• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Other Items to Replace During 4wd Swap

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have poured over the various 4wd threads out there as I begin to aquire parts for my 4wd conversion. I have a 98 XJ Limited 2wd with the AW4 and the Chrysler 8.25. I feel pretty confident on the swap but my question is in regards to other items that I should replace while I have the drivetrain apart. So far, my list is:

Rear main seal (one drip a night, but it'll never be easier right?)
Front coil springs (oem and probably sagging)
Front and rear shocks have already been replaced
Obviously bushings and any rubber components in the front end
New shift solenoids in the AW4 with a new filter
New transmission mount
New U-joints in all driveshafts

Any other suggestions while I have it blown apart? Thank you in advance. I'm closing in on a donor 99 AW4/NP231 with linkage and both driveshafts for $500 (80K)

I would recommend an aftermarket or DIY t-case linkage.

Thank you Johnnie Walker. I've heard the OEM linkage is an odd rats nest. Is there an aftermarket option, or would I be piecing it together myself? I'm getting an NP231 with all the linkage so I at least have a starting point.

New bushing for the OEM linkage - $ 13
New input and output seals for the transmission.

The OEM linkage is fine, lack of lubrication and routine maintenance is usually the actual issue. They all need new bushings at some point.

Why new solenoids for the AW-4 ? Unless there is an existing issue, they are probably fine, and they are relativity simple to replace when under the Jeep if they ever do fail.

Good Thought Tim, I'll add that to the list. Can you get the bushing kit anywhere but the dealer? I called them last week for a filter and gasket for the AW4 and received some of the worst service I could possibly imagine. They do not know what they're talking about when it comes to our vintage XJs.....not a surprise to those of us who wrench on our Jeeps.

Anyway, my current 2wd is throwing P0743 for the OD lockup circuit. I ohm checked the solenoid at the TCM and trans side harness and it's out of spec. I'm not the kind of person who can stare at a MIL for a few months until I get my parts and have extra time, so I bought a 3 pack of replacement solenoids. I'm going to throw them in my current trans for the timebeing to keep my OCD at bay, and then I figure I'll do a new filter and gasket at a bare minimum on the new AW4.....why not yank the newish solenoids and transfer them over since they seem to have a life of about 150K.

I never use the Dealership parts department unless I know the exact Jeep part number for what I need. They seldom have any knowledge about any vehicles that are not still available new on the sales lot, or desire to search older parts list catalogs.

Morris 4x4 has bushing kits.

I replaced the solenoids today without much trouble at all. Installed a quality rubber gasket with skim layer of Permatex RTV gasket sealer and a new filter. Took it for a test drive and pushed it hard going uphill on the freeway. All gears operate normally and TC locks and unlocks at 41 mph. I ran it for probably 10 miles mixed freeway and stop and go over 30 minutes with no DTC, so I think I've got that fixed.

There was a lot of metal in the pan on the magnets so even more reason to step up my 4x4 conversion project. For the time being, all problems with the XJ are solved......We'll see what next week brings. ;)

Reviving this thread as I'll be pulling the trigger on everything and I have a few more questions.

Anytime I remove a driveshaft, I index it so it goes back in phase. How do I accomplish this when I install the new trans, transfer case and new driveshafts?

Should I replace the flex plate? What about the torque converter? I don't know if the 2wd AW4 torque converter should be swapped over or replaced? I may get one with the replacement AW4.

Back