• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Police shooting. Good shoot or Bad shoot?

After watching both videos, was the officer's shooting justified?

• Total voters
x2elite said:
So everytime an officer acts in the line of duty, he should have to be a defendant in court? Even when he is obviously acting as any other "reasonable" person would act in that exact same situation.

No

so we can get this much straight. We all "basically" agree that the shots fired as seen in these tapes "seem" to be justifiable. (as shown by the poll.) However we all totally disagree on the wording used, and in all actuality we write back and forth to hear each others opinions? Would that be near enough to agree upon? As for defending the "crook" or defendant (words), I believe everyone accused of a crime deserves to have a hearing, I "FEEL" that if someone is guilty and you know it, you should not defend that person, for your own "FEELINGS" (sake). Thank you guys for putting up with me, and I hope we all do gain a bit from our banter. I am still taken aback by the ability we all have to communicate with so many, from so far at our leisure. As for 50% of cops being "good guys" for real. I figure it's just like everywhere else, you have maybe 10 to 20% that mess it up for everyone, look at the trails, how many people trash them to get us all a bad image.

Yeah I heard about this when it happened..... but it is no way related to the discussion at hand.

x2elite said:
Yeah I heard about this when it happened..... but it is no way related to the discussion at hand. I've declared myself the self appointed discussion monitor
Duh, the heading said Police shooting, good shoot or bad shoot? Or is my dyslexia kicking in again and it said toohs dab ro toohs doog gnitoohs ecilop?
How do you say obnoxious twit bassackwards?

Last edited:
ECKSJAY said:
It's not Hollywood. :) Empty magazine whilst checking to see if the threat is neutralized.

Is there something wrong with one-handed firing? I didn't get the memo.

Hell no, one hand is fine. Afterall it worked well for the A-Team, and we KNOW those guys were real.

I love Hannibal Smith.

Good to see the "plan" came together.

tbburg said:
OK, awesome prank. Start delivering 15 kilos of the illegal drug of your choice to every politician in the country, sit back and watch the fireworks. Let the DEA do the dirty work. Revolution by proxy.
I thought it was ironic they shot the dogs, I doubt it was their stash.
I've done some animal control, pepper spray works on dogs about 20 times better than people and it works well on people.
Shooting the dogs was dumb and unnecessary.
I always have to give it the mirror test. i wonder what the cops would say if you busted in their front door and shot their dogs?
I guess they hire these guys for there aggressiveness not there IQ.

Shooting the dogs makes sense if you believe the guy is a drug dealer. People have been known to keep guard dogs...

8Mud said:
I thought it was ironic they shot the dogs, I doubt it was their stash.
I've done some animal control, pepper spray works on dogs about 20 times better than people and it works well on people.
Shooting the dogs was dumb and unnecessary.
I always have to give it the mirror test. i wonder what the cops would say if you busted in their front door and shot their dogs?
I guess they hire these guys for there aggressiveness not there IQ.

Your ignorance shines brightly. Controlling animals, and controlling suspects are two very different missions. I guess you have never busted through a door cocked and locked not knowing who or what was on the other side. The last thing on your mind is saving a dog; your looking for weapons in the hands of suspects. If a dog charges at you (or even looks like he might), you don't have time to get your pepper spray out and hope it works, you simply shoot the dog, and continue to cover any suspects that may be armed, and or continue to move through the house searching for any armed men. And if you did attempt to pepper spray a dog, you would compromise the safety of the guy next to you who is relying on you to cover your field of fire with your firearm (not a bottle of pepper spray).

Trail-Axe said:
Your ignorance shines brightly. Controlling animals, and controlling suspects are two very different missions. I guess you have never busted through a door cocked and locked not knowing who or what was on the other side. The last thing on your mind is saving a dog; your looking for weapons in the hands of suspects. If a dog charges at you (or even looks like he might), you don't have time to get your pepper spray out and hope it works, you simply shoot the dog, and continue to cover any suspects that may be armed, and or continue to move through the house searching for any armed men. And if you did attempt to pepper spray a dog, you would compromise the safety of the guy next to you who is relying on you to cover your field of fire with your firearm (not a bottle of pepper spray).
Only as a last resort.
No I wait until he is walking out of his front door in the morning snatch him up and have the cuffs on him before he can say what the truck. Or wait until he is sitting in his car, bump him from behind and snatch him when he gets out to look at the damage. Rolling road block works well. Or follow him into the mens room at his favorite watering hole. The last thing I want to do is bust in his front door into who knows what. If he has two brain cells to rub together and he is so inclined, his turf is the last place I want to provoke a confrontation. I pick the time and place.
People get locked in a mind set. Bust down the front door and bum rush the suspect on his turf, really doesn't sound like a tactical winner to me.
My own ignorance overwhelms me on occasion.
The Mayors wife loved those dogs like children, I doubt she will ever again be an advocate for the Police. I have no doubt the law suit will net more than what the pot was worth.
Last thought, if it's an attack dog, pepper spray may be more effective than shooting it. Dogs are tough, I've seen them run 50-60 yards with a rifle round through there chest. Or get back up and walk off after a head shot. You want to call BS, be my guest.

