• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powerstroke tuner....yeah baby!!

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Last week I had a 4" exhaust installed on my '96 F250 Powerstroke diesel, with a 3" to 4" downpipe, and it woke the truck up a little, a noticeable difference. I just got my Edge Evolution programmer today and installed it tonight on the lowest, tow safe, setting. Wow! What a difference that made! The truck really hauls ass now, and is a total kick to drive. I also got a free flowing air cleaner/intake, which I'll put on tomorrow evening. As soon as I get some guages installed so I can monitor the EGT's, I'll try the higher settings.........I can't wait. :D :D

Guages, the extreme setting, then go look for some ricers to blow off.......should be fun. :laugh:

Richard,

When did you get the Powersmoke? Those things can really fly. You have the 7.2L right? I saw a 4dr full sized bed with 38's (or thereabout) run in the 10's! You should have seen the poor RX7 he was staged against. Beat him by nearly 1/2 the track. Also should have seen the huge stream of black smoke. It was cool as hell.

Now you just need to add propane and NOS!

B

Bloose said:
Richard,

When did you get the Powersmoke? Those things can really fly. You have the 7.2L right? I saw a 4dr full sized bed with 38's (or thereabout) run in the 10's! You should have seen the poor RX7 he was staged against. Beat him by nearly 1/2 the track. Also should have seen the huge stream of black smoke. It was cool as hell.

Now you just need to add propane and NOS!

B

7.3 liter, Bob. And black smoke means there is more fuel being delivered than can be burned in the available air... just wasting money that way and contributing to the negative image that diesels have with the general (and uninformed) public.

Lawn Cher' said:
7.3 liter, Bob. And black smoke means there is more fuel being delivered than can be burned in the available air... just wasting money that way and contributing to the negative image that diesels have with the general (and uninformed) public.

7.3, 7.2 whatever. :)

Just not the new 6.0L I guess is what I was trying to say.

When you have 2 1/2 tons running in the 10's I'd say your doing something right. Maybe the guy had some more tunning left??? At the drag track it's all about going fast, not portraying a "positive image".

From what I understand Propane IS the equivalent to NOS on a diesel but you can still run both.

B

Bloose said:
7.3, 7.2 whatever. :)

Just not the new 6.0L I guess is what I was trying to say.

When you have 2 1/2 tons running in the 10's I'd say your doing something right. Maybe the guy had some more tunning left??? At the drag track it's all about going fast, not portraying a "positive image".

From what I understand Propane IS the equivalent to NOS on a diesel but you can still run both.

B

I'm not saying it was wrong, just that it could always be better. I see it all the time around where I live, hot-rodded pickups spewing smoke and noise. Maybe I'm just jealous since I haven't had the time & money to wake up my turbo-burban yet. But I'm gonna do it without the smoke.

Lawn Cher' said:
I'm not saying it was wrong, just that it could always be better. I see it all the time around where I live, hot-rodded pickups spewing smoke and noise. Maybe I'm just jealous since I haven't had the time & money to wake up my turbo-burban yet. But I'm gonna do it without the smoke.

Just wait till I add the propane and NOS to the bus!!!

B

Goatman said:
Last week I had a 4" exhaust installed on my '96 F250 Powerstroke diesel, with a 3" to 4" downpipe, and it woke the truck up a little, a noticeable difference. I just got my Edge Evolution programmer today and installed it tonight on the lowest, tow safe, setting. Wow! What a difference that made! The truck really hauls ass now, and is a total kick to drive. I also got a free flowing air cleaner/intake, which I'll put on tomorrow evening. As soon as I get some guages installed so I can monitor the EGT's, I'll try the higher settings.........I can't wait. :D :D

Guages, the extreme setting, then go look for some ricers to blow off.......should be fun. :laugh:

See now, you're getting the gauges, etc to go along with... Why didn't you just get the Juice w/ Attitude Monitor? :D Those things are hot though, no matter which model you go with. :):):)

Goatman said:

I knew weren't going to be able to resist for long.

I'll say a little prayer tonight for your E40OD.

CRASH

ECKSJAY said:
See now, you're getting the gauges, etc to go along with... Why didn't you just get the Juice w/ Attitude Monitor?

Because ya can't hardly see the #'s on the screen, especially if you're as old as Goat :wave:

I'm playin' it safe by buying the gauges first. When I picked up my truck the guy had a superchips tuner he was trying to sell me. We put it on the high performance setting and WHOA, it was like driving my 1/2T with no load.

I haven't decided what to do about exhaust yet. I may just cheap out and cut out the muffler for a while. I'm sure you're on thedieselstop.com, if not you should be.

NICE!
A guy near me pulled his EDGE out last week 2nd trans in 20,000 miles, he said he would sell it to me but I passed.

I have heard of a lot of trannys takin' a crap after not too many miles with those chips.

They say if you drive it 1/2 way normal, you wont puke the trans, but you guys know me...

My tranny wouldn't last a week. :laugh3:

Good luck and have fun, Richard.

The propane (if I understand it right) helps to lower the EGT's so it can handle more fuel, the NOS is just to give it more power.

