• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Outsiders look at the chapter nominations

I hope to become red letter soon, but I wonder if many are not red letter due to same situation I am in atm.. lack of funds. With the economy being the way it is sometimes we have to drop certain things etc, so that could be a reason on top of other things i guess.

I have had nothing but good experiences here on NAXJA. Everyone I have met has been awesome and love to help. I have not been here that long though so I suppose there is always internal issues like you are all mentioning. What I do when i see something that I might not agree with and want to fire back a reply is take a couple minutes and reflect if it is something uplifting to say. If not then I try not to post it. I have had a couple times where my lack of judgement came in and posted something i regretted doing and then I tried to apologize and or edit what I said...

I do know there are those that are going thru hard times and maybe the forum is a place or only place they have to vent (loosing jobs, politics, etc). These are often the posts that I think can cause the most disagreement in the chapter aside from a couple of people just wanting to randomly flame someone.

As for making a probationary period I dont know how that would work as there are a lot of non red letter people on the forums and that go wheeling. They dont have a probationary period and can still cause issue and just make a new name if they really wanted too and come back etc.

Another idea to help the President and such with such a big area maybe would be to have subgroups of So-Cal chapter that would organize runs and such on a lot smaller scale and coordinate with the President and then he to the Nationals (this might be already done dont know hehe). What I am getting at is have a a group for down the hill, a group for high desert, etc. The groups could have meetings one night a month and maybe run official trail runs monthly or something and "hang out/build nights." Again this might have been tried already etc I dont know :).

This of course would take a lot of work, but would divide it among those who want to see things move forward. It would also take all the burden off the main guys and allow more people to get excited. I often look at the board for runs and such. I havent seen any aside from some people on their own set them up (aside from major events). Would be cool to have what I mentioned in above paragraph to promote interest. The forums are a major attraction, but why not make doing stuff together more in organized fashion another major attraction for NAXJA?

Brian

Last edited:
an old hairy man I had never met before walked over and gave me a shot of jack, and boom, I felt like I was part of a family for life.

Was it Dub??? Or someone "before my time"?

I love all my Jeep friends--even those that don't like each other!! :laugh:

Camping stuff sounds great, and I'd love a chance to check out Stoddard Valley. I've been by there, but not been there.

Was it Dub??? Or someone "before my time"?

I love all my Jeep friends--even those that don't like each other!! :laugh:

Camping stuff sounds great, and I'd love a chance to check out Stoddard Valley. I've been by there, but not been there.

I would guess Lion

I was there too and it was my first event. Seems like yesterday.

I would guess Lion

Yeah, Lion would be another good candidate. Dub's hairier than Lion was, though. I think. Don't really want to know, though!

Yeah, Lion would be another good candidate. Dub's hairier than Lion was, though. I think. Don't really want to know, though!

Lion would show up everywhere back then.

I love this club. I want more red-letter folks. More club events would be awesome too, but I know how that goes. :)

X2 :thumbup:

I love this club. I want more red-letter folks. More club events would be awesome too, but I know how that goes. :)

i concur! this site is awesome! had it not been for skwerly and TerryG i would have not made it to Socalfest this year. Terry offered me a spot on his camp sit and skwerly made it fun with all his stories and beer consumption. Had a good time and met a bunch of nice people who i happen to wheel with till this day.

:patriot:

I would guess Lion

I was there too and it was my first event. Seems like yesterday.

Same event where I met Goatman, Cracker, KevinH, Andy Steiner, Bill Burge and a hundred others that I'm doing injustice by not listing.

I think most of us wheel more and do more with club members now, but we do it in small groups, and with the same people every time. I know when I plan a run, I start by text messaging the usual suspects and then go wheeling - i never even post them here anymore.

i should change that up.

My goal is to get at least a run and a m&g (if not two) while I'm home for winter break.

How would each person here define a "leader"? What I want to see in club leadership is:
The time to tend to club business and the determination to get the job done
The ability to delegate the tasks to others who can help
The wisdom to moderate fairly and consistently
The character and presence to represent our club well to the general public and other chapters
Honesty, integrity and determination.

I realize this is a tall order. There are many here who have these qualities but who lack the time to fulfill the obligations of office. Somewhere here there is someone who can do the job well, who is it?

How would each person here define a "leader"? What I want to see in club leadership is:
The time to tend to club business and the determination to get the job done
The ability to delegate the tasks to others who can help
The wisdom to moderate fairly and consistently
The character and presence to represent our club well to the general public and other chapters
Honesty, integrity and determination.

Nice list. :)

My first 'jeep event' was the SoCalXJ Jamboree in 2004. I showed up with a freshly lifted 87 xj on not very good 32" street tires, 30/35, open/3.55's. I was there 2 days before anyone even said the word 'locker' and I was never critisized for the axles I was on. Total strangers helped me setup my camp, an old hairy man I had never met before walked over and gave me a shot of jack, and boom, I felt like I was part of a family for life. The people that I met at that event are still some of the best jeep scene friends that I have, even though I rarely talk to some of them.

Those were the days. When we had a huge events and several runs for all levels. I had the same planned for this year. Guess that's no longer the case. Hope someone steps up next year.

Same event where I met Goatman, Cracker, KevinH, Andy Steiner, Bill Burge and a hundred others that I'm doing injustice by not listing.

:rolleyes:

I like your list, too, John. Unfortunately, like so many NAXJA folk, I run into a snag within the first seven words...Time? Uh, yeah... Sigh.

Sad state of the economy and the construction supply biz means I have more time to play around on NAXJA while at work than I do at home. But I'm hardly ever at home and actually awake, either.

Back