• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pennzoil Oil

Mudderoy said:
I'd love to run a synthetic, but I was told not to change the brand of oil once you started using for a long duration.

You can change your brand and back and forth from coventional oil to synthetic all day long if you really want to. It has been proven that you can do this and not effect anything.(by switching back and forth between deno and synthetic that is)

My '89 has been on Penzoil most of her life. It sounds like you guys are saying my 4.0 might be plaqued with a lot of sludge builtup. What do I use to clean/flush the internals of the engine from the Penzoil builtup?

megabyte5689 said:
I run conventional Valvoline 10W-30 in my 90 XJ has a little over 200,000 miles. Valvoline is good.

X2

I got my 98' at 132K and it has 198K on it now.
No leaks, and no issues. Plenty of oil pressure.

You can't argue with what works.

I bought the XJ with 85,xxx on it. No idea what it had in it prior to me. I switched it over to Mobil 1 when I bought it. I ran Mobil 1 in all of our vehicles, including the XJ, until I became an AMSOIL dealer. Now, everything has AMSOIL and EaFilters. I'd be happy to shoot anyone a quote if they're interested. Just shoot me a PM.

Maz said:
My '89 has been on Penzoil most of her life. It sounds like you guys are saying my 4.0 might be plaqued with a lot of sludge builtup. What do I use to clean/flush the internals of the engine from the Penzoil builtup?

BTT, anyone?

Well I've never used Pennzoil but am currently using brad penn sae-30 break-in oil(good penn. crude) and next week will switch to their 10w30. Before this, I've really liked using the M1 10w30 hi-mi.

I personally run rotella 15-40 diesel oil in my xj, has great oil psi. for a 4.0 with 166,000 miles on it. oh, and i wouldn't use pennzoil, castrol, or quaker state to oil my little cousin's wagon wheels, let alone in an engine....just my $.02...

I was raised on Pennzoil. Never had a motor go south on me. Just don't ignore your regular oil changes if you don't want tar on the inside of your motor. I don't have a particular brand I support anymore, though I do use synthetic blends and Castrol a lot.

My dad worked for pennzoil for the first 15 or so years of my life. The production company, not the motor oil marketer. There is no more pennzoil production Co. They were bought out by Devon Energy.

I repair pleasure boats for a living, and I know that it is a whole different type of oil, but the pennzoil 2-cycle outboard oil is almost always the cause of carbon related motor failures in 2-cycle engines. I once worked on an engine that had a 2"x4" square exhaust tube (18" long") that was so plugged with carbon that you couldn't fit pencil through it. It just so happens that the customer had always used pennzoil in it. I have been calling it the yellow bottle flu for a while now. I don't have any first hand experience with the auto oil, but all of the auto mechanics that I know never have anything nice to say about it.

I have a Toyota truck that pretty much had nothing but pennzoil and a few quaker state oil changes since it was new to about 100k miles. The motor was opened up at 60k (for a head gasket recall) and the dealer tech was amazed at how clean it was... I also opened it up later at about 120k and it still looked fine, nothing like those pictures in this thread. I dunno if this pennzoil problem only happens in certain motors, but it was fine in my Toyota. I don't use pennzoil in it anymore because i switched to walmart synthetic.

I have never run anything but Pennzoil for over 35 years and NEVER had a motor look like that. My 97 Ram 2400 has 154,000 on it and is still clean inside, my 92 XJ has 214,000 and is clean on the inside. The problem in the picture is due to not using the same oil, not changing oil properly and overheating the engine and cooking the oil and any oil will look like that in those conditions.

Oh, no problems in the boat either, but then it is a small block Chevy

Prior Owner used Pennzoil

DSC03088.jpg

Every motor that I have taken apart that has ran pennzoil and been abused has looked like this all the way through. I am not a fan of Pennzoil at all and as far as I'm concerned would not put it in a lawnmower. Don't get me wrong I am sure it must be a good oil to still be around, but for those of us who abuse our motors and get them hot from time to time, I would run anything but Pennzoil. I am a big fan of Valvoline and run Delo in my Diesel. I live in the desert so getting a motor hot happens often.

Castrol GTX 20/50 in my '99
since I got it at 30,xxx miles in June of 2000
183,xxx miles now
35 lbs oil pressure at idle
45 to 50 lbs at 70 mph

I wont admit to the Fram filter. LOL!!!

I run conventional Valvoline 10W-30 in my 90 XJ has a little over 200,000 miles. Valvoline is good.

I have also always run Valvoline conventional oil. I was always pleased. Like a sheep, who eventually goes with the flow, I've recently switched to Castrol Syntec. It took me a while, but we'll see how it works out in the long run.

Back