• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possibly moving to SC

JillyMarie

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
So I'm seriously thinking about moving from Oregon to SC. I have no clue what to look for with housing, elementary schools, and colleges. Job info and cost of living would be nice as well. Any help would be great.

Charleston is nice close to the shore - inland not so much but you could find an industrial job more than likely. I visited Greenville a year ago and fell in love with it. No one ever talks about Greenville but the town is incredible. A river runs right smack through the middle of downtown and there are parks all over.

Oh, and gas is stupid cheap in SC. I'm in Charlotte NC and people drive south 30 miles to fill up. I think it's stupid because you're burning that savings in time and literally in gas but whatever.

Come on down, we'd love to have ya in the south!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
So I'm seriously thinking about moving from Oregon to SC.

Any reason just SC?

The humidity in SC around the coast can chase some people out quickly. Oregon right now is like mid 70s? Charleston for example would be pushing 90 heat and humid daily in the summer. Living near the coast is going to be stupid expensive and crowded.

Why not take a vacation in SC and check it out for yourself if you're so serious?

Also not much on the off road trails dept. either :hang:

Jilly,
My 2 cents--
Ive been to Portland, Willamette and Gorge. Our closest comparables would be:Gorge- Lake Lure, NC-southern Appalachia. This is area where movie Last of Mohicans was filmed. NC/SC coasts are beautiful in own right; but temperature and humidity is 20% higher. Spartanburg/Greenville SC is an overlooked place.. Michelin corp office is there, along with BMW factory. You're 2 hours north of Atlanta, and 2 hours south of Asheville(quirky like Portland)(think Biltmore and beer), and Charlotte/NASCAR.
Look at Aiken. Charleston is $$$. Even Beaufort(NC and SC0 are nice, but humid. I agree with person who suggested a trip here.......oh yes- Appalachian Trail, and great offroads in southern mountains; Murphy.

Hello,
So I'm seriously thinking about moving from Oregon to SC. I have no clue what to look for with housing, elementary schools, and colleges. Job info and cost of living would be nice as well. Any help would be great.

Cost of living is reasonable if you are not in one of the bigger cities. What type of work do you do? What age for schools? Clemson is one of the better Colleges in SC. Great agriculture and Engineering programs. Housing tends to be dependent on the area. Some area's have much higher real estate than others. Aiken as suggested here has some great opportunities in it. The Savanah river plant is there. A DOE facility. Bridgestone/Firestone has a plant near there too. Greenville is beautiful and has lots of opportunities around it like mentioned. Boeing is in Charleston but it will have a higher cost of living and other issues like mentioned. Columbia has a river ruining through it too with lots of things to do in the state capitol. HTH!

DON'T DO IT!

I'd go into more detail but considering there was never a response I won't bother.

Ha, coming from a South Carolinian. I'm curious, sarcasm or seriously not liking it? I was born and raised in NC and love it. I'm sure I'll spread my wings but people flock to the mid-Atlantic for a reason. What don't you like about it (genuinely interested)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, coming from a South Carolinian. I'm curious, sarcasm or seriously not liking it? I was born and raised in NC and love it. I'm sure I'll spread my wings but people flock to the mid-Atlantic for a reason. What don't you like about it (genuinely interested)?

I was also born and raised here. (South Carolina, Greenville area)

It's boring.

I like it but I'm tired of it. I'm 30 years old and have never lived anywhere but here. Just seems like there's so many better places to go live for various reasons.

If someone is in to wheeling then they sure don't need to move here.

By 30 I'd lived in Iowa (4 different towns), Illinois, Minnesota, Arizona, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Tennessee.

Nope. One at 32, but I've been in Tennessee since I was 25 - so all those other states were growing up and during college and entering the workforce.

Nope. One at 32, but I've been in Tennessee since I was 25 - so all those other states were growing up and during college and entering the workforce.

I went to tech school 12 miles from my parents house, worked local jobs and still am. Married at 25 and have 3 kids.

Relocation may come after the next 18 years.

I mean, I'm happy with where I live. I've just always been here so it's nothing special to me. I like wheeling and it's frustrating that I have to drive 5 hours to get to anything worth bringing out the big Jeep.

There's nice things to do all around here but it's no metropolis.

Well since we are weighing in on where all we lived: Alaska (born), Wisconsin, Virginia, Ohio, California (Ontario, Turlock, and Hughson), and Tennessee all in 21 years. Boom..........mic drop.

I was also born and raised here. (South Carolina, Greenville area)

It's boring.

I like it but I'm tired of it. I'm 30 years old and have never lived anywhere but here. Just seems like there's so many better places to go live for various reasons.

If someone is in to wheeling then they sure don't need to move here.

I think I understand how you feel although I do not have that experience. I was born on an island in the Caribbean, lived on 4 others and visited all the others i.e. All from Puerto Rico to Trinidad. I moved to the US in '94, lived in 6 states and visited 30 others. The US is a large and beautiful country. Get out and enjoy it. Do not burn any bridges behind you. Sometimes in life one have to do A u- turn. Do that too if you have to.

At this moment I am fixated on the western states. I am not sure if and when it will happen but if the opportunity presents itself I will take advantage of it (the furthest west I have been is Colorado ).

I think I understand how you feel although I do not have that experience. I was born on an island in the Caribbean, lived on 4 others and visited all the others i.e. All from Puerto Rico to Trinidad. I moved to the US in '94, lived in 6 states and visited 30 others. The US is a large and beautiful country. Get out and enjoy it. Do not burn any bridges behind you. Sometimes in life one have to do A u- turn. Do that too if you have to.

At this moment I am fixated on the western states. I am not sure if and when it will happen but if the opportunity presents itself I will take advantage of it (the furthest west I have been is Colorado ).

Funny that you mention it. I'm leaving for Colorado 6 days from today.

And I've been to a few Caribbean islands.

Ive only lived in SC for two years and it is a huge positive change from Fayetteville, NC. The little town I live in is cheap, I make decent money, and general "cost of living" is low. I cant complain about stuff to do either. This area is a great hub being between Charlotte NC and Greenville SC.

"You didn't make it up that hill... Hit it again, cause we aren't leaving till you get it done."

I was born here, Aiken and love it. I would like to "retire" back home some day. I lived in Florida for a while, hated it. I even hate to visit it. I lived in Chattanooga, TN while I was in school there. Was not a fan while I was there but would love to live there now. I spent summers as a kin in Newark, NJ. Dad ran a warehouse during the summer and moved the whole family up there every summer. I lived in Louisville, KY during the summer teaching Dyslexic kids while I was in college. I liked it there too. I've visited the west coast. California and Oregon and Washington. I would never want to live out there. SC is my home and I love it. I love wheeling but I don't mind driving 5 - 8 hours for a good long weekend wheeling trip. I just wish I had more money to do it right now. :conceited

I have family near Ridgeway, SC. Mind you, I'm a red head and the heat does make me want to die. I have lived in Oregon and California. Just looking for a change.

Back