• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima Batteries

iwannadie, all of our batteries are manufactured in our own facility in Monterrey and they are the only batteries made there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for any of our retail partners and the quality of our batteries has never been better.

A quick google search shows endless reports of the plant opening in mexico and the plant in the USA(Aurora) closing back in 2008 when Johnson Controls bought them. I searched the Optima website and see no mention of being american made, I would think that should be a big selling point all over the main page or at least mentioned.

If it is true or not I certainly can't say I can just go by what I read and all I seem to find is they are made in mexico. If that is not true Optima sure needs to get out there and let people know where they are made then.

If you could point us at some official documents on the optima site showing where they are made that would be great.

I've been running a rebuilt DEKA for years now.I paid $38 for it and haven't had a problem from them and every vehicle I've owned had one.

LOL.., Monterey Ca., versus Monterey in that other place. I remember when you could buy something that said Made in USA, versus Made in U.S.A. Seems the USA product was made in Japan, although the rumor was china. Regardless, the commie chinese, and Mexican governments are in cohoots to destroy America, and turn it into amerika. We will begin to make parts, (batteries), in the country again, but as slave laborers to the nwo under the directions, or dictates, of red army generals, and mexican drug lords. This will happen due to the fact that there is a highway being built from mexico and Canada, going through our country. Our ports are being rented by commies, and there is a project to have 'special economic zones' built around certain airport hubs, like Boise, Idaho, where a 50 square mile parcel of land will have red army chinese workers in management positions for factories 'hiring' the local soon to be starving masses of Boise.., i.e., hired slaves. Maybe batteries proudly Made in Boise S.E.Z. will be the most sought after, or discussed in future Bejing Jeep Forums. I wonder if my XJ will last that long. Maybe I should put in an order for a brand new XJ: BAW Qishi S12, http://www.carnewschina.com/2011/02/01/beijing-auto-qishi-s12-listed-priced/ to be made perhaps in: http://www.latenightinthemidlands.com/profiles/blogs/china-buying-the-usa-building --or somewhere else in amerika--http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1524133/pg1 Hmmm...

LOL.., Monterey Ca., versus Monterey in that other place. I remember when you could buy something that said Made in USA, versus Made in U.S.A. Seems the USA product was made in Japan, although the rumor was china. Regardless, the commie chinese, and Mexican governments are in cohoots to destroy America, and turn it into amerika. We will begin to make parts, (batteries), in the country again, but as slave laborers to the nwo under the directions, or dictates, of red army generals, and mexican drug lords. This will happen due to the fact that there is a highway being built from mexico and Canada, going through our country. Our ports are being rented by commies, and there is a project to have 'special economic zones' built around certain airport hubs, like Boise, Idaho, where a 50 square mile parcel of land will have red army chinese workers in management positions for factories 'hiring' the local soon to be starving masses of Boise.., i.e., hired slaves. Maybe batteries proudly Made in Boise S.E.Z. will be the most sought after, or discussed in future Bejing Jeep Forums. I wonder if my XJ will last that long. Maybe I should put in an order for a brand new XJ: BAW Qishi S12, http://www.carnewschina.com/2011/02/01/beijing-auto-qishi-s12-listed-priced/ to be made perhaps in: http://www.latenightinthemidlands.com/profiles/blogs/china-buying-the-usa-building --or somewhere else in amerika--http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1524133/pg1 Hmmm...

lol, oh you.

This thread would not have been complete without a nice conspiracy rant.

On a related note, I just used my warrenty to swap out a red top on sunday

Was walking around at work, an industrial fishing port, and some guy dropped a brand new 1150CCA Odyssey, which cracked open the bottom corner, and up along one side, blah, blah, blah. Sat there for a week, nobody wanted a broken new battery, as most thought it would no longer take distilled water, and electrolite, lol. So, finder's keeper's, etc. Took it, and silconed it up, wrapped some hundred mile tape around it. Nice battery now. Won't fit in my XJ though, it's like 18" long, lol, but might figure a way to carry it around in the cargo area, maybe run cables up to the starting system and use the regular battery location for a winching model battery, (as suggested by a NAXJA Member). If you google around for the world's best automotive battery you'll find something spectacular, and expensive. In conspiracy denials, there will be those who will throw flowers in front of your XJ as you pass through broken down villages of lessor battery owning primates. Are your papers unt in order?

I've got a yellow top D34/78 (and have been running it for 6 months now)... Couldn't be happier. The only real draw on it is my Engel MT35, which sustains 32 degree interior temps even when it's dealing with 120 degree ambient temps inside the vehicle.

Only one time did the battery even seem drained - the car sat out in the sun for 3 days in the middle of June (in NC), without being started or moved, with the fridge running (d'oh), and the car fired up without a problem (it just sounded strained).

This isn't a long-term testimonial by any means, but I'm definitely happy.

I had to replace my red top this week and yes the warranty was over already, by 5 years. I guess if 8 years running a battery is not good I got screwed. :D:D I have also run Interstates with long term success aswell.

iwannadie : would you know why Costco don't have any optimas at this time ? Best price in my parts for Optimas but every Costco in town is out of them and none on order.

I had to replace my red top this week and yes the warranty was over already, by 5 years. I guess if 8 years running a battery is not good I got screwed.

Your battery was pre Johnson Controls and not one made in Mexico.

You succeeded in proving a point.. but not the one you intended. :moon:

I've owned allot of of Optima's. Made in Mexico and in the USA. The warranty now is better than it has ever been and I have never had an issue returning it for replacement. I have 3 yellow, 2 blue and 2 reds right now and they do their job considering only one vehicle gets driven at a time and the boat no more than 5-6 times a year.

