• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima Batteries

Just replaced my dead yellow top (about 2 yrs old) with a Diehard Platinum. Got it for $135 when I turned in the Optima with purchase. Comes with a 4 year full replacement warranty and 52 months after that of prorated warranty. It's also AGM, so I shouldn't have to worry about the acid. BTW, the same battery sold by Odyssey is $320...

2004 Chevy Cavalier - Stock battery
1999 Jeep Cherokee - Optima Yellow Top
1999 Jeep Cherokee - Optima Yellow Top
2003 Ford Expedition - Optima Yellow Top
2001 Travel Trailer - Optima Blue Top

When the Chevy's battery dies, I'll buy an Optima Red Top for it.

I have an Optima Red Top in my Cadillac but the last 2 batteries I've bought were traditional Duralast Gold lead-acid batteries. I can't justify the price premium on AGM against a lead-acid that has the same CCA and a longer warranty period. If I had money to waste I would buy AGM for the extra benefits but since I don't need those advantages, and money is tight, I keep it in my pocket for now.

If you cannot fully-charge the battery at a lower amperage rate without having the battery get hot to the touch or vent, it should probably be recycled.

Recycled in this case means, scrapped.

So far I'm 0 for 1 with optima when every other battery I've ever owned regardless of how cheap it was has lasted me at least a few years. Unless I'm just a very unlucky individual when it comes to batteries, those aren't good odds for optima.

+1 for optima being overrated and overpriced.

Whichever brand you decide to go with, I would recommend getting the group 65 size of battery. It will fit in an XJ with a few minor modifications. I had to cut off the ends of my battery tray, and bend out the hold-down clamp a hair to make it work, but other than that, it fits beautifully.

The advantages of a group 65 are that it has a much larger reserve capacity and more CCAs. Basically, its just "more battery."

If you want a drop-in replacement, go with group 42. It fits perfectly with no mods, and it still has more Reserve capacity and CCAs than the stock size group 58.

These CCA and RC differences for different group sizes are generally true across all brands.

Best of luck.

Well after a lot of research I decided to go with the Die Hard Platinum, but I am having to make a new hold down bar because the stock one doesn't quite fit it.

The purchase of a company and the eventual relocation to Mexico, at the cost of American jobs all for squeezing out a few extra dollars for the share holders.

The hiring of an "e-care manager" to search out Optima threads and defend the company.. reads like Damage Control to me.

I own two Optima's, but today i'd be looking at Odyssey if i was buying.

Thank Nancy Pelosi and the commi-democrats for lost jobs. Family leave, company paid insurance, unions, minimum pay going up 2.00 per hour, why would any intelligent business want to make anything in America???????

If you don't understand this, than I feel sorry for you.

I wish to only state my personal experiences/facts with Optima Batteries.

I am 59 years old, and when I learned to drive (many years ago) I was told never to skimp on batteries, brakes or tires. I have always followed this advise.

I have owned 2 red-tops in my Jeep Cherokee XJ.

10/03 this battery lasted 4.5 years. In 2005 I was at Tellico and my alternator died, since I was submerged in mud and that killed my alternator. The red-top got me out of the woods. As the alternator was DEAD, I was running on the battery only. As it turned out, when the battery died, I had trailmates jump me. If they jumped me for 30 minutes, I could ride for 30 minutes. We did this several times, obviously. Took a long time to get out of Tellico, but at least I got out. The battery lasted 3 more years. Never even charged it after getting out of the woods.

5/08:
This battery, that I am currently running on my XJ with 350K miles, I have never had a lick of trouble with. Last night, my alternator died. I drove home, over 20 miles on the battery only. Today I got new alternator. My Jeep never hesitated to kick right over, yesterday or today, when I turned the key. Never been recharged, except by driving.

My next battery will be a red-top. Nothing else even to consider- period, period.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a good battery.

OverlandXJ, I can totally understand the sentiment some folks have over our production facility and I appreciate everyone's feedback, as I do forward these comments internally. By early-2009, all batteries came from our Monterrey facility, but there has been no increase in quality-related complaints. The batteries manufactured in Colorado were excellent, but the Monterrey facility is brand-new and highly-automated, which has resulted in even more consistency and reliability in our products.

Milford Cubicle II, I'm sorry to hear the used BlueTop with an unknown service history, that you purchased second-hand at a government auction, has not lived up to your expectations. Did you determine how old the battery was? As Veeb0rg indicated, Optima manufactures all of our batteries in our own facility and they are the only batteries made there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for any of our retail partners.

Blazair & Jeff-97XJ, I'm glad to hear you've both been pleased with your Optimas.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Milford Cubicle II, I'm sorry to hear the used BlueTop with an unknown service history, that you purchased second-hand at a government auction, has not lived up to your expectations. Did you determine how old the battery was? As Veeb0rg indicated, Optima manufactures all of our batteries in our own facility and they are the only batteries made there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for any of our retail partners.
Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Unknown service history? How exactly do optimas need to be serviced? Not to mention it was only a few months old when I bought it and the posts were pristine. It was obvious that nothing had ever been attached to the battery, which corroborated the fact that it was in a surplus auction. Nice try though jackwagon.

And good job, you just guaranteed that I'll never buy an optima product again.

Good to know you're excelling at your "eCare" position :thumbup:

Unknown service history? How exactly do optimas need to be serviced?
Service history refers to how it was used
Not to mention it was only a few months old when I bought it and the posts were pristine.
Pristine posts are the halmark of an excellent condition battery with no defects or heavy usage
It was obvious that nothing had ever been attached to the battery, which corroborated the fact that it was in a surplus auction.
Nothing in this statement corroborates anything else in this statement. Surplus means "extra", not "unused in like new condition"
Nice try though jackwagon.
I love this name, kudos for good usage

And good job, you just guaranteed that I'll never buy an optima product again.
I am sure he feels just terrible

Good to know you're excelling at your "eCare" position :thumbup:
Hey, as long as it amuses me I give him 2 thumbs up

What is inaccurate about what he said? You bought it surplus, not new. Who knows what was done in the time before you bought it. You saying the posts were clean just means that they were attached well, without scratching them up.

What would you have them do about it anyway? Do ANY batteries cary a warrenty if you are not the original buyer? I thought it was a diplomatic way of calling you an idiot.

Last edited:
Thank Nancy Pelosi and the commi-democrats for lost jobs. Family leave, company paid insurance, unions, minimum pay going up 2.00 per hour, why would any intelligent business want to make anything in America???????

X2

I would prefer that all quality things to be made in America; however, one of the best trucks that I have ever owned (2006 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel) was made in Mexico.

As for Optima, I think they are good batteries when used as intended and charged as recommended. I thank OptimaJim for answering questions.

Just my two cents-
I've had to Warranty out SEVERAL Optimas, while our in-house batteries rarely get warrantied out. Normally we are able to charge the in house battery back up, have them bring the vehicle in or pull the alternator and test it to find it being the faulty portion of the charging system.

I've had 3-4 Optima's, and they typically last 1-2 years. I thought my sports car needed a "cool" Optima. This was using trickle chargers when not in use. The parts house battery in the Buick is over 8 years old and just now getting weak.

Back