep Speed/Trail Rig and decided to use the Currie Anti-Rock sway bar, Hopefully wont have that problem??

I haven't heard anyone having problems with the Anti-Rock.......

So, how is your rig set up relative to pre-runnning?

Just a couple of update pics. I got the front hydraulic bumpstops and limit straps finished. I didn't really take any in progress pics of the bumpstop install, as it was a real pain and I wasn't in the mood for picture taking in the moment. He,he!

Anyway.....

Oh, and fiberglass fenders too. They are the Hanneman 6" bulge style and they require ALOT of trimming and patience to install.

Looks like I added in the fenders with windows paint!

Looks good/ :)

Are you using any frame stiffeners or trussing the front axle in the future?

The axles are already trussed. If by frame stiffeners you mean the kind that run down the frame rail between the front and rear suspension mounting points then right at the moment no....My rocksliders were set up that way but I removed them and haven't decided if they're going back on. If not, then I'll fab up some frame stiffeners to replace them.

I couldn't see the truss, it looks good. I meant those frame stiffeners and the ones that run frome the LCA to the front bumper.

I know I should probably plate the forward part of the frame but I tell myself that I'm not going to be racing, and this stupid snowball just keeps getting bigger and if I don't stop adding stuff before it's done, I'll never get to drive it ever again! I'm sure I'll end up doing it down the road. We'll see just how hard I end up pushing it.

I have a big snowball myself I need to finish. It will be fully plated.

BTW are those 5.5" RE coils? How are they without any swaybars?

TNT said:
BTW are those 5.5" RE coils? How are they without any swaybars?

Yeah, they're the RE 5.5" coils. I ran the same coils before but with one coil cut off and it wasn't bad. But I finally got to take it out into the desert this last weekend a little bit and I'm thinking I might end up needing a sway bar. I'd like to run the Antirock but I'm not sure it will work with my limit strap mounts on the frame. I'll decide after it's done and I get to drive it more.

I'm thinking I want a stiffer coil like a Skyjacker or Deavers. I'm not a big fan of swaybars. An Antirock might work good for me but so should stiffer springs also IMO. Cheaper too.

I'm buying new springs in about a week or so. Still trying to decide which ones....

I would have to agree that stiffer springs and no swaybar would be better, and yes, that antirock is pricey!!!!!!!

I needed a sway bar with the 5.5" RE coils. When I did the Skyjacker coils with one coil cut off there's no need for a sway bar, I really like the coils I'm running now.

I know what you mean about wanting to get it running, but you will want to do some frame reinforcing as soon as you can. Many of us have learned the hard way, put off the stiffening and it's much harder do do later after things start to crack.

Goatman said:
I needed a sway bar with the 5.5" RE coils. When I did the Skyjacker coils with one coil cut off there's no need for a sway bar, I really like the coils I'm running now.

I know what you mean about wanting to get it running, but you will want to do some frame reinforcing as soon as you can. Many of us have learned the hard way, put off the stiffening and it's much harder do do later after things start to crack.

What size lift Skyjacker coils are you running with the one coil removed and how much lift are they yeilding do you think? And now your making me feel guilty for not plating the frame! :spin1:

Uglygreenxj said:
What size lift Skyjacker coils are you running with the one coil removed and how much lift are they yeilding do you think? And now your making me feel guilty for not plating the frame! :spin1:

I believe he runs the 8" coils with 1 coil removed. My guess on lift is 6".

TNT said:
I believe he runs the 8" coils with 1 coil removed. My guess on lift is 6".

I remember reading it in another thread but couldn't remember the details. What kind of terrain are you building for and how far along is your build?

I have the Skyjacker subframe setup, the steel cut for my front frame reinforcements. I'm trussing my axles right now, cutting fenders more, changing rear springs and running boomerang shackle because of the longer main leafs. I'm welding in new rockrails to replace my rockers and replacing some of the floor. The list goes on and on. I'm ordering T&T frame stiffeners and spring this week hopefully.

My build is for mainly for ride control and handling. It will see sometime blasting down fireroads and doing about the same amount of hardcore wheeling. Mainly trail runs with friends and the trip to Moab and Tellico that I have yet to experence. Other than that I will daily drive it like I stole it for the most part. I love playing in the snow also.

My back is shot so I don't want to get to wild with it at speed, but I will for short bursts. I won't be using a swaybar since it limits the suspensions ability to flex freely and tosses me from side to side instead of absorbing impacts.

If you read my sig I'm pretty trashed already and plan on still having some fun while I still can.

I contacted BDS today and found out the spring rates for thier XJ springs.

The 6.5", 4.5", and 3" springs are all rated at 240 lbs-per inch. They are supposed to be quality springs and have a great warranty.

So now there is a choice that is slighty stiffer that the Skyjackers and way cheaper then the Deavers.

Now I just need to pick one of them....

Uglygreenxj said:

The best that I can determine I have 7.5" of lift, and the SJ coils are 8". My lower coil perches are raised on the axle 2", so that would mean the coils are providing 5.5" of lift. And, these coils are well broken in. :)

Hey, just run it, but don't wait very long to add reinforcment. The guys who add bracing up front seem to be having good luck keeping things together.

TNT said:
I contacted BDS today and found out the spring rates for thier XJ springs.

The 6.5", 4.5", and 3" springs are all rated at 240 lbs-per inch. They are supposed to be quality springs and have a great warranty.

So now there is a choice that is slighty stiffer that the Skyjackers and way cheaper then the Deavers.

Now I just need to pick one of them....

What is the spring rate of the Skyjackers?

Looks like those BDS coils could be a good choice.

Goatman said:
What is the spring rate of the Skyjackers?

Looks like those BDS coils could be a good choice.

6" are 230# and 8" are 235#

Back