• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter L-adapter removal

It is a T60 not a T55. Even when using a T60 with a 3/8" breaker I couldn't get mine to budge. And it just seems to leak more every month. Seems like it needs to be heated up but I am worried, once heated up the existing orings will definitely be finished, and if I still cannot get it off I'll have an even larger leak......

They're all tough - FSM torque for RENIX is 75 pound-feet (I don't know why, especially with the hole down the length of the screw and it being cross-drilled a bit away from the head. I've been torquing them to 35-40 pound-feet without incident.)

Best way to break them loose, I've found, is to just get a wrench on it and gradually lean on the thing until it starts moving. Make no sudden motion, because it's a great way to snap the damned thing off (then you've got a bigger problems than O-rings leaking...)

It seems like mine is "slightly" rounded off. Seems like I can get plenty of grip for tightening the bolt but not enough for loosening it. Like it won't keep itself straight in for loosening but it could for tightning. I don't know what to do so I just left it for now and continued driving along. But it is getting worse!

The idea is to use the adapter I've linked to in order to reduce the clearance issue and actually be able to get a wrench on there without dicking around with torx bits in the future.
Just for reference, the O-rings are not reusable (per a 35 yr certified anti-chrysler mechanic's strong recommendations)
He also has a block sitting on his workbench I'm going to hustle up to measure, so hopefully I can post back w/ specs.
Thanks guys!

Turns out everything I have in hand (the mechanic had an elbow just sitting on his workbench from an HO) is threaded with 3/4-16
The elbow itself, both sides of the 'e-connector', and the 'e-bolt'
Now, to do it!
After I doublecheck space in the engine bay, talk about placement w/ my mechanic, and make sure he doesn't think I'm crazy.
I'll post back with results unless something makes me wuss out.
Later!

Turns out everything I have in hand (the mechanic had an elbow just sitting on his workbench from an HO) is threaded with 3/4-16
The elbow itself, both sides of the 'e-connector', and the 'e-bolt'
Now, to do it!
After I doublecheck space in the engine bay, talk about placement w/ my mechanic, and make sure he doesn't think I'm crazy.
I'll post back with results unless something makes me wuss out.
Later!

Had half a hunch - I just need to verify it for all variants and years.

Pix, please!

It seems like mine is "slightly" rounded off. Seems like I can get plenty of grip for tightening the bolt but not enough for loosening it. Like it won't keep itself straight in for loosening but it could for tightning. I don't know what to do so I just left it for now and continued driving along. But it is getting worse!
use some valve lapping compound on the torx bit, a trick i picked up doing alignments and brake work

Maybe I should try that sometime. But I think heat is the game. Although all I have access to at home is a small propane torch; I think oxy acy would do a much better job. I am thinking the oil dried orings are causing the bolt to stick. I have tried with the motor warm and still no bolt loosening.

I have no pictures to add as of yet, all of the components are in the article linked to in the OP.
Once I have use of another car (my sister is going away for the summer, bwahahaha) I'll tackle this... with a small helping of other prep-for-long-distance-driving fixes and avec professional assistance so I don't blow anything up :p
Once I do, I'll post, and pm you (5-90) re: the parts.
~A

Alas, my mechanic talked me out of it until such time as I go to add an oil cooler, so no parts are available.
However, I should be sure all my questions are answered from the OP.
Yes, you can pull that locator pin out of the block.
The threads in the block the e-bolt threads into, the e-connector, and the oil filter are all the same, 3/4-16
The seal surface on the block is the same as on the elbow, 2-1/2".
So you could easily use PermaCool PN 2791 and an HO e-connector to make the basis for a filter relocation/oil cooler project.
Sorry for the disappointment, but thanks for the help.

interesting post. my L adapter came off without incident, and with all my research the torx bolt was still not what everyone said, T70 maybe, but I could understand the idea behind a remote system, although I'm not sure a standard one wouldn't be fine. I practically have to remove my starter every time I want to change my oversized KN oil filter. PITA! On the list of things to do.
BTW I ended up cutting off a T70 and putting a ratcheting wrench directly on the T70 and took some force but by no means was I really leaning on it. It's a 93 HO.

Back