Plus, laying the battery on it's side is a requirement for me.
101_2641.jpg

Last edited:
Your battery was pre Johnson Controls and not one made in Mexico.

You succeeded in proving a point.. but not the one you intended. :moon:

im working on 5 years with my mexican optima.... one of the first things i did to the cherokee when i got it. even before i joined naxja.

your proving a point as well... why you hatin?

iwannadie : would you know why Costco don't have any optimas at this time ? Best price in my parts for Optimas but every Costco in town is out of them and none on order.

Edit button gone, should read :

OptimaJim : would you know why Costco don't have any optimas at this time ? Best price in my parts for Optimas but every Costco in town is out of them and none on order.

I've got a yellow top D34/78 (and have been running it for 6 months now)... Couldn't be happier. The only real draw on it is my Engel MT35, which sustains 32 degree interior temps even when it's dealing with 120 degree ambient temps inside the vehicle.

Only one time did the battery even seem drained - the car sat out in the sun for 3 days in the middle of June (in NC), without being started or moved, with the fridge running (d'oh), and the car fired up without a problem (it just sounded strained).

This isn't a long-term testimonial by any means, but I'm definitely happy.

That's more of a testimonial to your fridge than your battery.

FWIW I have a USA built D34M blue top deep cycle that I got off ebay from a military surplus auction. It looked brand new and had no month or year punched out yet. It worked well for about... a year or so. And it continues to "work" but barely. I have to put it on a charger every night just so it will start.

It gets really hot and faintly squeals while it charges. This is using an AGM float charger at 10amps. I switch it over to a 2 amp float charger if I know I'm not gunna drive it for a while.

your proving a point as well... why you hatin?

The purchase of a company and the eventual relocation to Mexico, at the cost of American jobs all for squeezing out a few extra dollars for the share holders.

The hiring of an "e-care manager" to search out Optima threads and defend the company.. reads like Damage Control to me.

I own two Optima's, but today i'd be looking at Odyssey if i was buying.

The purchase of a company and the eventual relocation to Mexico, at the cost of American jobs all for squeezing out a few extra dollars for the share holders.

The hiring of an "e-care manager" to search out Optima threads and defend the company.. reads like Damage Control to me.

I own two Optima's, but today i'd be looking at Odyssey if i was buying.

So your political views should outweigh everyone's personal experiences?

iwannadie,

Our Monterrey production facility is in Mexico and we do provide a link to a video of our plant on our website. I didn't even think of the Monterey in California and I apologize for the confusion. MACH90XJ, while we would prefer that all of our retail partners stock our entire product line, some retailers carry inventory based on seasonal demand and/or past sales history.

OverlandXJ, an eight-year old Optima was built during JCI's ownership of Optima. Unfortunately, some accusations are based on emotion and have no basis in fact, although everyone is welcome to express their own opinion. If someone’s agenda is to bash products or companies that have a global presence rather than only in the USA, that is a choice. Our choice is to focus on product performance, application issues and service based on fact, not opinion. Ultimately, we strive to be proactively involved with and available to our customers to ensure the best product experience possible and that includes a presence on more than a thousand message boards, just like this one.

Most of the folks buying Chryslers with engines (or entire vehicles) made in Mexico are concerned more with quality, than country of origin. That doesn't mean I'm not active on those message boards as well. One of our big initiatives is to cut down on the number of deeply-discharged batteries returned under warranty, which work fine after being properly recharged. That is how 962drrhino picked up his $45 Optima and why my wife's truck now has a used YellowTop. Of all the videos on our YouTube channel, our parallel charging video has the most views by far, because we're promoting the heck out of it.

This is an industry-wide issue and hiring eCare Managers to help address this problem is not the cheap or easy solution. Other companies have chosen a much cheaper route and this is to simply void the warranty on their batteries, if they are found to be discharged below a specific voltage level. If you are in the habit of deep-cycling a battery, you'll probably want to take a close look at the warranty of the next battery you buy, before making your purchase.

The reality is that most large, successful consumer product manufacturers either contain internationally-sourced components or have international manufacturing capability. This is vital for Optima because we distribute a significant volume of our batteries outside the USA. The decision to place a manufacturing facility in a certain location is based on many factors. For automotive batteries, component and product distribution plays a much larger role in total cost than labor. The Optima manufacturing facility shown in the video uses state of the art, automated processes that are currently producing the best quality product possible. This is proven by indisputable field and internal testing. Our true defect rate is lower today than it has even been.

Anthrax323, playwithit, xcm, I'm glad to hear you are all pleased with your Optimas. Milford Cubicle II, the first four digits of the serial number found on a white, 1”x3” non-spillable label will give you the year and date of your battery's production. For instance, all batteries being built today will start with “1209.” Fully-charged, your BlueTop should measure about 13.0-13.2 volts and if your battery starts squealing (venting) gets hot to the touch (warm is ok) while charging, you should discontinue charging immediately. If you cannot fully-charge the battery at a lower amperage rate without having the battery get hot to the touch or vent, it should probably be recycled.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

OverlandXJ, an eight-year old Optima was built during JCI's ownership of Optima.

OK, i'll admit my feeling about Optima are political and stem from their departure from the US.. i'll give you that.

I also apologise i assumed any Optima that lasted 8 years was pre JC.

Now, when was production shifted to Mexico? Are you willing to admit that the increase of quality complaints are related?

Back