• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Personal Misting Cooler

Tom Campbell

NAXJA Forum User
First, this is where I got my inspiration,

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forum...ighlight=mister

I also posted this over there in the cherokee section.

Ok so I wanted to do this. Many of you can relate to a day of wheeling in hot weather and its hard enough to keep the Jeep cool, trying to have it closed up with air on is even harder yet. Plus I find it a pain to have to put the window down to listen to my spotter so now I can leave it down all the time and remain cool. Plus, when my jeep is in need of a little cooldown itself, I can help cool the radiator down too. (I still have to run the hose and nozzles to test this though but the theory sounds good on evaportive cooling) Anyhow, I used an overflow bottle from Advanced Auto Parts along with a generic windsheild washer pump, and some vacum fittings. I went to Home Depot and got some 3/8 hose and lots of little hose clamps. I also picked up some simple ball valves and a piece of aluminum 8' long (only needed <5' though) And finally I hit the local hardware store for some brass elbow size converters and another valve. But before I did most of that (It wasnt that easy either figuring out what I needed and where to go, there were more trips than I make it appear) During the whole conception stage and before I bought most of my parts, I searched the net and parts stores looking for a perfect nozzle. Finally I found one here. http://www.mistcooling.com/nozzleb_quot.htm
I bought the minimum amount of 10 of the M2 nozzles. Well I needed at least 5 and figured if they ever clog or I stripped a couple, I have spares.
How to mount them and run the line was not too bad once I had it in my head.
I knew the best place and easiest to service would be behind the center console. It would be very easy to also put it in the back cargo area but I didnt want to have to stop and crawl back there muddy or dig through all the other junk back there for a refill. This is what the bottle mounted looks like

From there I put the little windsheild washer pump in the console (had to use a straight universal vacum fitting here - 3/8-1/4) and wired a switch just above my cup holder for easy access right next to my mount that holds the cb or my ipod in its case. (I move the ipod when I turn on the mister for obvious reasons BTW) Then I ran the hose just up to the floor air duct going under the console and put in a universal vacum T fitting. This converts the smallish 1/4 hose to 3/8 hose. Out of the T I ran clear 3/8 tubing along the bottom of my dash (I used 1/2" ID electrical hangers that were a life saver to use existing screws on the dash) and ran it up to the pillar and in front of my passenger vent visor out to my special bracket. The other side of the T I ran about an inch of clear tubing and then put in a valve for easy acces to turn the system off for the radiator. This I did because even though I figured if I'm hot, the jeeps hot and could use it too, but I was afraid I might not have enough pressure from the pump to produce a mist with all my nozzles running.
I haven't finished the system for the radiator yet because I misplaced my hole saw adapter. Though a grommit in the fire wall and from there on I'm using rubber fuel line and brass connections due to the heat of the engine compartment.
Now back to the overhead sytem your probably wondering about. basically I took my aluminum flat stock and made a shelf through some tricky bends and drilled and cut it to fit behind the upper trim of the headliner and used the grab handle holes and screws to tie it in. (Yes the drivers side does not have a factory installed handle (and I did not take the oppurtunity to install one while here) but they do have the holes for them. I simply borrowed one form the passenger handle and screwed it in making the threads along the way. I ordered a new one from the stealership to replace the missing one. (I need to find a good cherokee stocked junkyard close by as I need quite a few things) Anyhow this would be a good time to simply locate and extra handle (from a right hand drive xj? I dunno if a back one would work) and cut two holes in the plastic and simply screw a new handle in.
Anyhow now that I had my shelf made, I laid everything out how I wanted it and procceded to modify the aluminum as I needed to secure all items too it with zip ties. I put two nozzles in. One over each front seat and then I put two valves in so I could turn off one when it was not needed/wanted and also to keep it off to keep pressure high for the ones going to the radiator. I kept the vavles off to the center in case my head ever got close in some unfortunate accident /rollover. I did not want a metal handle sticking out of my skull.
Well heres what I ended up with,

The levers in the picture are in the off position and I find it helps keep the water in the hose coming up the pillar longer. Or more clearly, after use, the water gravity drains back down the tubing. Plus two valves are good because one just for the passenger seems to make everyone a prankster if ya know what I mean

Well anyways, the system works, the hoses do not leak, and I get a really good mist

I have yet to truly test it on a hot day but even if I have to add some ice cubes from the cooler before hand, it will help some I'm sure. My previous job was machine work in a metal building with no windows or ventilation and that oven was always 20* hotter than the outside temp in the summer. A big fan and a wet banddanna helped out a lot.
The only down side to this system I see is that it takes a couple of seconds to spool up the water and until it does it drips out a little and makes your lap have a wet spot! BUT, it drys quickly. Also, making the aluminum shelf took the most time next too getting the parts together. i will also have to figure out a quick dissconect for the resevoir bottle for when i want to flip the seat. It allows the ashtray to still open but yet does not touch the hot floor.
Overall a cool unique mod that can make the girl next to you wet. Whats not to like?

To make this mod more effective, I may try a fan from jc whitney that plugs into the power outlet. the breeze should make it a lot more chilling.

If anyone happens to be at HRJA's jeepfest August 23 www.HRJA.org come on over and I'll show you in person. :D

First off, are my web shots pics showing up? they dont for me. one or two sometimes. :mad: cant get too mad at free though... :(

Ah so anywyas i was hot in traffic so i flipped the switch and i have three coments. One it worked well and was nice and refreshing but just watch your glasses if you where some as they are easy to forget about and hard to dry while driving. Second, i am going to geta fan because i tried turning the vent on and it blew the mist at me perfectly. Andfinally third, Whatever got water on t dried pretty quickly. I am kinda wondering if the mist is almost too fine! :)

I can just picture some female turning it on while driving for an evening out. Kinda like the wife of one of the TJ drivers that had managed to keep her white pants and pink top clean all day in the open.doorless tj at paragon. when exiting we went thru the railroad tunnel which is closer to a commercial car wash only wetter and a 1/2 mile long of dark and wet. She was quite a sight at the other end... and pisssssed.

Ah I can imagine:D thats funny. White pants and pink top! "Uh hunny i dont think you should wear that.... hunny? Ok your the boss...sighhh." And then "I'm not getting any jeep presents for a long time am I?":(

lol

Well even if they couldnt resist the little red button, theyd have to flip the little red valve above them first. ;)

That sounds interesting.
I was thinking about getting some misters aimed at the front of my A/C condenser to help the system cool better when I'm at crawl speed in traffic and theres not very much air passing through it.

ACE said:
That sounds interesting.
I was thinking about getting some misters aimed at the front of my A/C condenser to help the system cool better when I'm at crawl speed in traffic and theres not very much air passing through it.
Really clean the condenser before hand, and maybe coat it with WD-40.
Depending on the hardness of your local water, every evaporated drop is going to leave some minerals behind. The minerals (mostly a calcium compound) will cake-up into an insulating layer very quickly, so be sure to clean the surfaces with something to disolve the deposits.

Back