• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Police shooting. Good shoot or Bad shoot?

After watching both videos, was the officer's shooting justified?

• Total voters

Trail-Axe

NAXJA Forum User
Here are the videos that Tommyr (from another thread) was referring to. In this first video it appears that the police shoot a man in the back for no apparent reason. How many of us would have crucified this cop for shooting an unarmed man in the back?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMr-fPNVqks

Here is another video of the same incident, only from another officer's patrol vehicle. In this video, we see that the officer shooting is now defending his partner and himself, of what he (at that time) believed was an armed suspect pointing a weapon at an officer. Notice the officer duck as if he was going to be shot.

I don’t know about you all, but I believe this officer’s use of deadly force was appropriate, considering what was going through his mind at that time. "Pursuit of suspect, suspect resisting arrest (yes walking away is resisting arrest), partner ducking as if he saw a gun pointed at him after suspect hands were at his front waist band, ETC." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt4XijzNzQg&feature=related

Be sure to check out some of the comments posted to the video.

I think it was justified. You can see the LEO on the right shoot as soon as the guy turned around and his partner ducked. Also, we have no idea what led up to this high speed chase, how long it had been going on, and what the perp's reaction was when they tried to stop him before the chase.

In a situation like that, and the way cops are trained, I would have instinctivly shot as well. Not something to take chances on.

In situations like this, i usually agree with the cops decision (went through training to become one).... but i have seen some stuff that makes me really dislike cops....

the Physical motion by the suspect was in a way that if it was a gun, the officer on the left would have been in some serious trouble.

but knowing how things work, they will both be fired and sued and charged with a hate crime since the suspect was black...

JOe

Seems like a good shoot to me, heck they have to save their taser batteries for mouthy motorists. Shooting him in the back six times seems like a reasonable response for showing his arse in public and brandishing a cell phone.
I wonder what he was running from and just what his initial crime against society was?

I think the shooting was justified, but Im wondering how it took at least 6 shots to finally hit the guy.

From 10 feet away, a human profile is still pretty big. Also have to love the one handed firing from the guy on the left.

Starboard M said:
I think the shooting was justified, but Im wondering how it took at least 6 shots to finally hit the guy.

From 10 feet away, a human profile is still pretty big. Also have to love the one handed firing from the guy on the left.

It's not Hollywood. :) Empty magazine whilst checking to see if the threat is neutralized.

Is there something wrong with one-handed firing? I didn't get the memo.

Most gun fights involving cops happen within 9 yards.. and there are still a ton of misses.

Cant remember where, but cop entered a doorway, a guy with a pistol was in another doorway 3 yards away, both emptied clips and nobody was hit...
Of course they probly both ducked behind the doors and just blindly shot out of them.

Absolutely it was justified.

Let see, dumbass runs from the cops. Cops block him in a parking lot, and get out with their guns drawn, as is normal. Dumbass walks off like they're just going to magically go away, even starts to look like he's going to swing at the cop who's trying to arrest him shortly after getting out of his car, which is long before the shooting. Dumbass continues to walk off, and then makes another fast move back like he's about to start shooting at the other officer. Officer ducks thinking he's about to be shot, and his partner starts shooting to protect him, while more than likely thinking the same thing.

Not a thing wrong here. I think any normal person in the officer's situation would have done the same thing, especially based off of instinct. I know I would have.

a friend of mine was shot 3 weeks ago while on duty. he was on a foot chase and the suspect turned around and fired. he was hit in the abdomen and in the head. his vest took care of the ab shot, but the one that hit him in the head went in above his left eye and out behind his left ear. he was put into a induced coma for 3 days, and was slowly brought back out. through many, many prayers, he has been recovering very well. just monday he has began to speak again and is in rehab already. he has good movement on his left side, but only has a little bit of feeling on the right.

unfortunately, he is in indiana and i'm in colorado, so i haven't been able to visit yet. i'll be going back in october. however, i believe if he had the oppurtunity or was aware the suspect was carrying, he would have fired. you never know what the suspect is capable of, and i'd rather be on the safe side and shoot than to hesitate and be shot.

Fuel90 said:
a friend of mine was shot 3 weeks ago while on duty. he was on a foot chase and the suspect turned around and fired. he was hit in the abdomen and in the head. his vest took care of the ab shot, but the one that hit him in the head went in above his left eye and out behind his left ear. he was put into a induced coma for 3 days, and was slowly brought back out. through many, many prayers, he has been recovering very well. just Monday he has began to speak again and is in rehab already. he has good movement on his left side, but only has a little bit of feeling on the right.

Breaks my heart to hear stuff like this. Fuel90, I will pray for him as well (please send me a PM with his name).

8Mud said:
Seems like a good shoot to me, heck they have to save their taser batteries for mouthy motorists. Shooting him in the back six times seems like a reasonable response for showing his arse in public and brandishing a cell phone.
I wonder what he was running from and just what his initial crime against society was?
You are SUCH a moron. A cell phone? Did you not see him shoot? :laugh: God I hope you get educated soon.

ECKSJAY said:
It's not Hollywood. :) Empty magazine whilst checking to see if the threat is neutralized.

Is there something wrong with one-handed firing? I didn't get the memo.
Granted, I have never been in a situation that even remotely resembles that one, but I would like to think I would be able to hit him more then those officers.

The one handed firing is fine in a given situation, but from my untrained eye, two hands would have been better. More control of aim, and recoil which both officers seemed to have trouble with. From personal experience killing pieces of paper, anything bigger then a .22 is hard to hold one handed while firing.

Like you said, its not hollywood.

Nothing wrong with emptying your clip....

Its when you stop, reload, and start firing again that gets you into trouble :D

sadly, it almost looks like suicide by cop. I think those cops did the right thing, they were given no opportunity or choices from what I saw in those clips. I read a trasnscript once , an officer was asked why he fired 6 rounds at a suspect (they had a knife)
The officer's reply was "because thats all the gun holds" (S&W .38) (the suspect did not get back up or try to pick up the knife again.

ZacSquatch said:
Most gun fights involving cops happen within 9 yards.. and there are still a ton of misses.

Cant remember where, but cop entered a doorway, a guy with a pistol was in another doorway 3 yards away, both emptied clips and nobody was hit...
Of course they probly both ducked behind the doors and just blindly shot out of them.

Magazines even.......................;)

Starboard M said:
Granted, I have never been in a situation that even remotely resembles that one, but I would like to think I would be able to hit him more then those officers.

The one handed firing is fine in a given situation, but from my untrained eye, two hands would have been better. More control of aim, and recoil which both officers seemed to have trouble with. From personal experience killing pieces of paper, anything bigger then a .22 is hard to hold one handed while firing.

Like you said, its not hollywood.
Firing under stress is waaaaaay different than firing at a target. I bet a lot of these cops are good shots on the range, but when you might die adrenalin kicks in screws you up...I know in the USMC, I'd shoot mid to high sharpshooter all week when it didn't count and then come qual day I'd suck...AT that's not even that much stress.

Back