• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking brake cable for an 8" 2000 XJ w/DANA 60's

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
when I bought my cherokee there was no parking brake, but who needs one with an auto? anyways, it looks like i need one to pass MD safety inspection.

It looks like that all the part are there from the interior handle, to the junction box where it splits to both sides of the rear axle. but thats it.

The rear axle is a dana 60, looking at it I see a "C" bracket followed by what looks like a spring loaded hook. I assume that some kind of cable bolts on to the "C" bracket, then the metal wire passes through to the hook. then when I pull on the parking brake,it pulls the hook and engages the parking brake.

Lucky for me, the PO had installed brand new disks all around and has assured me that the parking brake pads are new.

so does anyone have a source for a cable. do i need to make measure the length? I would rather just pick up a part at autozone then go to a junk yard.

thanks for the help!

-Austin :spam:

sounds like you need to make a custom cable or modify a d60 cable to adapt to the xj e-brake junction/split underneath.

if the backing plate on your rear axle has the same hook or leaver that is on zj rear disks, you can modify a set of kj e brake cables. the axle end of the kj cables fit on zj rear disks with no mods but the lever end needs to have the outer sheath and stainless steel coil removed enough to mount to our xj body. there is more than enough cable to do this and still work for 8" lift with a lot left over even at full flex. i went this route with my 8.25 with zj disk brakes and 6" lift

so what should I tell the guy at autozone I need? Oh and sorry I didnt specify the brakes, the 60' is off a 1999 E-250 van, the brakes are new but same as stock. I was under the impression that all cables bolt up to the axles the same way. I could just get a stock XJ cable if that would work.

i would like to go as cheap as possible while still using a new over-the-counter part.

oh and has there already been a write up that would apply to my situation? I searched but couldn't find anything specifying the exact part to buy. Do all jeeps have the same cable back there?

anybody know what cable I need??

Take some pictures of it...no one really knows what kind of brakes you have. It's the only way your going to get help on here. Thats the problem with buying a modified vehicle you know nothing about. I thought this was a joke at first...if you have an XJ with 60's front and rear then usually you don't have to ask questions like this.

Take some pictures of it...no one really knows what kind of brakes you have. It's the only way your going to get help on here. Thats the problem with buying a modified vehicle you know nothing about. I thought this was a joke at first...if you have an XJ with 60's front and rear then usually you don't have to ask questions like this.
exactly what i was thinking... i wanna see pics of this one ton xj!

im away from home now, so I cant take pictures of the exact hookups. I wanted to know what part to order so I could get this done when I go home for thanksgiving.

I know everything about my vehicle, and I just dont get what parking brake line to run...as I usually just remove it if something goes wrong with it.

Are you just running stock xj cables with your lift?? thats all I need to know! Its a a stock 99' ford D60.

cheerokeemudpit.jpg

BYLf4gBmkKGrHgoOKjgEjlLmYUWJBKgL-gm.jpg

BYLiQCGkKGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVksBKgL-tp0Q.jpg

brakesXJ.jpg

well here is all the pics I have on my computer, none of the rear axle..

hahahahahah reminds me of one of my favorite quotes "Honda's are like tampons... every Pussy has one!"

your best bet is to look at the cable for the Ford van , and then what is left on the XJ and spend some time with a friendly parts counter gut. The Ford van one will be really long I suspect

your best bet is to look at the cable for the Ford van , and then what is left on the XJ and spend some time with a friendly parts counter gut. The Ford van one will be really long I suspect

X2... Most of us know what the parking brake end on the XJ frame looks like, but we won't be much help if you don't have a pic of what the D60 e-brake hardware looks like. Its not like there is only ONE version of D60 e-brake setup.... there are many types. By what you described, I would go to an auto parts store and pull an e-brake cable for the truck that the axle came out of, and pull one from a KJ or ZJ with discs. The van cable will be WAAY long, but if it has the same axle-end on it as the KJ/ZJ cable, then it will work.

Put up a pic of it, and I am sure you'll get a better answer. Have someone snap a pic of it and send it to you then post it up.

ok then I will post some detail pictures next saturday when I go home.

Ok real quick I was checking out the MORE site. They have an XJ cable for $123. Is this an average price? I see no need for a "Heavy Duty" parking cable! What would You think I would pay for a ford truck generic cable at the Autozone?

X3

This is going to be the only way to figure out if both ends fit. No one on this forum is going to be able to tell you "hey, go into autozone and ask for part number xxxx from a xxxx and bolt it in."

You bought a highly modified Jeep, you are going to have to get used to figuring these things out.

Back