• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Outsiders look at the chapter nominations

Me and XJumpmaster were talking at Moab that we should start the 33" mafia - if you can't do it on 33's, you shouldnt be wheeling :D all you bigger boys have lost the excitement of the challenge hehe

I do it on 31's...

JohnX convinced me to do some trails at Moab that said you should have 33's and I did ok.

So what is really that bad currently? What are the current complaints that are actually actionable?

Before, there was a crap storm because of 'too much' forum moderation and people where getting PO'd/butthurt and now there isn't enough moderation?

My view of the club is that it should be about:

• Sharing XJ/MJ technical information, troubleshooting, etc
  • Wheeling your damn XJ/MJ and not being just a forum troll
  • Making new friends with the same interests
  • Helping your friends when in need
  • Raising money to help support our wheeling interests, keeping trails open and those in dire need
  • Having fun with others
Pretty standard.

It doesnt take a single person to make a chapter successful. It takes multiple motivated members who are willing to step up and help.

just my .02 cents

x2

Well said Josh!!

The XJ modifications now have become so advanced that it is hard for a new person with a stock jeep to fit in here. If you think about it, a new guy used to get 31's and 3" of cheap spacer lift and go wheeling with us. Now its a long arm kit, lockers, Dana 60's and 35's or you don't get to do anything "fun". Actually if you don't have a tube bender or plans to buy one, you might get left behind. You need infusions of new people, but getting them is expensive and hard for them. The only people buying 31's are people who have rock buggies and are looking for a second daily driver trail rig. Maybe we need a 33 inch or smaller event. I think I can borrow some from a friend. Make it no 35's allowed ;)

KH

There's an element of truth to this, but there is still plenty of opportunity for folks on 31's and 33's. Goatfest was originally started specifically to give the smaller tire folks a chance to come out and hang out with friends in the desert and get a chance to wheel. There have been 31" and 33" trails run every event. There are plenty of trips to Big Bear and 31's and 33's are all that's needed. We still do the annual Swamp Lake trip each summer, I've done it now every year for 13 years, and it's OK on 31's. It started as a SoCal run but now no one from SoCal goes anymore. Calico also is a regular run where 31's and 33's are all that's needed.

I see plenty of opportunity for rigs that don't have the biggest tires. Just because many folks seem to always gravitate to bigger (the old keeping up with the Joneses), it hasn't taken away from any wheeling opportunity for the 31" and 33" folks, that I can see. Sure, a lot of the talk is about bigger, but that's human nature. The reality is the same wheeling opportunity is there that there always has been.

The key is the same that it's always been, find friends like yourself and go wheeling.

I'm curious how many members and past members have read the NAXJA By-Laws and actually taken them to heart?

They spell out some very specific things of what NAXJA is about and "obligations" of being a member.

Check out Article IV-Purposes

http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Improving the status of our sport through the development of better public image and association with people who are interested and active in the sport;

I believe some of our fractionation has come from publicizing our asshatery here on the forums.

One person posts up something of questionable behavior that occurs on a run and someone else feels they have to call the original poster out. And the fur flies.

Unfortunately that is the nature of an internet forum

What people don’t realize is how stupid we look to anyone and everybody that CAN and WILL look at this PUBLIC forum. Public Officials, law enforcement officers, other clubs, land administrators, those that want to close OUR public lands to off-highway vehicle use.

Lack of Respect was brought up in the original post.

Respect goes two ways.

Drunken, belligerent posts and my shit don’t stink, holier than thou posts show lack of respect to EVERYONE on the forum. Those things often spill over out on the trail or campsite or vice versa.

People want things cleaned up around here, fairness in moderation, etc.

We’re all adults. How 'bout moderating yourself?

Think about what you are posting in the forum and think how it may be appear to others, not just other members but the PUBLIC as well.

Be respectful of others and others should be respectful of you.

This club will be what you make it. SHIT IN-SHIT OUT.