Last edited:
8Mud said:
Only as a last resort.
No I wait until he is walking out of his front door in the morning snatch him up and have the cuffs on him before he can say what the truck. Or wait until he is sitting in his car, bump him from behind and snatch him when he gets out to look at the damage. Rolling road block works well. Or follow him into the mens room at his favorite watering hole. The last thing I want to do is bust in his front door into who knows what. If he has two brain cells to rub together and he is so inclined, his turf is the last place I want to provoke a confrontation. I pick the time and place.
People get locked in a mind set. Bust down the front door and bum rush the suspect on his turf, really doesn't sound like a tactical winner to me.
My own ignorance overwhelms me on occasion.

Funny, that makes perfect sense.........then again, it is after 1am again..........;)

8Mud said:
Only as a last resort.

No I wait until he is walking out of his front door in the morning snatch him up and have the cuffs on him before he can say what the truck. Or wait until he is sitting in his car, bump him from behind and snatch him when he gets out to look at the damage. Rolling road block works well. Or follow him into the men's room at his favorite watering hole. The last thing I want to do is bust in his front door into who knows what. If he has two brain cells to rub together and he is so inclined, his turf is the last place I want to provoke a confrontation. I pick the time and place.
People get locked in a mind set. Bust down the front door and bum rush the suspect on his turf, really doesn't sound like a tactical winner to me. My own ignorance overwhelms me on occasion. Sure does, and that is why you are not a tactical officer.
The Mayors wife loved those dogs like children, I doubt she will ever again be an advocate for the Police. (I doubt those who buy and sell drugs have much respect for authority to begin with) I have no doubt the law suit will net more than what the pot was worth.

If it was an arrest warrant, then fine, arrest the guy, but you don't do that on his front porch, his associates inside then have the opportunity to barricade themselves and set up for you, or just shoot you from behind a wall or window. This was a search warrant to locate drugs and other contraband at his residence. You don't get much from the guy making an unlawful arrest away from his home, when your warrant says to search his home.

When entering a persons home, the element of surprise usually works in your favor. Evidence preservation is vital, as time spent playing with the dogs may give the suspects time to take foot-bale out the back, dispose of any contraband, and or set up for you with his weapon.

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe a half bail of pot is worth anybody dieing over, man or beast?

Last edited:
Did you mean tactical Officer or Testicle Officer?

I subscribe to the Hubertus philosophy. Avoid unnecessary cruelty, injury or death, man or animal.

Last edited:
8Mud said:
Do you honestly believe a half bail of pot is worth anybody dieing over, man or beast?
I like how you look just at what the article says. The article, written after the fact, knew there was nothing else there. The police going in have no idea what he has if they truly suspected it to be a drug dealer bust.

The original topic here: The people commenting said he only had a cell phone and you latched onto that saying that all he had was a cell phone, police shouldn't have shot him.

Like the old cliche goes, hind sight is 20/20. We can look at stuff from where we are now and say they should've done it differently, there was no threat. But unless we're the ones putting our lives on the line, we can't understand what goes into that decision. I know I'm going to be more likely to shoot a suspect rather than tackle him - after he's had a chance to squeeze off a few shots at me - and then see what kind of weapons he does or doesn;t have on him.

8Mud said:

I believe that when a man is serving a search warrent, his life is worth protecting. If those who buy and sell drugs take it to the next level and take up their arms to protect their dope, then it becomes their choice to die; if their dogs get in the way, too sad too bad.

8Mud said:
Did you mean tactical Officer or Testicle Officer?

I subscribe to the Hubertus philosophy. Avoid unnecessary cruelty, injury or death, man or animal.

The word tactical is spelled correctly. I suppose if one has no testicles, then they may have contempt for those brave men who do. Getting kids hooked on dope, which has caused injury and death, is unnecessary cruelty. If defending the dope dealing sack-less scum of the world is within your ideals of philosophy, then what does that make you?

Back