• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter housing bolt

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so replacing the o-rings on the filter housing for the second time. Bolt is the Torx version, I recall how much fun I had installing it last time and how much fun it was getting it back off.

Has anyone taken a nut and welded it to the end of the bolt?

I'm thinking of a 3/4" 12 point on the end. Then I can use a gear wrench on the end at least.

Would be easier/stronger to weld a T60 bit to a length of flatbar ... Not sure if the center bolt is cast, sintered, or machined would be my concern.
Another option if you want a bolt head, replace the adapter with a Renix/early HO version ... Up to 93 IIRC, they have a 5/8" bolt head. Just knockout the roll pin and clock as desired. Slightly different oring sizes inside, but they cost $2 or less for the set at any parts store.

The center torx is getting pretty loose. I don't think it's cast, being the center is drilled and the cross ports. I already had the renix style, on the old engine but doubt I have any of those parts left.

I just ordered new o-rings from McMaster.

Last edited:
okay this is how you fix the stupid torx nut on the housing bolt:

fiqbkYAsoYacPNYWkQkSoaoBJwm7HJEwgc7cVzC9JmSt=s1311-no

Take a 3/4 12 point bolt and cut the head off and weld to the bolt housing. Install took about 30 seconds compared to the eternity it took to get it of.

Back