Grimm said:
This club has open membership, all you do is pay your dues and boom you are a member. I would like to see some kind of probationary period for new members, during which time they can be held accountable for not fitting in with the rest of the group.

The good thing anyone can be a member, the fat kid, the nerd, the jock, the smart kid, the cool kid. The bad part, anyone can be a member, just pay your $30 and voila!

NAXJA isn’t an exclusionary club.

Grimm it goes back to respect, you have to give it to get it.

The Chapter President won’t make the members respect each other. Only the members can do that.

Goatman said:
I think leadership that communicates with everyone and stresses tolerance is what the chapter needs. Also, not allowing any particular perspective to dominate the forums, so all feel welcome. We are all different, and yet all belong. ….

…Nothing wrong with partying, nothing wrong with appreciating the peace and quiet. Nothing wrong with a cheap build, and nothing wrong with an expensive build. Nothing wrong with doing it all yourself, or all custom, and nothing wrong with paying someone to do the work or all bolt on stuff. What we need is RESPECT for all members. This isn't any of our private world, this is a club based on the fun of using our XJ's and MJ's. We all need to keep in mind that it should be fun for everyone.

This actually sums it up pretty good.

Last edited:
I think you all just hate ME!
Saying crap about the 'old guy keeping up with the Joneses'....Crap! I've only met Ben once before.
Saying things about posting drunk. I'm almost never drunk...just mildly buzzed.
And just so you turd monkeys know, I have cherokee's with 29" 32" and 39.5" tires (not to mention the spare set of 35" tires!)
Yep...its all about how you hate me.

:bawl:

Geez, Rick, I think you're the only one able to be in my tire league!! Come wheel the Bunny Trail run on 29's with me at Rockin XJ Jambo!!

Someday I aspire to getting a set of 31s or 32s, but for now (single mom of 3 teens) I just wheel the heck out of my 235/75's. So ye of oversized tires--if you want to enjoy a challenge, trade rigs with me for a day! (no, really--It's not a selfish offer on my part at all! :wave1:).

Actually, it's amazing fun when you have to think your way thru every rock on a trail. Of course, it's also amazing fun wheeling Dave Taylor's buggy thru JV and not being perturbed by tackling a waterfall that's taller than you are...

Sigh. I just want to someday have enough money to own (a) a mildly built XJ, (B) a rock buggy XJ, (c) a JeepSpeed XJ, and (d) something small, with a stickshift & 2 seats, that's fun & fast as hell. Am I asking so much???

Sigh. I just want to someday have enough money to own (a) a mildly built XJ, (B) a rock buggy XJ, (c) a JeepSpeed XJ, and (d) something small, with a stickshift & 2 seats, that's fun & fast as hell. Am I asking so much???

If you substitute the mildly built rig for a stocker, and you have a liberal interpretation of a Jeepspeed rig, I GOT ALL THOSE!

:party:

Hey, wait, have we gone off topic?

I have been on this site for about a year. I just joined as a member last month when I finally bought my XJ.

I agree that the image we project is viewed and judged by county, city and state organizations as well as Joe public.

I work in the land development industry and I will tell you that law makers see the big dollars of developers as an asset and us as a pain in the side of there "progress".
There have been several attempts at building offroad parks in the Temecula area but all have been shut down by local goverment. Mainly because they think offroaders are a bunch of drunk, high kids out the destroy there perfect world(And there parents will sue). If we are going to have any place to enjoy offroading we need to change our image. It won't matter if you have 75" egos or 20" egos...If goverments see us as a trouble... The only wheeling we will do is in other states!

I also agree that if we had more events...that offered runs to stock or near stock jeeps... we could work with local goverment and get them to be involved. Look at the Temecula Rod Run...It brings nearly 100,000 people a year to the area...That = $$$$ for the City...That is the language they understand. We have lots of local 4x4 shops that could also be involved..again it is all in how we project our image.