They pour black smoke at the drags cause they're giving it all the fuel they can, and it can't burn it all. On the street sometimes the guys like to smoke out the ricers, or some smart ass foriegn car driver. :D

Learning about diesels is interesting, totally different from a gas engine. The mix, or air/fuel ratio means nothing on a diesel, it's just how much fuel you can get in there with enough air to burn it. More air won't hurt the mix, it will just cool the exhaust gas temps. A gas/air mix basically explodes giving one strong push to the piston, but diesel burns the fuel droplets from the outside, providing a longer burn and not needing any particular air/fuel mix, just so long as there's enough oxygen for it to burn completely. Fun stuff......never knew by buying a diesel truck I was going to end up with a new toy. :)

So does this mean you would not mind the extra weight of my XJ on your trailer as you tow em to the 'con this June? :wave:

Goatman said:
Learning about diesels is interesting, totally different from a gas engine. The mix, or air/fuel ratio means nothing on a diesel, it's just how much fuel you can get in there with enough air to burn it. More air won't hurt the mix, it will just cool the exhaust gas temps. A gas/air mix basically explodes giving one strong push to the piston, but diesel burns the fuel droplets from the outside, providing a longer burn and not needing any particular air/fuel mix, just so long as there's enough oxygen for it to burn completely. Fun stuff......never knew by buying a diesel truck I was going to end up with a new toy. :)

Its enlightening, isn't it? I often wonder, "Why does anyone even bother with spark ignition systems at all?"

OneTonXJ said:
Because ya can't hardly see the #'s on the screen, especially if you're as old as Goat :wave:

I'm playin' it safe by buying the gauges first. When I picked up my truck the guy had a superchips tuner he was trying to sell me. We put it on the high performance setting and WHOA, it was like driving my 1/2T with no load.

I haven't decided what to do about exhaust yet. I may just cheap out and cut out the muffler for a while. I'm sure you're on thedieselstop.com, if not you should be.

The adjustable Edge Juice w/Attitude monitor would be nice, but they don't make it for the OBS (old body style) trucks, just the Super Duty's. I really thought about whether to get a flip chip or the tuner, a hard choice. I finally figured that being able to switch chip programs on the fly was mostly just to play, and installing the tuner program was MUCH easier, plus you can read any codes. My truck has over 100k on it so it might come in handy to read codes.

I found a local muffler shop that did my exhaust, and was able to do the 3" to 4" down pipe. The only place that I found that sold a 3-4" DP for the OBS trucks is Tymar, but it would be a hassle installing it. At first I was just going to delete the cat and muffler and keep the stock 3.5", but since the main thing with the OBS trucks is the EGT's since they don't have an intercooler, I decided to give it all the help it could get with the 3-4" DP and 4" exhaust. Might as well do it right from the start.

The gauges are coming, I just couldn't resist installing the program since I got it along with my intake yesterday. I'll also see if the bigger exhaust and intake will let me tow in the middle program......if I even need it.

I think my trans has already been done, but if needed I can get it rebuilt and beefed up for about a grand. Some advantags to being in the business...... :D

Goatman said:
The adjustable Edge Juice w/Attitude monitor would be nice, but they don't make it for the OBS (old body style) trucks, just the Super Duty's. I really thought about whether to get a flip chip or the tuner, a hard choice. I finally figured that being able to switch chip programs on the fly was mostly just to play, and installing the tuner program was MUCH easier, plus you can read any codes. My truck has over 100k on it so it might come in handy to read codes.

I found a local muffler shop that did my exhaust, and was able to do the 3" to 4" down pipe. The only place that I found that sold a 3-4" DP for the OBS trucks is Tymar, but it would be a hassle installing it. At first I was just going to delete the cat and muffler and keep the stock 3.5", but since the main thing with the OBS trucks is the EGT's since they don't have an intercooler, I decided to give it all the help it could get with the 3-4" DP and 4" exhaust. Might as well do it right from the start.

The gauges are coming, I just couldn't resist installing the program since I got it along with my intake yesterday. I'll also see if the bigger exhaust and intake will let me tow in the middle program......if I even need it.

I think my trans has already been done, but if needed I can get it rebuilt and beefed up for about a grand. Some advantags to being in the business...... :D

I just did a 3" DP and 4" exhaust in an OBS for a friend, and let me tell you, it's HUGE PITA.

Makes my ROBS (really old body style) seem like it has yards of room between the turbo and the firewall......

CRASH

P.S. All you computer-controlled diesel drivers make me want to puke. I have only one way to control fuel - my right foot. My computer is my very own biologically-based brain. Oh well, it gets the job done!

CRASH said:
All you computer-controlled diesel drivers make me want to puke. I have only one way to control fuel - my right foot. My computer is my very own biologically-based brain. Oh well, it gets the job done!

I hear ya, brother. My 5.9 liters of furry is so simple it's stupid.

Speaking of biologically-based...... I'm running my second tank of Bio right now. The first was B30, but my nuts finally dropped and I stepped it up to B100. How much is Diesel running in Cali right now? My last batch cost $0.42/gal. :)

-Jon

$%*# You!

$2.61 a gallon.

Is the Appleseed up and running?

Gary E and I have been in discussions. He's got a sweet source of used ATF that he is thinking of filtering and warming to get it to burn. I think it's doable if you run it in a seperate tank with a good heat source. Run the $$$$ stuff to get going and then switch to the waste oil once everythings all warmed up.

I need to build my shed and get a couple of 200 gallon tanks. Small batches suck.

CRASH

Kaczman said:
I hear ya, brother. My 5.9 liters of furry is so simple it's stupid.

Speaking of biologically-based...... I'm running my second tank of Bio right now. The first was B30, but my nuts finally dropped and I stepped it up to B100. How much is Diesel running in Cali right now? My last batch cost $0.42/gal. :)

-Jon

Back