• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions needed

Shomsky462 said:
im right youre wrong
you lose i win
my xj is cooler thatn yours

i highly doubt that, i replaced every single normal bolt with the star shaped ones, oh how i love them. try and beat that

ohh yeah well i scratched my name into my cylindar heads so i knew they were mine!

Shomsky462 said:
ohh yeah well i scratched my name into my cylindar heads so i knew they were mine!

Oh Yeah?

Well you may be the smartest newbie out there!

Probably not, but :dunno:

LOL!!! I just put some really low bicycle gears in there because i coudnt find ring and pinions small enough so im pretty much running 7.35 ratio. do you know of any xjs with a 4.5" lift and 1.5" shackles that have 35's?

Shomsky462 said:
LOL!!! I just put some really low bicycle gears in there because i coudnt find ring and pinions small enough so im pretty much running 7.35 ratio. do you know of any xjs with a 4.5" lift and 1.5" shackles that have 35's?
nah you did it wrong! You put the bicycle sprockets into the tcase and then you end up with multiple gears in there :D If you do it right you can end up with a 7 speed 231 (the chain would be pretty damn narrow though)

hahah lol thats funny cause i race downhill bikes and do all the crap that goes with bike building and i used to work at a bike shop and yay bikes are cool

I debated wether or not I should say anything but realized that I must.

Here is my question/opinion........:

I am running 32" swampers with 3:55 gears.......am I going to die?....Will I be able to climb the same obsicals that XJ's with 32" swampers and 4:88 gears climb?....Will I not be able to go 80 mph anymore?.....Is my axle weaker due to the fact the my gears are higher?

After modifying my XJ quite a bit, It always pisses me off to no end watching a stock XJ or any other stock vehical do what I do. I see that it is harder for them to succeed an obstical, but not impossible.

I can answer a few of these questions with my opinion about the old pinion.....

I might die.

I will be able to climb the same obsticals. I might have to think a little more however. Ive encountered this 3:55 vs 4.88 quite a bit.

I do 90 mph with 3:55 gears and 32" swampers.

I cannot mathematically tell you weather my axle is weaker or not; however, I can tell you (knock on wood) I am hard on my D30 & Chry 8.25 and have never broken it.

(truth)....I wish I had 4:56's or 4:88's......

Last edited:
I agree with 88rockxj: There was nothing in his original reply that was offensive. He just stated an opinion. Things didn't get heated until those that disagreed with him tried to (unsuccessfully) back him into a corner. It was good reading though! :)

Time to kiss and make up. :kissyou:

yardape said:
I agree with 88rockxj: There was nothing in his original reply that was offensive. He just stated an opinion. Things didn't get heated until those that disagreed with him tried to (unsuccessfully) back him into a corner. It was good reading though! :)

True.. nothing in his original post... till we got to this post. From that point everything deteriorated.... oh well.... he'll learn not to be so defensive and quick to attack... hopefully. I must say that I liked his latter shot at Justing with "do you know how to weld" :D That really fits in with the discussion about gears :D

And it's not that anyone was trying to back him in the corner but
4.56s and thats the proper gears to run with 33" tires and a 6 cyl
seems to be an EXTREMELY strong opinion without any room for disagreement :D

he's been pissed since everyone on advanced fab basically told him where to shove it on the pocketed LCA thread, and now the rest of the board must feel his wrath!!

trainwrexj said:
he's been pissed since everyone on advanced fab basically told him where to shove it on the pocketed LCA thread, and now the rest of the board must feel his wrath!!

you obviously know nothing about me or who i am, and go reread the pocketed la thread i think youre a lil mistaken.

yardape said:

thanks for being able to see it from the noobs side

alright here's the deal
I just originally asked if it was overkill, I know it was overkill. I didn't think the thread would get jacked by some guys arguing over who is right and who is wrong.....
the truth is I own a shop on phx and already knew this set up is overkill, but thats what us shop owners do, is try to make our stuff unbreakable. I just enjoy seeing what everyones oponion is on everything..
here's the setup that I already went w/
rear
currie hp d60 rockjock 4.56/detroit
front
hp d44 w/ d60 knuckles, ctms, chromos and ARB 4.56's
while I was at it, instead of trying to make a atlas II fit I just went w/ teraflx's teralow kit part #231-03+ and so far it works awesome I haven't got the 2low kit for it yet, figured w/ a selectable front really didn't need it, but maybe I'll change my mind.
I am only running 33x12.50r15 mtr's that are sipped(which I highly recommend) wrapped around some beadlocks. and I know alot of it is all overkill but w/ some of the trails here in Arizona the stronger you are the better your chances of making it home
so anyways sorry for getting you guys all wound up, I just like knowing everyones oponions

Back