I hope to get to meet alot of people through this forum. I am looking forward to running trails with some fun people.
I am also on a budget..I bought my XJ looking to have fun....$2800.00 worth of parts and 20 hours of my labor and I am still not sure if I have a good enough rig to run trails with this group... I know if you need 33" tires I will never be able to because I am only going to 32" tires. But 2 days after I bought my XJ I drove from So Cal to Colorado and ran 12 trails in 5 days with a bone stock XJ! There has to be trails for mortal jeeps here?

Just an my 2 cents worth.....

I think an annual NAXJA "newbie clinic" at Gorman would be a good idea. We could use the 4x4 practice area and the mild trails to teach the newcomers about the capabilities of their rig, how to handle different situations, and even camp there to give an opportunity for some fellowship.

I know alot of people think Gorman is lame, but its a good place to do something like this.

I think an annual NAXJA "newbie clinic" at Gorman would be a good idea. We could use the 4x4 practice area and the mild trails to teach the newcomers about the capabilities of their rig, how to handle different situations, and even camp there to give an opportunity for some fellowship.

I know alot of people think Gorman is lame, but its a good place to do something like this.

Then do it!

You folks need to understand if you want something like this you can organize and set it up yourself.

You don't need to set it up as a Chapter event if you want to do something. Just take the project on and do it. No permission needed. ;)

I think I have seen more runs posted for mildly built rigs than 35"+ runs. Anyhow all one has to do is post up that they are thinking of making a run and usually there are several people who want to go. I have not seen a NAXJA sponsored run yet which didn't provide runs for less modified rigs.

This is a very good idea, and something that would not be difficult to do. I'm willing to work on it with someone. Do it on a Saturday, have some basic beginner instruction in the morning on the course that Cal4wheel helped build (plenty fun playing on it for anyone), and then run Miller Jeep Trail in the afternoon. Have a BBQ that evening. It could be a day run or a weekend run.

Worth a try if there's interest

Never been to Gorman (driven past there, never been there to wheel though). Not a complete newbie anymore, but I'm always up for learning new tricks, especially with my less-than-maximally-equipped rig. And it sounds fun. I could even tie it in with a side trip to harass my son at UCSB... he doesn't wheel, but I could stop in and say hi.

What's funny is if you Google Map "Gorman, CA", it shows the nearest SVRA area is Hungary Valley...the area just west of that is plain old Hungry Valley. I never knew Hungary was so close! I thought it was over in Europe somewhere, but it's only 2.5 hrs from San Diego!

Then do it!

You folks need to understand if you want something like this you can organize and set it up yourself.

You don't need to set it up as a Chapter event if you want to do something. Just take the project on and do it. No permission needed. ;)

It was an idea that just came to me.

Considering my specific situation right now I may not be the best to organize it, which is why I threw it out.

But if I can make it work within the window that I'm in So Cal for winter break, I'll do it.

This is a very good idea, and something that would not be difficult to do. I'm willing to work on it with someone. Do it on a Saturday, have some basic beginner instruction in the morning on the course that Cal4wheel helped build (plenty fun playing on it for anyone), and then run Miller Jeep Trail in the afternoon. Have a BBQ that evening. It could be a day run or a weekend run.

Worth a try if there's interest

Goat I'm gonna play with the idea a bit this weekend when I have some time and I'll hit you backchannel with some ideas and we'll see what we can do.

Is miller jeep trail in gorman open yet????

I'm assuming it's either back open or about to be opened. Our local club, the Bakersfield Trailblazers, has had Miller as one of our adopt-a-trails for many years, but we had dropped it recently because the Forrest Service person was very difficult to deal with and we had to jump through rediculous hoops to be able to do any work on the trail. They now have a new person as the recreation officer and she just contacted us to see if we would still have it as one of our trails. We said we would, so we'll see what happens.

miller will not likely open this year. There is a lot of logging happening on Alamo, the ranger has said that they cant open the trail till the logging operation is done.

Back