• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possibly moving to SC

All of my ex's family lives in Greenville/Travelers Rest. I liked the area for the time I spent down there.

Greenville is like my home town of Roanoke VA just without the mountains. About the same size

Mind you, I'm a red head.....

I know the feeling---- I used to have red hair, but after 66 years; it's mostly gone and turned white.
Bring your sunscreen and broad hat. I know a great skin doctor in Charlotte, and I use Rodan&Fields skin products. They work.:roflmao:
I came from Chicago area 20 years ago and never regretted it. Come take a peek in both states.....

The wifes family lives in Travelers Rest. Its nice, but I'm more for the country-esque settings of some smaller towns just outside the Greenville area

"Jeep you own, off-road you must"

I'm not so much scared of the heat as much as the insects, snakes and other things that can kill or bite me and cause damage. I hunt and fish. I have been spoiled with being able to jump into a river and not worry about a thing.

If you like to hunt and fish there isnt anything CRAZY you need to worry about. The Carolinas have multiple military bases on which I spent many days pounding around the middle of nowhere sleeping on the dirt 🙂

"Jeep you own, off-road you must"

I'm not so much scared of the heat as much as the insects, snakes and other things that can kill or bite me and cause damage. I hunt and fish. I have been spoiled with being able to jump into a river and not worry about a thing.

I don't know much about the coastal regions of NC/SC but the western side of the states probably are similar to VA.

You might encounter the occasional timber rattler. They are not aggressive and will let you know you are near them most of the time. I give them a pass. I have never killed a rattlesnake. A bite from a rattler can kill you!

You might encounter copperheads. They can be aggressive little ****s and I dispatch them when/where I can legally with some .38spcl snake shot from my LCR, or a shovel. I have had copperheads come after me so I just shoot the damn things. The copperhead bite will make you not feel very good but most likely won't kill you.

You might encounter a black bear and unless they are a female with a cub, they will just run. Coyotes will not attack a healthy human unless they are rabid.

Not much to worry about insect wise except the deer tick and limes disease. Just spray down with deet and no worries.

Not sure if there are cottonmouth in the coastal regions of NC/SC or not

I haven't come across timber rattlers here personally in NC but I have seen lots of copper heads and cottonmouth. Cottonmouth are actually most prevalent at the coast, even on the outer banks to add to what was said earlier.

All in all, you gotta expect reptiles and insects where there's a water source and humidity. Kinda comes with the territory but I won't say that I'm not dog tired of the humidity. Born and raised in NC and I swear I can't get used to it. If it weren't for the fact that I love four distinct seasons, I'd be somewhere where there's more snow. I love winter, but maybe I don't know what a true winter is like because my experience is limited to a max of 8-12" per year here...

Also, there's tons of people from Ohio here. Basically they get on 77 and go south and Charlotte is the first metropolis they come 7 hours later. Not a problem, I like Ohioans. Just an interesting observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't come across timber rattlers here personally in NC but I have seen lots of copper heads and cottonmouth. Cottonmouth are actually most prevalent at the coast, even on the outer banks to add to what was said earlier.

All in all, you gotta expect reptiles and insects where there's a water source and humidity. Kinda comes with the territory but I won't say that I'm not dog tired of the humidity. Born and raised in NC and I swear I can't get used to it. If it weren't for the fact that I love four distinct seasons, I'd be somewhere where there's more snow. I love winter, but maybe I don't know what a true winter is like because my experience is limited to a max of 8-12" per year here...

Also, there's tons of people from Ohio here. Basically they get on 77 and go south and Charlotte is the first metropolis they come 7 hours later. Not a problem, I like Ohioans. Just an interesting observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roanoke is like that with people coming down from upstate New York and mid state PA. They hit I-81 and drive to Roanoke.

Upstate New Yorkers and mid state PA are good folks, not like the city people. Mostly just yankee rednecks!

We have 4 seasons in the mountains of VA, although the fall and spring seasons are short, just a few weeks of each. We get on average of 32" of snow each year in Roanoke and the outlying Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains get closer to 40". I've been told thats more snow than some of the cities in CO get.

Back